Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone know what would happen if...?

Does anyone know what would happen to the pets or toddlers in a household if the only teen or older sim dies? So pets (and toddlers) must have at least 1 teen or older sim in the household in order to place, as they don't have opposable thumbs to fill their own feeders, but what happens if that sim dies?

I presume you would get the "game over" screen like you would in a single sim household if the sim dies that instructs you to either select another family in world to play or to create a new sim to add to the save - but what would happen to the pets (or toddlers)?
Would they be deleted? Would they become strays? Would they become adoptable?

I would hope they would become strays - it would be devasting if the game just deleted them and didn't give you the option to add them to another household! I'm not at my computer just now to test it - so does anyone know?

If No one knows, I will test it when I'm at my computer again (for science!), but even though I don't mind killing sims (for science) because they become ghosts and aren't truly lost, creating a scenario that permanently removes sims/pets from existence through automatic game deletion would make me feel bad.

I really want to know because sometimes I leave elder sims in the world while I play with other parts of the family, sometimes those elder sims have dependants, toddler grandkids they care for, or pets. Sometimes I play those elder sims and they DIE! I have one who has already extended her life through potions many times over to care for a series of descendants who then go on to make bad choices and abandon their offspring into her care, she is currently caring for her great grandchild and a dog, and I kind of want to let her finally pass on - but not if it will delete her beloved pet! (I could take or leave the great grandkid, he's kind of a jerk. Jerk baby).

Also if this works, it could be a way to add strays of our own creation to the world.

Any ideas? Otherwise I will post back what I discover when I get the chance.

Comments

• Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I'm pretty sure it just deletes them. Pretty much the same way as when a baby/toddler/child gets taken for neglect. In previous iterations you could adopt them in other families. But not in TS4 unfortunately *sigh*

I am intrigued toknow what you find out in the name of "science* lol
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    I'm sad to say if you have a toddler or pet in the care of a single sim who dies - they are gone forever unless you exit without saving (which the game does let you do).

It says the toddler is taken by sim social services and the dog will be adopted into another home, but this seems to just be to make you feel better about them vanishing!

So if you are playing with an elder the only way to keep pets/toddlers in their care from vanishing is to either move in another sim when they are close to death, or move out the toddler/pet to their new caretakers before the elder dies!

I somewhat understood toddlers that were taken by sim social services for neglect not being adoptable (don't want to chance them ending back in the same bad home) but why are we not given some kind of option to merge/move a toddler/pet into an existing household or adopt them from the menu when their sole caretaker dies? Especially if they have other living relatives!