Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who is playing the Upgrowth Challenge?

Is there anyone else here playing HollieBB's Upgrowth Challenge? www.upgrowthchallenge.com I found it through YouTube by watching emisims' playlist, then I started it yesterday and it's so much fun! But i can't find much evidence of it here on the forums, so I'm just curious whether anyone else is enjoying it like I am?

Comments

• Options
    CazualKarmaCazualKarma Posts: 85 Member
    I found this challenge today and I will start tomorrow! I love how much thought went to it and the website and guides are beautiful. I also like the restrictions and build up.

Are you using all the mods and cc? I am so curious about this challenge, I will let you know when and how I started!
  • Options
    LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    Hi!! I am so excited to have someone else to talk to about this! I tried most of the mods, but the only one I'm keeping is MC Command Center. I'm not worrying too much about townies, I tried the reduced townies mod, but it made the town feel too stale to me. I'll let townies generate like normal and just update the appearance of the ones my family interacts with. Finding period-style CC is really fun though.

What are you thinking of doing career and number of sim wise for the first generation? I hope the set-up goes smoothly for you!
  • Options
    Yes very fun to share this with someone else! I never really was into challenges or legacy's, but I really wanted to try something new. When I found this I was excited right away!

I will play with all the mods, I am separating my Sims 4 folders so when something happens my other saves and settings won't be affected. It is now 8 am here (I live in Europe), and I have my day off so I will begin to set up now. :smiley: (downloading the mods and CC, placing lots, etc.) I never use screenshots but I will try to do that so you can see how my set up will be. I am not sure if I will finish setting up today, but I will let you know.

I think I will start with a single sim, and start with a home career. I am not much of a family player so starting with 1 sim let's me adjust a little bit. Playing with children will really challenge my patience. :wink: Maybe I will start with a farmer, and make a sweet man, not to smart, but a man who loves being outside and loves animals and nature. He is also very religious but will be a sweetie with his wife. I think I will create or download a few families, and 1 of them will have his future wife in it.
    As to the lots: I am not much of a builder so I will use a lot of gallery builds and tweak them to my own likings.

So, I will now start setting up! (the most fun part :blush: )

How about your plans?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oh and I have an idea! Maybe if we like eachothers families we can share them to make the population of our town a little bigger? I always find it refreshing to use households made by others. (and with Sims 4 Tray Importer you can see what CC is used on a sim)

Ok I will get to it now!

Edit: With what time method do you play? I will play with method 1 on normal life span.
  • Options
    I would love to use your Sims in my world! It will be interesting to see how differently their lives turn out. I'm playing with the normal lifespan and counting days for each generation. Since it's supposed to be 40 days for each gen., I'm going to say the decade changes every 20 twenty days. For example: the game starts in 1890, then in twenty days it's 1900, then in twenty days it's 1910. :p I like to have set rules like that.

I didn't get a chance to play today, but I've been playing with a couple HollieBBTv uploaded, the Mowerys. They are townsfolk, he's a struggling artist, and she wants to have a big family, but they lost their first pregnancy. :( they adopted a dog to help comfort her.

Part of what I'm enjoying is doing research into the decade to get inspired by the real history! I have a list of baby names, and I chose a dog breed that was popular in the 1890s. I hope the set up went smoothly for you! Has your farmer started life off well, or is he having a hard time getting started?
  • Options
    I am on my phone now so I will answer longer this afternoon. My phone autocorrects every word because the standard language is Dutch. So annoying :#

But I am still setting up :D I am a micromanager and also spent a lot of time looking for CC (I got really into it haha). So no gameplay for me yet. I hope I finish setting up today after work if I can find the time.
  • Options
    Let me introduce you to William Smith, a sweet man who comes from a good home. His parents past away and he inherited his fathers farm. His traits are loves outdoors, good and family oriented. He is just a sweetiepie. His dog's name is Jack, a Scotch Collie (this was a popular breed in the 1890s).
    hhkAFbd.png

I am currently busy finishing all the lots. I like a good start, it makes gameplay more fun for me. :)
  • Options
    I like him!!! He looks super friendly. :) I've never heard of a Scotch Collie before, but that's a pretty dog! I'll have to look scotch collie up and learn about them a little.

I finally had time to play again today. Here's my sim Teresa, (Again, HollieBBtv originally created her and her husband, but I gave her a make-over with CC clothes.)
    hvdq40.jpg

I'm not strictly following the rules about how to decorate the homes, instead I'm finding pictures of real houses and interiors from the era and using those as guidelines.

Here's their side yard, the laundry pack stuff is perfect for an extra household chore!
    axnvdj.jpg

This is Teresa's husband, Calvin. He's been very focused on his art, but he's still not very good. :p
    xkyhc4.jpg

And this is James, their only child so far. I randomized his trait to Angelic, he's only been a toddler for about a day in-game so he hasn't accomplished much yet.
    b4dp34.jpg

Their dog Cinnamon (Boston Terrier) did try to beg for food from James though. I think it was their first interaction.
    ok0w5.jpg

Setting up the game to look like the 1890's does take quite a bit of effort, I hope it turns out to your liking. :)

To anyone else out there, :p , please join in! I want to hear as many unique takes on playing this challenge as possible.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    I'm waiting to see the Upgrowth Light rules. :3
  • Options
    blindsimmerblindsimmer Posts: 8 New Member
    I want to see if there's a challenge like the upgrowth challenge for the sims 3.
  • Options
    That would be cool. I was thinking that a historically based challenge about land takeover would be cool for the sims 3, since you can buy the community lots. I've been playing crusader kings recently. :p so now I just want to buy all the land in the sims and become a noble.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Those Upgrowth Light rules are never coming, are they? -_-
  • Options
    CBroxCBrox Posts: 415 Member
    this sounds so fun. I tried the history challenge but felt it lacked in some rules as time went on. hopefully this is fun all through. i love downloading different time period outfits.
  • Options
    I'm still really enjoying it! I like the build/buy mode restrictions, they make my sims struggle a bit more than normal. :p I jumped forward a bit to the 1920's when seasons came out, because I didn't want to deal with CC any more.
  • Options
    summer_berrysummer_berry Posts: 105 Member
    edited July 2018
    I was looking through the challenges, stories and legacies discussions on the forums when I came across this one and I was so excited to start it! I'm glad there's a few other people doing it as well! I definitely like the rules of this one more than just the Decades Challenge. I wanted to share my family so far :) The only mod I decided to use was MCCC. Also, I decided to use names that are common for the decades that each of the sims are in! I'm still in the 1890s though. I started with a married couple that I made specifically for this challenge!

Let me know what you think of the family! I'll keep updating if you guys like it :) It will definitely get more interesting once the kids are older!

This is Rose Winchester, one of the founders of the family. Her traits are Neat, Erratic and Family-Oriented.
    CnJq3qal.png

Harold Winchester is the other founder! His traits are Loves outdoors, Lazy and Self-Assured.
    HDHF7wcl.png

Harold had always longed to be a rich farmer... and well, he's got the "farmer" part down. He's also trying to bring in some money with his woodworking skills... but he isn't so great at it yet.
    FdQ3kxJl.png

Rose became pregnant, and of course on the first try, had triplets. Triplets. I'm going crazy already, taking care of these three. Poor Rose, Harold doesn't help at all with the children. Her erratic behavior and thoughts are making it difficult to concentrate on taking care of all three of them while also focusing on the rest of the house. Will she be able to keep them afloat by herself, especially since Harold wants more children (and soon)?
    9e13eeYl.png

From left to right, James, Emma and Mary are toddlers now. All of them got Harold's blonde hair! Two of them got Harold's blue eyes too, and Emma got Rose's brown eyes. They're so cute (when they're not terrorizing the house with making messes, throwing tantrums and crying...)
    YITIqJil.png?1

And here's the inside of their house so far!
    YswvBCkl.png

Hopefully Rose will be able to keep herself sane while keeping her family under control... if only Harold was any help!
    "We make our own future." - Dean Winchester, Supernatural
  • Options
    Hi @summer_berry ! :) welcome! Rose is gorgeous, and that toddler dress from seasons is perfect for that decade! Toddlers are rough, so good luck raising them. :p I like the story-telling aspects you have going on, like how will Rose's and Harold's relationship progress (or digress) and will Rose have a mental breakdown? The first gen is especially rough for random deaths, so those can make the family interesting too, be prepared. I would love to see how your challenge unfolds!