Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kinda Dull

I am finding the Sims 3 to be on the dull side. I find it frustrating how often the game gets in your way and won't let you do things. For a while I played the 'proper' way, getting my people to advance, having successful careers and so on, but that's only fun for so long. I wanted to indulge my evil side, but for the most part the game simply wouldn't let me.

I had one of my single guy sims adopt a child. He was a slob and master of the underworld, but the most evil things I could get him to do was commit adultery and knock over trash cans. I figured I would play the new child as really evil.

I told her to ride her bike downtown after curfew, but she would turn right around and come back home after going only a block. I tried to have her play with the stove, no dice. Fight with somebody? Nope. Can she at least knock over the lousy garbage can? Can't do it; sorry. About the worst things she is capable of is insulting somebody, playing hooky and neglecting her homework, and it won't take a lot of that before the social worker simply comes back and gives her the hook.

Maybe if she had the klepto trait she could steal things, but she was adopted so I couldn't choose that. Her dad has it, but I found that when he did swipe things, the other sims really didn't seem to care very much. "Hey! You just stole my $1000 sculpture! I'm going to take a bath." And what is with this limit on stealing only one thing a day? :shock:

A couple more things. The path finding ability of individual sims is terrible, especially considering this is the third incarnation of the game. They constantly get in each others way and just stand there and tap their feet. :roll:

Having a party is so frustrating I find myself wanting to wall the house up and watch them all expire. As soon as the guests show up, it's inevitable that the host will want to do something completely stupid like take a bath or go to sleep, and the guests will bottleneck and spend half of the party trying to figure out how to navigate through the front door. Outside parties work best it seems.

Comments

• Options
    crazybadazycrazybadazy Posts: 1,144 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm sorry that you are having problems. The last thing you put about trapping the people at the party sounds like a really cool idea. You could load up your sim with food in their inventory, let all the rest die!
  • Options
    Roxas982859Roxas982859 Posts: 749 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Lee66 wrote:
    A couple more things. The path finding ability of individual sims is terrible, especially considering this is the third incarnation of the game. They constantly get in each others way and just stand there and tap their feet. :roll:

Hey compared to some of the past games they ca get through things much easier believe it or not!

in sims 2 u couldn't put the coffee table in front of the couch like in real life or else u would get them stomping there feet and stuff.

but it still kinda annoys me tht they have to stand they and wait for each other to move, sometimes they even move back to where they were and then u have to wait more! :evil:
  • Options
    KatlinemasKatlinemas Posts: 835 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I wish path finding was better too! Sometimes my Sims are standing about a METRE away from each other, and they STILL stop and tap their little animated feet! AAARGH!

I hate it! I wish my Sims actually COULD fit through a gap a Sim big!
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I don't like hosting parties either since my guy always ends up ditching the guests to do some skill building. But like every other game out there you will eventually get bored from time to time.
  • Options
    FatCatFatCat Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited December 2009
    The pathfinding is indeed still annoying.
    Per example, I always have a double front door and still
    they have to go through one by one.. :?
    Tap, tap, tap

Parties are ....... :shock:
    I can manage the feettapping and replacing the radio
    5 times because it has to be in the same room you wanne
    dance in with someone....sigh

Oh well, at least we can lock doors again which can help a bit
    with parties.

Anyway, I do agree with Lee66.
    Sometimes I just chuckle about these stupid things.
    3 minutes to do a simple task,
    sims blocking eachother 'in the sahara', taking the long way
    instead of the short one.
    Because it is so typical The Sims.....

Outside parties... Hmm, that's actually a really good idea!
    Thanks for that.

Put dispenser hereanimaatjes-cupcake-13719.gif
  • Options
    Lee66Lee66 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Sometimes playing this game makes me feel like I am on the receiving end of a morality lesson - work hard, be diligent, accumulate possessions and steadily upgrade your lifestyle.

The sims who are supposed to be the bad guys are kinda bland. Fights are comic-like and nobody gets hurt. Jail terms last a few hours and all crime is non-violent. There are no car accidents, no wars. It couldn't be more G-Rated if it were designed by the Disney corporation. I just want some spice, some risk involved. Sure, you can have fun the way it is, but it's never exciting. I'm not asking for Grand Theft Auto, but let the occasional baseball crash though the living room window. This world would put Norman Rockwell to sleep.
  • Options
    CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited December 2009
    Lee66 wrote:
    Sometimes playing this game makes me feel like I am on the receiving end of a morality lesson - work hard, be diligent, accumulate possessions and steadily upgrade your lifestyle.

The sims who are supposed to be the bad guys are kinda bland. Fights are comic-like and nobody gets hurt. Jail terms last a few hours and all crime is non-violent. There are no car accidents, no wars. It couldn't be more G-Rated if it were designed by the Disney corporation. I just want some spice, some risk involved. Sure, you can have fun the way it is, but it's never exciting. I'm not asking for Grand Theft Auto, but let the occasional baseball crash though the living room window. This world would put Norman Rockwell to sleep.

Lee66, you have no idea how many people feel the way you do about all of that. There used to be these extremely heated arguments on the TS2 site about those very issues -- how realistic should the game be, how much violence, how many vices, what sorts of random craziness should occur (your baseball through the window is a perfect example). There were always those that would clamor for more of that, and then others who thought such notions were practically sin and would tell those people to go somewhere and play GTA or something. That was always so annoying -- just because people want those things doesn't mean they want Sims to be a first person shooter.

I tend to lean more towards your POV. I have always wished for those sorts of things, and using mods & hacks helps some (I can't go into detail of some of the cool hacks & mods I had for TS2...made the game MUCH more interesting...), but there are still so many things that modders simply can't produce. I fired up TS3 day before yesterday after not having played for over a week or more. I played for about 30 minutes, shut it down, and started up Dragon Age. There's just something about TS3 that doesn't grab me the way the previous incarnations did. It's lost something (and I LOVE your analogy about the 'morality lesson')...it feels like it's trying to be something that it isn't...some of that unique Sims world charm is stripped away, and I don't know if it'll ever come back.

Some people who claim to be 'true' Sims fans seem to think that if you say that, you're not a fellow 'true' fan. I have every single solitary Sims game, EP, and SP (TS1, TS2, and unfortunately TS3) and also Sim City games, and I consider myself a long-time, die-hard, tried & true blue Sims fan. Honestly, the real fans of the game are the ones that know whether or not the game is as good as it should or could be anyway.
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,537 Member
    edited December 2009
    I agree with you. The most annoying thing to me are my kleptomaniac/ criminal sims. I have no say over what they can steal, so they usually take something useless, like a lamp. Then you get the suggestion from the game that your sim return it. :roll:

Your sim can be in the criminal career track and have the klepto' trait, but has to be invited inside a house? Yes, very boring.

Daredevil is a dull trait too. "Watch me eat dirt." :roll: "Ooh, I'm taking an extreme shower". It's the same as a regular shower, but I'm calling it "extreme". :roll: Humorous for a minute of two, but a waste of a trait. At least they can play with fire, but I expected more from this trait.

Most of my sim's parties have been out doors. Although parties are more of a build relationship affair instead of something fun to do. I had a pool party. You would think the dress code would inspire pool party behavior, but I had to make my sim get into the pool and invite everyone in. It still didn't feel like pool party. There needs to be a change in atmosphere when you throw a party. It feels no different than inviting a bunch of sims over for no reason at all.

I guess that will come with an expansion pack.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    igzigpuffigzigpuff Posts: 2,634 Member
    edited December 2009
    Lol, I agree our Sims need a little spice to their lives. :lol: I was so excited to throw my first party to see how these traits were going to change up the game...it was cute when they all showed up with plates of food, squee...then the pathing problems started :( . It was a pool party and they showed up in swimwear and no one swam... :? By the time they all got in the house, they all started to say they had to leave, but it was an epic party since my Sim had the lifetime reward for parties, but it was pretty lame as parties go. :x :roll:
  • Options
    JTheGreatJTheGreat Posts: 447 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I agree with you on the party thing. I just don't have them. *Sigh*

I just invite a couple of friends over and order a pizza. My sim's not that social, so it works.
  • Options
    wingedfolconwingedfolcon Posts: 114
    edited December 2009
    there are several things that could help spice up a pool party, or just the pool in general....like a diving board, and pool toys. some inflatables for the kids, and maybe something like a set for pool vollyball, or water polo. i never had sims 2, only the orginal sims and all its expansions, and though all the load times for going anywhere were a pain, it also had a bunch of neat concepts and items that i hoped to see in sims 3, but they are not. like a pool table would be nice. and maybe have sims be able to bet on it.

or pets, i know pets were popular in sims and sims 2, so why not have it in sims 3 to start, instad of having us wait for an expanson? i am left wondering, with the world the way it is set up, should an expanion with pets come out, where would the store end up? would you have to replace one of the other comunity lots with it, or perhaps it would make some of the large empty stretches of land into lots and be on one of them, also giving you more lots to build on.

though i do wonder, the 'making magic' expansion for the sims was one of the cooler expansions in my opinon, albeit slow and tedious to gather spell components, and i sorta think it would be cool to bring back in some way to sims3, that or at least the genie.

wow i have really gotten off topic. sorry about that. i do agree on the path finding though. there are times it would be a lot easier for my sim to just run in a straight line to get where i want him to go, yet no, he has to go a more round about way and take a car.
  • Options
    JazzypooJazzypoo Posts: 325 Member
    edited December 2009
    i couldn't agree with you more, pardon my phrasing but this game is completely neutered compared to the sims 2. seriously, no hot tub? i remember how hard i laughed the first time i had my sims "play under water" then resurface coughing lol the sims 3 is BORING when it comes to interactions too. no more feather tickling? spanking? and what about the big guffaw that would start after exchanging gossip? i hardly laugh when i play the sims any more =[
  • Options
    wingedfolconwingedfolcon Posts: 114
    edited December 2009
    i guess some of that was simply taken out to try to ensure that the game remained a T rated game. but seriously, we got a beach, we totaly need beach vollyball.
  • Options
    Lee66Lee66 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Heh, an extreme shower, you madman!!

I'm starting to think of it as the Will Wright phenomena. You develop an innovative, groundbreaking concept, and wrap it in lackluster gameplay.

The old Sim City games were worthy of love, but even we who love them admit there were big problems. The bigger the cities got, the slower the game got, and sooner or later you're unleashing natural disasters for something to do.

His latest game was Spore. I thought the creature creator was brilliant, but the actual gameplay was dull and repetitive. By the third time through, I had had enough.

I do like the fact that his games tend to be more "sandbox" than zero-sum. There's no "I win / you lose / in your face" like you find in an online first-person shooter. Sure, that kind of thing can be great fun if you're good and you're on a tear, but you know that somewhere the person you're owning is having a bad day.
  • Options
    DannyRainDannyRain Posts: 104
    edited December 2009
    i remember in ts1 drew carry would come to your parties and everyone would have a blast. it was a lot funner that way to me. But yes ts3 is getting a bit boring. im constantly trying to indulge my way into something new for my favorite sim in town.

First i tried to make her a rock star and i thought people would come up and ask for her autograph but they dont seem too do that.

next i made her a cheft she almost has all her cooking skills so now she can feed her new family.

i made her fall in love with one guy and get engaged to another.
    she go pregneat. broke up with her love of her life and got married to the guy she engaged.

And now im so bored i made an old lady be her house mate and i am thinking about making her cheat on her husband.

I just wish there was a little more.
    like a makin magic place,or people that are really celeberties and all your sims get excited when you meet them. you know, really anything.

I guess i just seem to miss the old days.
  • Options
    CylindersCylinders Posts: 195 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Whenever my sims hosts a party, the guests run into the house, leave a bunch of food in the kitchen and leave. :(
  • Options
    WhatsHisHandleWhatsHisHandle Posts: 75 Member
    The game can get pretty.. repetitive and simple. I can't free play anymore because there doesn't seem like there's enough excitement that goes on in between major life changing events (birth, death, ect.), and I just get so bored with it. I'll put the game down and forget all about it for months at a time, and I think I rely on that excitement of just getting back into it, creating, going new directions, taking new challenges and working within the realm of not only the game but what you can do as the player are the things that give it some pep again.

I do wish that they'd do another version that offered more gameplay elements... You can customize things to the nine, but what is customization with dull gameplay?
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    Well, since you've just replied to a post that was originally started in December 2009, I think we can put it down to the seven-year-itch. :lol:
  • Options
    WhatsHisHandleWhatsHisHandle Posts: 75 Member
    KarinL wrote: »
    Well, since you've just replied to a post that was originally started in December 2009, I think we can put it down to the seven-year-itch. :lol:

It's habit at this point! To be fair though, if I had to guess a thing I'd be doing in my mid-twenties back when I was a little kid, I'd totally have said it would've been awesome if I was still playing video games :p
  • Options
    AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    Lee66 wrote: »

I've always thought how it would be interesting if EA (unlikely) or some other company would make a more adult geared (age 18+) Sims type games. No censor boxes, include adult humor and innuendo, more realistic interactions and violence. You know, the great life management/God mode type of simulation gaming mixed with a little humor like Conker's Bad Fur Day, Leisure Suit Larry, Saints Row, for example. Little less 'politically correct doll house game' and a little more 'made for tycoon/simulator game connoisseurs in their 20s and 30s' type of game.