Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The game is more fun without pets...

Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
I came back to Sims 4 when C&D was announced and I hate to say this... but I'm finding myself not getting pets in game anymore.

My main gripe I think is that my Sims almost never autonomously interact with the pets, so if you just let them do their own thing, the pets will be neglected. Then, the whims are ridiculous and most don't give enough points to be worth it. The only one that's actually worth it is 'pet a dog' or 'pet a cat' but you need the cat and dog lover traits for those to show up... Buy more toys? Thanks but no thanks. Walk the dog and play with the cat? Sure, but for 10 SP? I'd rather admire some art or chat with another Sim. But they show up ALL THE TIME and I keep having to click them off...

It just makes it very hard to work on a Sim's aspiration and job when they get absolutely nothing for taking care of their pet. Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    Well you don't have to do the whims and they disappear on their own anyway.

My saves my sims interact with their pets a lot (without me telling them to) so much that their pets relationship bar is full and the bars with the other humans are just at acquaintance level.

I would find the game to be really boring without the pets hence why I never played more than 10 mins or something before pets came out.
  • Options
    BenincasaBenincasa Posts: 104 Member
    In a way it is nice that they don't autonomously interact with the cats and dogs because I think they would be as obsessed with them as they are with crying babies... But yes, it is super annoying that the whims are not worth much and they're always there and you have to click them away.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    My sims autonomously interact with their pets....not constantly, but that's fine as they would get nothing done if they interacted with pets all day. If the pet isn't getting the attention they need, then they seek it out...which seems pretty realistic. As for whims, I rarely pay attention to whims...I play the game to have fun, not rack up reward points for the sims.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I often forget when I have pets in the household. In one rags to riches game I was doing, I got got so caught up dealing with my sim that the family dog just ran around stinking and flea infested for most of it's life. Thankfully the pets in 4 don't seem to be as needy as the ones in 3. I just hate the whining to be walked all the time...especially when the dog is spending most of its time outside anyways.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My main gripe I think is that my Sims almost never autonomously interact with the pets, so if you just let them do their own thing, the pets will be neglected.

One thing I forgot to mention here....are your sims at "companions" level with the pets? Once the relationship is built up enough, there is an interaction that becomes available called "become companions" or something similar. If the pet is companions with the sim, they interact autonomously more.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    My sims interact with their pets no problem
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    BrandiregularBrandiregular Posts: 16 Member
    My sims are obsessed over the cat wand, I can't let them keep it in the inventory or they won't leave the cat alone. I don't know if I want them to do more interactions autonomously because if so, they will do it non stop, there's no middle ground
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My sims interact with cats and dogs but I don't tend to use them very much. They are very, very needy and a simple dog walk takes over three hours. I'm not a fan of the constant re occurring whims either. Buy a toy, buy a toy crate, play with laser pointer. I have a sim with no pets who gets whims to buy cat condos and bowls. He's active, glutton and evil.
  • Options
    KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    My sim interact with her dog just fine and get whims on buying a toy, pet the dog etc and she doesn't have the dog lover trait.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited January 2018
    The problem is kind of an evolving problem though in terms of it could get better or it could get worse.

The balancing of the attraction of objects and things to interact with is completely borked.

A computer in a household has an incredibly aggressive pull on a Sim - even a Sim that has never, ever, met your Sim before (Welcome Wagon) - they walk through the door and one of them is going to walk up 3 floors to a computer that they are magically attracted to.

So, a major problem that will continue is what objects you have in a house and what Sims you have.

EA's rigid system is not exactly the way I would do it. AI can be a lot more fluid and it isn't hard to do because you can bet your life that they tinker with values behind the scenes to put a weight on interactions and the attraction of interactions which a Simmer would probably like control of too.
    EDIT:
    I mean Maxis, not EA.

The bottom line is AI can be user dynamic. Sims probably could be more unique in their own individual attraction to something and it probably could be user defined.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The problem is kind of an evolving problem though in terms of it could get better or it could get worse.

The balancing of the attraction of objects and things to interact with is completely borked.

A computer in a household has an incredibly aggressive pull on a Sim - even a Sim that has never, ever, met your Sim before (Welcome Wagon) - they walk through the door and one of them is going to walk up 3 floors to a computer that they are magically attracted to.

So, a major problem that will continue is what objects you have in a house and what Sims you have.

EA's rigid system is not exactly the way I would do it. AI can be a lot more fluid and it isn't hard to do because you can bet your life that they tinker with values behind the scenes to put a weight on interactions and the attraction of interactions which a Simmer would probably like control of too.
    EDIT:
    I mean Maxis, not EA.

The bottom line is AI can be user dynamic. Sims probably could be more unique in their own individual attraction to something and it probably could be user defined.

Another thing too is that if you have Movie Hangout, Sims have some compulsory attachment to want to watch a movie, even if they watched it before and know they always are bored of it, they'll watch it anyway again.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2018
    I find my sims are obsessed with kids network. If I hear that song again it'll be too soon..
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »

EDIT:
    I mean Maxis, not EA.

Another thing too is that if you have Movie Hangout, Sims have some compulsory attachment to want to watch a movie, even if they watched it before and know they always are bored of it, they'll watch it anyway again.
    The AI will never go that deep. You *could* track if a Sim has watched a movie; however, what if another Sim had not? ie another Sim can trigger which movie would be watched. However, you *could* track if a Sim has watched a movie or not - in terms that it is possible.
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    My Sims interact with their pets autonomously. Most recently, my current Sim picked up 1 of her cats & carried it with her to pet her other cat. She is a writer and sometimes I have a hard time just getting her to sit down & write, even when she's inspired ... she's too busy interacting with her pets. As for a TV, I no longer have those in my households. They prove to be to much of a distraction for my Sims, who always seem to want to watch the comedy channel, which, more often than not results in the Sim getting hysterical.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I seriously have the opposite problem. They always end up running away if I don't make my Sims interact with them...
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I have no problems with them you just have to work with them if you don't then dont' play with them, they are like the toddlers need a lot of care.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    So the Delgato's cat ran away and I was like sheesh I didn't even know the cat felt neglected. They were all sad so they posted to find the cat and the cat came home. When you have a toddler and a kid in the house, it is hard to pay attention to a dog and cat too sheesh.

Honestly, I rather see the pet needs than not. I am still trying to figure out how a house cat can run away anyway.