Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Freeze Ray!?

I've had the Outdoor Retreat expansion for a while now but while on Vacation my Sim suddenly has the option to "Freeze Ray" her boyfriend.
I did it and now he's turned blue...
Her Career is Doctor not Scientist (haven't played the Scientist Career yet) if that makes any difference.
Any one know if he will go back to normal?

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yes he will go back to normal after a while. I'm not sure how long it will last, look at his moodlet, that should give you an idea. My sim is always freezing her coworkers, and they all turn different colors, usually lasting a day or two, but they always return back to normal.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    He'll go back to normal eventually but it's strange that she got that ability without being a scientist. lol.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    This bug's been knocking about for a while now - I first noticed in back at the beginning of April. But of all the (many) glitches this game has, I really don't mind it! :D
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    You should put this into the bug section.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    My simself is a scientist, she's got the Freeze Ray. Her Astronaut roomie Liberty *also* has the Freeze option... I thought it was maybe (unlikely) because they live together... but "bug" is more believable.
  • Options
    marie29marie29 Posts: 200 Member
    Oh so I am not the only one that has that problem. Oh well I can live with that bug.
  • Options
    iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    There IS another way to get a SimRay other than being a Scientist. I think it might be new with the Seasons expansion, though. There's a computer interaction called "Purchase Gift..." which allows you to buy all sorts of odd and rare items to use as gifts. One such item is the SimRay. Though, without the Science career, you still can't upgrade it with new functions.
    On a side note, I think it's really stupid that you lose the ability to do Science stuff if you quit the Science career (for instance, to pursue other careers for the Renaissance Sim aspiration), so you can't use the Invention Constructor to make or upgrade devices anymore, and you can't use the Chemistry Lab either. It's not like someone would just forget how to do their job, just because they resigned. No other career has this ridiculous effect and I really hope they patch it sometime.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    There IS another way to get a SimRay other than being a Scientist. I think it might be new with the Seasons expansion, though. There's a computer interaction called "Purchase Gift..." which allows you to buy all sorts of odd and rare items to use as gifts. One such item is the SimRay. Though, without the Science career, you still can't upgrade it with new functions.
    On a side note, I think it's really stupid that you lose the ability to do Science stuff if you quit the Science career (for instance, to pursue other careers for the Renaissance Sim aspiration), so you can't use the Invention Constructor to make or upgrade devices anymore, and you can't use the Chemistry Lab either. It's not like someone would just forget how to do their job, just because they resigned. No other career has this ridiculous effect and I really hope they patch it sometime.

Yes, it always irks me that my scientists lose those options when they no longer work :/
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    townie aliens at least used to always start with a freeze ray, too. learned that when i wound up playing as a few of them. dunno if it still happens

weird for non-scientist, non-alien sims to have the ability without having gotten it as a gift, or bought it at a retail store (my alien scientist sells several fully upgraded ones, just in case i've got other sims i want to have them)

...and i thought scientists kept the ability to make/upgrade everything they learned when they quit the career? they've got a hidden trait called 'has_been_scientist' that's supposed to allow stuff like that
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Any sim can use the freeze ray if they have one in their inventory. Before seasons, you could get one using cheats in build/buy. As others have mentioned - you can now purchase a freeze ray as a gift on the computer if have seasons. I do not know how your doctor sim got a freeze ray - no sim just gets them automatically (even scientists have to make them) except for perhaps townie aliens that someone mentioned (not sure - have never checked a townie alien inventory). If you have seasons and celebrated Winterfest or any holiday with gifts - it is possible your sim got it as a gift. As others have said - the sim that was frozen will go back to normal - they will just be blue for a little while.

I am curious if seasons has any effect on this now though - like what would happen if you freeze ray a sim outside when it is freezing out - wonder if the sim would freeze to death (since it happens pretty fast) before it even broke free from the ice? The animation for freezing to death is the same as the freeze ray - covered in ice - other than they fall to the ground vs stand. Anyone tried this yet?
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    townie aliens at least used to always start with a freeze ray, too. learned that when i wound up playing as a few of them. dunno if it still happens

weird for non-scientist, non-alien sims to have the ability without having gotten it as a gift, or bought it at a retail store (my alien scientist sells several fully upgraded ones, just in case i've got other sims i want to have them)

...and i thought scientists kept the ability to make/upgrade everything they learned when they quit the career? they've got a hidden trait called 'has_been_scientist' that's supposed to allow stuff like that

Guess that's broken too...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    MartinvMartinv Posts: 254 Member
    edited August 2018
    Interesting answers but...
    @EA_LANNA necro alert
  • Options
    iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    @Martinv - It's not your place to police the site. The admins recently did a thread about this very thing. Please avoid this kind of antagonistic behaviour and keep this forum peaceful. Besides, your post makes you guilty of the very thing you're criticizing. Just let the admins deal with things like this. Okay? Thanks.
    9ndehwc.png