Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking for ideas on starting up a new game save

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
I was wondering when you start up a new game save, how do you start up one? What I mean by that is do you decide to play rotational, and pay along with the current story line of the town, or do you create your family and not really deal with the rest of the town, or do you do something completely different? I started up a fresh new game save involving Riverside, and I'm really not quite sure which direction I want to go about this.

Comments

• Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    I don't think I've ever followed the town's storyline when playing a family, even if I chose one of the already existing families. I just either pick a family and start playing, or create my own and start playing, and then I build up the "downtown" area for shopping, such as groceries, clothes, bookstore (not that I can really have a workable bookstore because I don't have that business pack thing, but I just mix bookcases with the sellable magazines and arcade games and call it a bookstore), and this time around I built a gym/fitness center, and a community pool/Country Club kind of thing, and I tried building a concert hall but my Sim got stuck there when I tried to have her join in on stage. I'm not sure what went wrong there, and a library with computer stations. I even tried building a restaurant but it didn't work because I couldn't get the University stove to work on the community lot. My next workaround for that will just be to put bbq stations inside the "restaurant." I also built a kind of water slide park by using that build cheat to make the pools look like natural water slides, and the town seems to like it as it's always busy. And I built a kind of arcade with a fake sellers' stand when you enter the place. It's got all kinds of games downstairs, and a T.V. room and pool room upstairs.

I can't advise you about this Riverside place though, because I don't know anything about it.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I create my own couple to play with. I really don't bother with the rest of the town unless I age up some of their friends on my sims birthdays, or I make some sims just to drop in town so the population doesn't die with me aging sims. I usually start them in Uni so they can get a good head start, and they can start their family right away, I like big family's so the sooner start the better. I tried playing rotation once, but it just really was not my thing. I like to focus on my sims alone.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I like to play rotationally and interweave all the sims lives throughout the hood. Plus, I like to see it developing with new marriages, jobs and babies. I play each household for one season and then move on to the next.

I am currently rotating around Pleasantview and have also added the Burbs in, plus one of my own couples. I will probably add more sims too as I go along, for more variety.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Unfortunately, I do different things taken weeks to start a game.

For a start, I look into the community lots of the base neighborhood, college and parts of downtown to do modifications where needed. I also made a large community lot with rinks for both ice skating and rollerskating as well as a restaurant and a swimming pool, among other things. If University is present, a blue gadget kiosk might be needed on community lots in the base neighborhood, and with Bon Voyage some local food stalls might be added for hungry customers.

Sims from the family bin and the student bin are moved into the neighborhood (students into college, of course).
    Then I start with the story lines for a while, and move more sims to college to make that area more crowded. Dorms are refurnished and often modified before sims are moved into them, and dorms with six or eight rooms are filled with playable sims.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I just started a Build a City Challenge, using a ruleset that's modified to make things achievable in one generation. The premise is that you take a bunch of new sims, a blank neighborhood... and let them build a city. There are various things you have to achieve to unlock specific careers and to build community lots and such. It's been ridiculously fun so far, and I already have three community lots, three married couples, four babies, and at the end of this round I'm going to have a cook-off.

I've unlocked the following careers:
    Politics
    Architecture
    Medicine
    Law Enforcement
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I'm boring, I always start with challenges... :blush:

And combining them makes it even more fun. And then I get overwhelmed and start a new one. :mrgreen:

How is that boring? It gives you specific focus. I've never done a challenge, so the idea of it is exciting!
  • Options
    MeggyPlumbobMeggyPlumbob Posts: 46 Member
    Doing challenges is so fun! At the minute I'm doing the Rags to Riches challenge!