Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Odd questions about Pets by odd me

Random weird questions about the lovely animals in the new Cats and Dogs pack. If I were to adopt all the strays I see would more spawn or are there a set amount? Can strays get sick and if so can a Sim help them without adopting them? What happens when a family goes out for more than a day or two and have a pet? Will the pet die or is there a sitter available? I haven't really checked options as I'm too busy exploring the new map first before deciding on creating or adopting a stray first. This pack is super cute and it's going to be so difficult to decide on anything haha...

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited November 2017
    Pets only die from old age, so they may be hungry or dirty, but they'll be alive. (They could get taken from you for neglect.)
    You could only adopt 7 strays max, so there are probably more strays than that and yes, others would replace them as new strays.
    I've never seen sick strays, I don't think they can be sick because they have no one to take them to the vet.

Have fun.
    I just had a pet dog run away. He was well loved and taken care of so it's probably a random thing. The whole family is really sad, but the dad posted about the dog running away on the internet, so I'm anxious to see if he shows up on his own or someone finds him. I followed him as he ran from the house but he just disappears at the edge of the neighborhood.
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Pets only die from old age, so they may be hungry or dirty, but they'll be alive. (They could get taken from you for neglect.)
    You could only adopt 7 strays max, so there are probably more strays than that and yes, others would replace them as new strays.
    I've never seen sick strays, I don't think they can be sick because they have no one to take them to the vet.

Have fun.
    I just had a pet dog run away. He was well loved and taken care of so it's probably a random thing. The whole family is really sad, but the dad posted about the dog running away on the internet, so I'm anxious to see if he shows up on his own or someone finds him. I followed him as he ran from the house but he just disappears at the edge of the neighborhood.

Aw man so I guess if any of my Sims decide to go on vacation or something they have to take the pet? Is that even an option? That's so sad the dog ran away! I hope he comes back :( That's really sad. Considering my reality where my cat got under the floor of the house (don't ask) I was so panicked and crying until I found her. I can only imagine how sad that is for our little pixel friends...and you too really :(
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Can strays get sick and if so can a Sim help them without adopting them?

It looks like strays can get sick but a sim can not help them without adopting them. At least quite a few pets walking around on their own have red noses or paws suggesting they are sick.

• Options
    Can strays get sick and if so can a Sim help them without adopting them?

It looks like strays can get sick but a sim can not help them without adopting them. At least quite a few pets walking around on their own have red noses or paws suggesting they are sick.

That's horrible :( I wonder if they can make other animals ill? Like taking your dog or cat to the park and they come across a sick animal? Ugh :(
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Had this happen a few times by now. I always click on the phone and post an announcement or whatever it's called and the pet returns after one day tops.
  • Options
    For the sick strays, if you own a vet clinic you'll often get townies bringing in them. However, afterwards if you have the dog and cat hangout traits you'll see them as strays instead of owned animals.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    Strays can get sick and you can't get them to the vet without adopting them, but I haven't tried giving them the wellness treat. Has anyone tried it? Is it even possible and will it cure the stray?
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    Strays can get sick and you can't get them to the vet without adopting them, but I haven't tried giving them the wellness treat. Has anyone tried it? Is it even possible and will it cure the stray?

I've tried that. It works just like it does if you give it to a pet you own. I always make sure my sims have some on them now, just in case.

Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    Is there a pet sitter service? I looked and really didn't see one. So what happens if my Sims want to go out bowling? Are pets able to stay home for that length of time without a problem? What about when they go to Granite Falls? They're usually there a week.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2017
    Pets are just fine when you go to another lot and they can also go with you to Granite Falls. There are no pet sitters, unfortunately.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Pets are just fine when you go to another lot and they can also go with you to Granite Falls. There are no pet sitters, unfortunately.

What if I don't want my sims' pets going to Granite Falls? If I send them for more than a day or two, will the pets still be alright when I return home?
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    @floridameerkat Yes, the pets will be fine. My sim has been living at his vets office for over a week while the dogs stay home. They'll be alright.
  • Options
    I haven't seen anyone walking dogs outside of the new map. Will townies do that or do I have to assign their homes pets in order for that to happen? Are strays also confined to the new maps or can I place them in lots? I haven't tried any of that yet so sorry for the dorky questions. I'm having way too much fun now with my new black fox (ha ha get it...my last name...umm yeah lol) and am planning on how to expand the house in order to have another dog and probably two kittens.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i haven't actually seen anyone walking (or jogging) their dogs in the other neighborhoods, now that you mention it. they will, however, bring them *everywhere*. one vampire household loves to bring both their dog and their cat to karaoke bars, museums, you name it (btw, bring a vocal/talkative pet with you to karaoke. it's worth it). nancy landgraab doesn't go anywhere without her new doberman, and my hacker girl even brought her cat 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (based on catwoman's cat from the old batman cartoon) to her club gathering (when i had someone else start the gathering). seems kind of weird, bringing the pets anywhere, but no one actually walking the dogs.

as for strays, it seems different for different people. i'm actually wondering if anyone has put some of the new lot traits on lots in other neighborhoods, since so many on the forums here complain about strays bombarding them in every neighborhood/world, while the only strays i've seen outside of brindleton bay have been ones temporarily picked up by townies to bring to my vet clinic and get cured, like someone else mentioned above.
  • Options
    Is it possible to put a dog or a cat on an unowned lot? I have a museum that would be so fun to see cats roaming around it.
  • Options
    Is it possible to put a dog or a cat on an unowned lot? I have a museum that would be so fun to see cats roaming around it.

There are lot traits that will attract stray dogs and cats to any lot they are applied to.
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    edited November 2017

There are lot traits that will attract stray dogs and cats to any lot they are applied to.

Ah yeah now that I Think about it if I create and put animals on an unowned lot that would probably be considered abandoning and that's not cool. I'll have to set up that trait then.