Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

old. delete.

TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
edited January 2019 in Off Topic Chat
old. irrelevant.

Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on

Comments

• Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Some times, I have gotten some eye rolling, but those are usually people who look down on gaming in general, not just sims. Oh well, it's their problem. ;)
  • Options
    Stutum wrote: »
    Some times, I have gotten some eye rolling, but those are usually people who look down on gaming in general, not just sims. Oh well, it's their problem. ;)

I will never understand why people are so rude or bothered by what others hobbies are :/ Its so bizarre to me. Gaming in general does have its detractors though
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited February 2018
    My friends and other relatives (excluding my parents) think that the whole sims game franchise is 'inappropriate' and 'overly childish' for a 'grown-up college boy in his early 20s' which I don't agree.

I'll have to admit that I don't tell anyone that I'm an active sim player. I don't browse sims forums when people are around because of those negative reactions I used to get from other relatives but at the ends of the day everyone's got their own views on games and other whatnots so we might as well move on and don't take things too personally.

Happy simming. From a 20-year-old college boy.
    Post edited by Kelvin on
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member

I feel like it's often also gamers who have a negative opinion about simmers because 'the Sims is not a real game'.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    LunaSimmssLunaSimmss Posts: 34 Member
    It's rarely anyone other than hard core FPS gamers who claim that the Sims isn't a real game. (Wait what? How am I playing something that isn't a game?)
    OR people who don't play video games at all and think they are a waste of time. Either way, they don't know what they're missing! (;
  • Options
    theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member

I feel like it's often also gamers who have a negative opinion about simmers because 'the Sims is not a real game'.

If it is not a real game, then how am I playing it?
    tenor.gif
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    I hate people like this. People tend to be rude and judgmental about stuff that they don't understand and if someone isn't into gaming, then they won't be likely to understand the appeal of the Sims. Or, on the flip side, if they're one of those gaming snobs (you know the type,) then unless a game fits into their particular mold of what they think a game SHOULD be, they're going to be dismissive of it. Either way, I don't concern myself with their BS. Just tell them where to shove it. If something makes you happy, enjoy it. Life is too short.
  • Options
    OminousFlareOminousFlare Posts: 2,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Well, yeah, I could somewhat understand where these "rude" people are coming from since the Sims games aren't like your average video game, but I do agree that calling it a "weird game for weird people" is way over the line.

Honestly though, I'm hardly surprised, since people have been put off by things that are different from their worldview for centuries. I mean, you want to talk about being put off by something different, we could talk about race, gender, sexuality, or most recently, politics for that matter. It's like in our genes to discriminate.

But back on topic. People have been criticizing video games that are out of the norm for a long time, and not just simulation games (albeit one of the biggest victims). Visual novels, for that matter, were criticized by "real video gamers" (whatever that means) as not real video games - but at least with that argument, I could agree to a certain extent, because at least the logic fits (you don't have much interactivity in visual novels, and it all comes down to an argument over the semantics of what the term "game" really means).

Simulation and sandbox games like The Sims, on the other hand, were criticized for an entirely different reason, and there's certainly no convincing logic behind said criticism - it's because it's "casual gaming" (alarm bells ringing!!!). That's right, folks! It's no Witcher or Grand Theft Cash Cow! That means it's not a real video game! Because it's a relaxing experience unlike the edgy challenging Dark Souls 5 or Assassins Creed 10, it's not a real video game! Because these elitists are somehow the masters of vocabulary capable of dictating over the proper video game vernacular! Hail to our self-appointed masters who are more likely your stereotypical basement-dwelling keyboard warriors!

When it comes down to it, it's a load of nonsense, that's what it is. Honestly, if I were to use the proper term, it would be an English non-profanity that I couldn't type out here (it's an f-word, but again, not the expletive that's commonly used): someone who oppresses others into doing things their way - or else. A much more family-friendly term would be a "bully".

Like, I seriously don't understand the logic behind those people who would go out of their way to go to the Steam page of a relaxing game and write out a review saying how boring it is, asking how anyone would enjoy such a game for countless hours when I myself asked how anyone could sit through Civilization for weeks! I got bored in 2-3 days playing that game!

It's ridiculous that people have such mentality of how a video game should be like, and it does peeve me to no end whenever I see one of these people. Just leave us be and go play Dark Souls again for the umpteenth time for all I care. We have some "real" video games to play with! :lol:
  • Options
    SipopSipop Posts: 166 Member
    Yep, I definitely had people give me that "look" when they ask me what games I play and my respond is the Sims series.
    But I've been playing it since I was super young and now being 25. Lol they think it's odd. Like a lot of people say its weird because I'm playing "fake life?"
    Like no I also have a real life and job :).
    [
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,428 Member
    I think Sims is weird game for weird people like me. Who cares what people in internet forums say? Good that our forum is a port of harmony ;) .
  • Options
    Well, yeah, I could somewhat understand where these "rude" people are coming from since the Sims games aren't like your average video game, but I do agree that calling it a "weird game for weird people" is way over the line.

Honestly though, I'm hardly surprised, since people have been put off by things that are different from their worldview for centuries. I mean, you want to talk about being put off by something different, we could talk about race, gender, sexuality, or most recently, politics for that matter. It's like in our genes to discriminate.

But back on topic. People have been criticizing video games that are out of the norm for a long time, and not just simulation games (albeit one of the biggest victims). Visual novels, for that matter, were criticized by "real video gamers" (whatever that means) as not real video games - but at least with that argument, I could agree to a certain extent, because at least the logic fits (you don't have much interactivity in visual novels, and it all comes down to an argument over the semantics of what the term "game" really means).

Simulation and sandbox games like The Sims, on the other hand, were criticized for an entirely different reason, and there's certainly no convincing logic behind said criticism - it's because it's "casual gaming" (alarm bells ringing!!!). That's right, folks! It's no Witcher or Grand Theft Cash Cow! That means it's not a real video game! Because it's a relaxing experience unlike the edgy challenging Dark Souls 5 or Assassins Creed 10, it's not a real video game! Because these elitists are somehow the masters of vocabulary capable of dictating over the proper video game vernacular! Hail to our self-appointed masters who are more likely your stereotypical basement-dwelling keyboard warriors!

When it comes down to it, it's a load of nonsense, that's what it is. Honestly, if I were to use the proper term, it would be an English non-profanity that I couldn't type out here (it's an f-word, but again, not the expletive that's commonly used): someone who oppresses others into doing things their way - or else. A much more family-friendly term would be a "bully".

Like, I seriously don't understand the logic behind those people who would go out of their way to go to the Steam page of a relaxing game and write out a review saying how boring it is, asking how anyone would enjoy such a game for countless hours when I myself asked how anyone could sit through Civilization for weeks! I got bored in 2-3 days playing that game!

It's ridiculous that people have such mentality of how a video game should be like, and it does peeve me to no end whenever I see one of these people. Just leave us be and go play Dark Souls again for the umpteenth time for all I care. We have some "real" video games to play with! :lol:

I had soooo much fun playing sims last night! I don't even care lol! We're in good company, theres millions of us weirdos happily playing the sims <3:)

I debated myself about whether to buy a gaming laptop for sims or an xbox to play other games and I watched videos of others playing life is strange and the last of us and while they are fun to watch I prefer relaxing games. Those action games are nothing more than one stressful , annoying sequence after another. With like 5 or 10 minutes of downtime in between. That's not fun for me.

I just feel that the games with the fixed stories are as replayable @OminousFlare
  • Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    HA! :mrgreen: I can't say I've seen those words specifically, but that's pretty funny!

Honestly, @kaywilliams, I've gotten to the point in my life where people can say and think what they want about me, and I embrace it. If people were to judge for playing the Sims, it's their loss. The Sims is awesome, YOU are awesome, and that's all you need to worry about! :kissing_heart: To heck with the unenlightened!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    Callous_LilyCallous_Lily Posts: 198 Member
    I think Sims is weird game for weird people like me. Who cares what people in internet forums say? Good that our forum is a port of harmony ;) .

Like that outlook, embrace the weirdness. I don't want to shoot things. I prefer to torment my game characters more slowly.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,734 Member
    I don't care what others think about what makes me happy. I have been looked down on by others for worse things like my race and gender, so someone judging me based on the games I play is nothing to fret over.
  • Options
    ChicherinoChicherino Posts: 118 Member
    The Sims has an ever-growing community of parents and their children, as well as artists and storytellers. Not to mention the game has plenty of fantasy / supernatural elements.
    There's something for everyone, 'nuff said! :)
  • Options
    mika wrote: »
    I don't care what others think about what makes me happy. I have been looked down on by others for worse things like my race and gender, so someone judging me based on the games I play is nothing to fret over.

Thats a good way of viewing things :) Im a really sensitive person so lots of things get to me more than they should...
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,668 Member
    No, I don't think I've encountered that kinda negativity about The Sims but maybe cuz I don't talk about to "gamers". XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Empty by The Click Five
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MumuDesuyoMumuDesuyo Posts: 36 Member
    Fortunately not. I've seen some funny sarcastic memes about it but thats all in good fun I suppose