Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you make fashion options match?

I spend a lot of time trying to put outfits together because pieces just don't seem to match. Blues aren't the same blue, reds aren't the same reds, they are off either by a little or by a lot. Anyway, sometimes I just ignore it and have my sims wear it mismatched, or I try to use makeup and accessories to blur or distract from the difference.

How do you feel about things not matching and what are your strategies for dealing with it? I don't use any custom content yet - I probably will in the future. I am referring strictly to the fashion items in the base game.
I use no mods or CC and I repair my game after every time I play.

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I usually just switch one of the pieces to another one. Or I would try to pick complementary colors and then, try to match the shoes with one of the colors so the whole outfit flows better.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    I'm an avid CC person so I end up downloading recolours. If not, I opt for monotone colour schemes, blacks and whites will always match
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    I agree that I wish everything had a matching palette with the same colors. When it comes to clothes, I try to pull colors out in smaller things that look similar, even if they aren't. For example, if I have a red shirt and want more of that, I try to add red bracelets, or maybe a nice red lipstick. Even if they aren't the same shade, as long as they're close enough, I think it kind of tricks the eye into thinking that they coordinate. Another trick is that I make sure the hair goes well with the outfit, because I think that's something important that really pulls the whole look together as well. If I really don't like what I'm doing though, I'll end up picking something else instead.

If you do end up installing CC, I would suggest looking at content from the same creators, because I see a lot who tend to use the same color palettes for their work, that way everything matches. (At least they do for Maxis Match it seems, not too sure about Alpha CC though.) Hopefully some of this will help lol.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    You should check out this thread for inspiration.

I often match a neutral colour (brown/white/grey/black) with favourite colour (or two) and make wardrobes from that.

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    In the real world, clothing doesn't always match.

As someone who wears a lot of black, I find that black comes in many different shades.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

That's exactly, what I was going to say. I mean, while I still remember how cool it was to make my sims outfits and decorate their houses and have all the colors match, it just isn't the way real life works. And while, naturally there are a lot of things in this game that don't work like in real life, I don't really mind.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2017
    I usually pair all other colors with white or black basics, then use whatever color in varying shades as an accent. I do that IRL too. I also love to pair like an eggplant (dark purple) with jade (a green) or navy (dark blue). Those compliment in an outfit, especially if you know how to assocorize.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Maxis Match recolors, I can't stand to play without them now

Though I'm not a matchy matchy person I prefer complementary and contrast
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member

As someone who wears a lot of black, I find that black comes in many different shades.

I completely agree with the above statement.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I usually just switch one of the pieces to another one. Or I would try to pick complementary colors and then, try to match the shoes with one of the colors so the whole outfit flows better.

Yebb. I do that too. I never even try to match colors except suitpants & suitskirt outfits. The shoes either get the same color as the overall primary color in an outfit or I pick a color that compliments the outfits' colorscheme.

In RL I never wear ONE color overall when I dress myself, except, like above, if I wear suit outfits or a fancy dress. In fact, it is not rare that I show up rainbowed. Most times not even on purpose.
  • Options
    BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    You should check out this thread for inspiration.

I often match a neutral colour (brown/white/grey/black) with favourite colour (or two) and make wardrobes from that.

Black doesn't match all the time... sadly.
    I usually pair all other colors with white or black basics, then use whatever color in varying shades as an accent. I do that IRL too. I also love to pair like an eggplant (dark purple) with jade (a green) or navy (dark blue). Those compliment in an outfit, especially if you know how to assocorize.

Those three and like a cranberry color and a marigold. Jewel tones are my favorite.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I find this to be more of an issue in regards to Buy Build mode. Having a sofa and accent chair have the same design but with non matching colors. Haven't had this problem in CAS.
  • Options
    SineeaSineea Posts: 207 Member

I guess this is what I've been hoping somebody would mention. Sometimes I feel like I swear they were made to not match. At other times I tell myself the color may be off by a bit exactly because it's off by a bit in real life when you put something together yourself. It still bugs me tho so I end up not trying to match colors but hues more than anything and select tops and bottoms of different colors. I so wish that Sims 4 had the color wheel of 3. I do spend more time actually playing in 4 tho. I read that some people found the wheel overwhelming and I can see how that can be so. I would almost recommend they sell it/offer it separately like for people who want to spend the time being that meticulous.

I use no mods or CC and I repair my game after every time I play.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I find this to be more of an issue in regards to Buy Build mode. Having a sofa and accent chair have the same design but with non matching colors. Haven't had this problem in CAS.

This. I used to be an enthusiastic builder, but the never-ending quest for matching doors and windows, furniture and floor/wall textures has made it a real chore. (Not saying that furniture in previous games always matched, but in TS2 you could at least colour various parts of the object separately.) For me, it's usually a choice between matching colours and matching styles, because having both seems to be impossible at times.

I, too, don't experience this problem in CAS very often, but when I do, it's seriously annoying. You have those two pieces of clothing that look like they're meant to be worn together, but only one of them is available in acutal red whereas the other one's interpretation of "red" is slightly pink - terrible! If it was at least an entirely different colour, but no, it's those subtle shades that ruin the outfit. Sometimes I really wonder how much time the developers usually spend testing to make sure that absolutely nothing goes together.

There are two solutions to this problem: Recolouring, or picking an entirely different colour for one of the pieces. Because red and blue don't look as terrible together as red and pink-red.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Here are some of my ts4 combos.
    Sometimes I feel like not many people use the in game outfits for modelling comps, nor cross dress their sims as much as I do.
    tumblr_oqrmf6jXqs1v2n804o2_540.jpg
    tumblr_oqrmf6jXqs1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_orkrmu5kvq1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_orkvugRrNk1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_orqnypwxlA1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_orsqm4XU6x1v2n804o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_orsqm4XU6x1v2n804o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_os6ram0TZF1v2n804o1_540.png
    tumblr_osv414ZuPP1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_oswhnmf1gg1v2n804o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_ovll69p9t91v2n804o1_540.png
    tumblr_opxwm1w0e81v2n804o2_540.jpg