May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New graphics card help

lilacksblilacksb Posts: 440 Member
edited July 2017 in Off Topic Chat
My graphics card a Radon R9 270x has just died. Would I be ok replacing like for like (even thought it's a discontinued card ) or is there a better equivalent out there?

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @chesterbigbird video card replacement help Thanks
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2017
    Can you tell me what power supply you have and what case you have. I would need to know that before suggesting anything. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    OK that basically tells me nothing LOL.
    It does not list the power supply or your case, However since you had a R9 270x in there i can assume you have a proper 500 Watt or more power supply (as that is the minimum as stated by AMD)
    As for space, i should also assume you have room for a small or standard size Card.
    Now your cpu is not all that great so i certainly wouldn't be putting a very powerful card in there as your cpu would just hold it back.. it will bottleneck, Example of bottlenecking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9XuCz1FQEU

I would probably go for a Nvidia GTX 1050ti
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti/B01M5DU49X/ref=sr_1_20?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499412522&sr=1-20&keywords=GTX+1050+ti
    It requires a minimum of 300 watts from your power supply, And you should have that considering you were able to power the 270X. it should also fit because it's a smaller card.
    And the 1050ti will perform better then your old 270x
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-radeon-r9-270x
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Thanks @chesterbigbird sorry don't have much pc info because the pc and all info is with someone who was trying to find out what was wrong? I have lots of spare slots internally for upgrades etc. Motherboard can take an i5 so was looking at upgrading that also..
  • Options
    lilacksb wrote: »
    Thanks @chesterbigbird sorry don't have much pc info because the pc and all info is with someone who was trying to find out what was wrong? I have lots of spare slots internally for upgrades etc. Motherboard can take an i5 so was looking at upgrading that also..

Be careful when upgrading the cpu.. it cannot take any i5. It would need to be socket 1150 haswell cpu (intel 4th gen) they are a few generations old now.. still good though (but maybe hard to find)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Be careful when upgrading the cpu.. it cannot take any i5. It would need to be socket 1150 haswell cpu (intel 4th gen) they are a few generations old now.. still good though (but maybe hard to find)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I54430-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8T9VC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499431266&sr=8-5&keywords=socket+1150+haswell+cpu+intel+4th+gen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I74770-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499431266&sr=8-2&keywords=socket+1150+haswell+cpu+intel+4th+gen
  • Options

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I54430-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8T9VC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499431266&sr=8-5&keywords=socket+1150+haswell+cpu+intel+4th+gen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I74770-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499431266&sr=8-2&keywords=socket+1150+haswell+cpu+intel+4th+gen

You can buy them online But local pc stores ( pc repair places) may not have them. You will find retail tech stores will probably not sell them either. It's sucks that they cost as much as new gen.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

You can buy them online But local pc stores ( pc repair places) may not have them. You will find retail tech stores will probably not sell them either. It's plum that they cost as much as new gen.

I forgot who I was speaking to a while back but I believe PCworldUK may do upgrades. OP would have to ask. I don't see the 4th gen cpu on their website. OP may have to buy it and bring the computer to PC world to change out the CPU and GPU.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks both of you @chesterbigbird & @phoebebeebee. Have one of the tech guys at work doing it. Seems like I'm going to have to upgrade a bit? Power supply being one, currently 450. So looking to upgrade graphics, processor and power supply, possibly add more memory & ssd? Argh the money. It's such a minefield when your not very tech savvy..
  • Options
    @lilacksb Your very welcome. You have 8gb ram which is enough. You could upgrade that later on should you need 16 gb ram in the future. Adding an ssd , you would have to move your current hard drive , put the ssd on C drive, reinstall windows etc. Windows will boot quicker with ssd. If your not gaming on the ssd you could go with 128 or 250 gb ssd to boot windows and other programs quicker. The sims 4 does not benefit from SSD. The sims 3 does. If your playing the sims 3 it would be worth it to get a larger 500 gb ssd for C drive.
  • Options
    I no longer play Sims 3 (crashes). My son plays games on my pc (he's 9) he plays Subnautica and others like that and the system did strugle a bit but maybe that was just the start of seeing the graphics failing? I also play Planet Coaster (seems quite graphics intense) and a few others. Windows has always loaded fast on my current set up so maybe no need for ssd?
  • Options
    @lilacksb Were you limiting your fps on the sims 3? Overall your current setup should be able to run the sims 3. If you don't limit your fps , that could cause crashing. Your game fps should sync with your motor refresh rate. The sims 3 has no fps limiter and can seriously overwork and heat up a video card.

Planet coaster has some pretty high specs and you don't want to run that on minimum requirements.

This is for planet Coaster

Recommended:
    Processor: Intel i7-4770/AMD FX-8350
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GTX 980 (4GB)/AMD R9 380 (4GB)
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 8 GB available space

• Options
    @phoebebebe13 Planet coaster ran fine on my system but was probably pushing it but did run fine. Not sure about fps, don't know much about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @lilacksb I would go in the off topic section here or post on steam and ask people playing the game. I had heard once your park gets bigger, it hard to manage with lower computer specs. It could also be to poor optimization of the game . @chesterbigbird may even know.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @phoebebebe13 hi I am getting an asus Nvidia expedition Geforce gtx 1050ti 4gb oc. Sound ok to you?, and a new fan. At a later date savind for a new motherboard and i5 7thgen processor. thanks
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @lilacksb Were you limiting your fps on the sims 3? Overall your current setup should be able to run the sims 3. If you don't limit your fps , that could cause crashing. Your game fps should sync with your motor refresh rate. The sims 3 has no fps limiter and can seriously overwork and heat up a video card.

Planet coaster has some pretty high specs and you don't want to run that on minimum requirements.

This is for planet Coaster

Recommended:
    Processor: Intel i7-4770/AMD FX-8350
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GTX 980 (4GB)/AMD R9 380 (4GB)
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 8 GB available space

True story for Planet Coaster, that game is horribly CPU-intensive as well. I can play it, but it's the only game I have that my aged CPU has a hard time handling, and it's still pretty good.

Good chocie on the 1050ti :) I myself use a 1060 and I love it.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 hi I am getting an asus Nvidia expedition Geforce gtx 1050ti 4gb oc. Sound ok to you?, and a new fan. At a later date savind for a new motherboard and i5 7thgen processor. thanks

the 1050 ti is perfect for the sims. Not sure about planet coaster. That game is very demanding.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

the 1050 ti is perfect for the sims. Not sure about planet coaster. That game is very demanding.

Should be fine for PC too, it's a pretty decent graphics card. If the CPU performance is good enough to manage it, I don't see any problems. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017

My radeon R9 270x ran planet coaster fine, rightly or wrongly so I'm assuming the new 1050ti being better will do ok for planet coaster, maybe not the best but ok..
    Post edited by lilacksb on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @phoebebebe13 hi me again. Wondered if you could shead any light? The new graphics card and fan has been put in but pc will now not turn on? It was definitely the graphics originally at fault as it worked when switched to onboard graphics.. thanks

Edit: took the new fan out and put old one back in and now works?, Very odd
    Post edited by lilacksb on