Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Clothing System Tweak Suggestions

I’d like to propose that the hot/cold weather attires be moved as subcategories beneath every clothing category. It can either be a tagging system (hot, cold, regular) or sub-slots (one/two of each per category).

I believe it will solve many issues that surfaced after the introduction of the new system:
  • freeze to death while doing outdoor exercise
  • Unordinary cloth-changing in certain situation (change from formal to shorts and T-shirt on a date because the seating is outside)
  • Everyday outfits becoming obsolete in summer and winter
  • (potential future problem) constant cloth-changing for sims who go outside a lot

In reality, we put on our attires based on the weather of a day. We usually don’t change when walking outside and then change again when indoor. So for me, it makes more sense for us to create hot/cold weather Everyday, Formal, Sports, etc.

Hopefully it’s not too late for Maxis to tweak this part.

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Honestly, I don't understand what was wrong with the old way:

It's cold outside, the Sims put on something warm. When they go inside, the warm clothes come off. Raining outside? Use an umbrella. Done.

I haven't played Seasons. So, I'm still trying to understand how the hot/cold thing is supposed to work. Is a Sim covered for hot/cold so long as one of the items that they are wearing is rated for the weather?

I mean, can a Sim put on a pair of cold weather earrings and be totally immune to the effects of the cold or what? It doesn't seem as if the hot/cold categories were thought through.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I really don't want to have to make 18 outfits for every sim. I do like their idea of adding two extra categories for it, but there are just some quirks they need to get around.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    [
    Cynna wrote: »

It's cold outside, the Sims put on something warm. When they go inside, the warm clothes come off. Raining outside? Use an umbrella. Done.

I haven't played Seasons. So, I'm still trying to understand how the hot/cold thing is supposed to work. Is a Sim covered for hot/cold so long as one of the items that they are wearing is rated for the weather?

I mean, can a Sim put on a pair of cold weather earrings and be totally immune to the effects of the cold or what? It doesn't seem as if the hot/cold categories were thought through.

The categories function as they're suppose to as you said. Doesn't matter what the Sim wears in everyday they will get uncomfortable if not wearing their cooler outfit in the hot category. My sim can be wearing shorts and a tank in everyday and they will get hot. Usually when it's pretty warm or cool they'll stay in everyday for the most part.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2018
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    The categories function as they're suppose to as you said. Doesn't matter what the Sim wears in everyday they will get uncomfortable if not wearing their cooler outfit in the hot category. My sim can be wearing shorts and a tank in everyday and they will get hot. Usually when it's pretty warm or cool they'll stay in everyday for the most part.

One question:

1. So does everything that the Sim is wearing have to be for hot weather (cold weather) in order for the protective effect to take place?

2. Can everyday clothing be manually copied over to the appropriate category by removing filters. Ex: A Sim can wear a nightgown as their everyday outfit with filters removed?

It still seems like a lot of unnecessary work, either way. There are six existing categories and the new hot/cold categories seem to be working at cross purposes to them.

@Simmer_chiyen, now I understand your proposed change. Other than going back to the Outerwear category that worked well in the previous games, your idea makes the most sense.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

One question:

1. So does everything that the Sim is wearing have to be for hot weather (cold weather) in order for the protective effect to take place?

2. Can everyday clothing be manually copied over to the appropriate category by removing filters. Ex: A Sim can wear a nightgown as their everyday outfit with filters removed?

It still seems like a lot of unnecessary work, either way. There are six existing categories and the new hot/cold categories seem to be working at cross purposes to them.

@Simmer_chiyen, now I understand your proposed change. Other than going back to the Outerwear category that worked well in the previous games, your idea makes the most sense.

To answer question 2, of course you can; if you want to transfer a bikini from your everyday outfit to your hot weather outfit, go on ahead. You'll have to probably remove filters to manually transfer it all but it'll work. Heck you can even wear a bikini for your cold weather outfit and you'll still be warm in winter.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    edited June 2018

Thank you. I think it’s the way that create less fuss but at the same time retain the “weirder story” part. Players can still tag unusual attires as hot or cold outfit, creating the “bikini in winter” story.

As to your second question, that’s the work-around I’ve been using now. But that doesn’t solve point one, two, and four.

Edit: remove accidental quote.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I don't think there are enough assets in the game to set up every sim with subcategories of each clothing, and I'm not keen on having to pick that many extra outfits for each of my sims.

I think a better solution would be to alter the activities based on the weather. If a Sim is going jogging in adverse weather, it takes them slightly longer to reach the freezing/burning point. When they reach the intermediary buff stage, they're forced to stop.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member

I agree. That is the way it worked on sims 2. You wore your regular clothing everyday and if you go outside and it happens to be winter, they will switch to winter clothing.
  • Options
    storminmaystorminmay Posts: 137 Member
    I’d like to propose that the hot/cold weather attires be moved as subcategories beneath every clothing category. It can either be a tagging system (hot, cold, regular) or sub-slots (one/two of each per category).

Just a comment of support that I personally LOVE this idea.
    Origin/Gallery ID: storminmay

The Venegas-Chan Family Tree
  • Options
    Cleo60Cleo60 Posts: 27 Member
    My idea for the clothing system would be that simple: Giving the player the possibilty to tag the (up to five) outfits in the categories we have already with four tags: Warm, hot, chilly, cold.

So if we'd like we could for example choose for the everyday outfits : T-Shirt (tag: warm), tanktop (tag: hot), light sweater (tag: xhilly), warm sweater (tag. cold). That's what the Sims choose appropriate to the temperatures INDOOR.

Same for the other categories like party, sports etc. And in addition only ONE outdoor-category, same procedure. So the Sim could wear for example a light cardigan (warm), a jacket (chilly) and a warm coat (cold) OUTDOOR. This way our Sims would have appropriate outfits for all temperatures and times of the year in their closets. :)

And if you don't like to create all these outfits: They could be given by the game randomly like it's used to be now.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    edited July 2018
    Cleo60 wrote: »
    My idea for the clothing system would be that simple: Giving the player the possibilty to tag the (up to five) outfits in the categories we have already with four tags: Warm, hot, chilly, cold.

So if we'd like we could for example choose for the everyday outfits : T-Shirt (tag: warm), tanktop (tag: hot), light sweater (tag: xhilly), warm sweater (tag. cold). That's what the Sims choose appropriate to the temperatures INDOOR.

Same for the other categories like party, sports etc. And in addition only ONE outdoor-category, same procedure. So the Sim could wear for example a light cardigan (warm), a jacket (chilly) and a warm coat (cold) OUTDOOR. This way our Sims would have appropriate outfits for all temperatures and times of the year in their closets. :)

And if you don't like to create all these outfits: They could be given by the game randomly like it's used to be now.

I'd love to see such system too. I believe I've even said something like that in some other thread :) The only thing I'd change is randomizing part. I'd be better if we could simply tag the outfit as appropriate for more than one weather.
  • Options
    MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2018
    Cleo60 wrote: »

This system makes perfect sense! Love this idea! The current system isn't flexible enough. It doesn't make sense that my sim would change their whole entire outfit when they walk outside the door.