Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How I think our Sims' smartphones should look (hint: they should look like smartphones!)

kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
edited May 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
3wIb5UidNfGRYZI9ksXpBVy5yInbOK1DYx5-DJWertM.png?w=481&s=567579aa0716c2f60df1b62a7ffbe4f8

(Posted this on Reddit, but I thought it could do with some attention here, too.)

Why don't our Sims' phones look like phones? Instead, we've got this weird, cluttered mess of text lists. It's not intuitive, and frankly is kind of ugly.

Which is why I propose that our Sims' smartphones should... (drumroll please) look like smartphones!

The mockup I posted above might need a little explanation, but I hope it's more or less self-explanatory.

Down the bottom, we have 4 icons. Text messages (with a red notification for unread texts), the "travel" option, the "call Sim" option, and the "camera" option. For texts, this would pop up an interaction menu with "text Sim", "send flirty text" and "read texts". "Read texts" would be things like invitations, so that our Sims don't have to drop everything they're doing to go to Bear Night at the Bar!

Likewise, "camera" would have "take photo", "take photo with..." and "take selfie". "Call Sim" is self explanatory.

Now, on to the icons!
  • The Easter eggs are Jasmin Holiday's challenges. Depending on the challenge, the icon changes. If there's no challenge, it disappears.
  • The party icon is of course, "Plan Social Event".
  • The Sims hanging out at a house is "Hang Out on Current Lot".
  • The rose is "Ask on Date".
  • The bills are "Pay Bills". If you have no bills to pay, it's not there.
  • The house is "Move Household".
  • The island is "Take Vacation".
  • "Play Game"
  • "Hire Service," which brings up the usual services menu.
  • The oven and simoleon is "Buy a Restaurant".
  • "Buy a Retail Business".
  • "Find a job".
  • "Browse Web".

The remaining icons are theoretical phone interactions I'd like to see one day. "Read Online Newspaper," "Read Today's Horoscope" and "Enrol in College". The "read" options are just fun little text popups with amusing headlines, celebrity repuatation-based notifications, or in the case of horoscopes, vague hints ("Maybe you should order takeout" could hint at the possibility of a fire, for example)

The green arrow on the side represents the option to swipe to the next page, where you'd find more icons, as needed. The whole idea is that the menu is dynamic and adjusts depending on how many icons are available at any given time.

Just like a real phone!
wJbomAo.png

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I like it :)

I think it would be fun and looks less like a menu.
  • Options
    Another thing I thought of that would be pretty useful here, is if when you hover your cursor over the icons, they come up with the text for each interaction.
    Neia wrote: »
    I like it :)

I think it would be fun and looks less like a menu.

Yes! Looking less like a menu is exactly what I was going for. I mean, real phones don't look like text lists, why should a fake phone?
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    honestly i'd rather the text menus from a gameplay perspective
    I get that it's not realistic, but i'm curious as to why you say they're "not intuitive?" doesn't get much more intuitive than reading your options directly imo
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    honestly i'd rather the text menus from a gameplay perspective
    I get that it's not realistic, but i'm curious as to why you say they're "not intuitive?" doesn't get much more intuitive than reading your options directly imo

Because it's not. you have to click on all the different categories to find the option you want. Why is "Hire a Service," "Buy a Restaurant," or any of the "house" options under the "house" menu? Why is "Play a Game" under the stereo? It doesn't take long, but you still have to go digging.

If it was laid out like a real smartphone, then everything would be available all at once. You wouldn't have to go hunting for the "Find a Job" option, because it's right there the second you open the menu.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Yes!! It's 2017, we live in the age of smart phones that are big, giant screens with apps, not lists of text!
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,113 Member
    I like it as it is.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Sometimes it's more important that the game is usable for all rather than more realistic. The phones in the game have always been text options, not to replicate real life but so people could read and pick the option they want. I do think it's a cool idea but I think there are too many people that don't use smartphones and too many people that would get frustrated at having to keep hovering over all the different icons to find the one they want. I could understand wanting to get rid of the 4 categories at the bottom and just have a list to scroll through as I can never remember which category something is under, but I don't see how changing text to an icon that you will most likely end up hovering over to get the text anyway, would make things easier to use. I do really like the idea of being able to select to read texts though so we can accept an invite without having to just drop everything and go.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Deleted. Not sure what happened here...
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's more important that the game is usable for all rather than more realistic. The phones in the game have always been text options, not to replicate real life but so people could read and pick the option they want. I do think it's a cool idea but I think there are too many people that don't use smartphones and too many people that would get frustrated at having to keep hovering over all the different icons to find the one they want. I could understand wanting to get rid of the 4 categories at the bottom and just have a list to scroll through as I can never remember which category something is under, but I don't see how changing text to an icon that you will most likely end up hovering over to get the text anyway, would make things easier to use. I do really like the idea of being able to select to read texts though so we can accept an invite without having to just drop everything and go.

It's 2017, I think "some people don't use this ubiquitous technology that makes everybody's lives 1000x easier" isn't really a valid excuse any more.

If anything, this would make the menu more usable, since, everything is on the one page, and the icons would be identifiable enough that they would communicate effectively what it is they do.

The idea of the icons isn't to use those exact icons, but for Maxis to create icons (or repurpose existing ones - if they fit) that actually communicate what it is that the Sim will be doing if they select that option.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SeliosSelios Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't think it's necessarily to do with certain people not being familiar with the technology... I've been using smart phones for near a decade now and I still struggle to find apps on my phone even though I use them daily LOL. I know this is anecdotal and likely just my own slowness, but I'm sure at least a few others share that experience.

A list to me is easy to see what options there are without having to do any kind of memorization or hover to figure out what icon does what. And I don't find the categories counter intuitive whatsoever. It's not realistic, sure.. but no one ever said everything in the game needed to be realistic. Especially not at the cost of ease.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HOW are smartphones hard to use?

How is a visual representation of our options, all on the one screen, instead of text spread out over multiple screens in obtuse categories that have little if anything to do with the option in question (and in some cases options within options within options), "at the cost of ease"?

Am I in Purgatory? Is that what's happened? Eternal tech support for 10-year old technology, specifically designed to be easy to use, for people who use it daily.

I'm dead, and Purgatory is a tech support call center where every caller is my mother.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SeliosSelios Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2017
    sigh :)
    it's just an opinion, i'm sure you have good reason to feel the text lists are difficult to use.
    I just don't have the same experience. from the looks at the replies several others don't either.
    maybe they could implement this idea as an option, so players can choose between having the text and having icons :)

and I never said smartphones were hard to use.. All I was really saying is that I know for sure there have been times where I open up my apps list and stare blanky at the exact app I wanted to open without realizing it till I spend 10 seconds after searching for it mindlessly xD
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't have a smart-phone.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member

Loanet wrote: »
    I don't have a smart-phone.
    I don't even own a cellphone, Ipod, etc much less a smart phone-it would be too compliated for me to have it the way the OP wants it.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    3wIb5UidNfGRYZI9ksXpBVy5yInbOK1DYx5-DJWertM.png?w=481&s=567579aa0716c2f60df1b62a7ffbe4f8

(Posted this on Reddit, but I thought it could do with some attention here, too.)

Why don't our Sims' phones look like phones? Instead, we've got this weird, cluttered mess of text lists. It's not intuitive, and frankly is kind of ugly.

Which is why I propose that our Sims' smartphones should... (drumroll please) look like smartphones!

The mockup I posted above might need a little explanation, but I hope it's more or less self-explanatory.

Down the bottom, we have 4 icons. Text messages (with a red notification for unread texts), the "travel" option, the "call Sim" option, and the "camera" option. For texts, this would pop up an interaction menu with "text Sim", "send flirty text" and "read texts". "Read texts" would be things like invitations, so that our Sims don't have to drop everything they're doing to go to Bear Night at the Bar!

Likewise, "camera" would have "take photo", "take photo with..." and "take selfie". "Call Sim" is self explanatory.

Now, on to the icons!
    • The Easter eggs are Jasmin Holiday's challenges. Depending on the challenge, the icon changes. If there's no challenge, it disappears.
    • The party icon is of course, "Plan Social Event".
    • The Sims hanging out at a house is "Hang Out on Current Lot".
    • The rose is "Ask on Date".
    • The bills are "Pay Bills". If you have no bills to pay, it's not there.
    • The house is "Move Household".
    • The island is "Take Vacation".
    • "Play Game"
    • "Hire Service," which brings up the usual services menu.
    • The oven and simoleon is "Buy a Restaurant".
    • "Buy a Retail Business".
    • "Find a job".
    • "Browse Web".

The remaining icons are theoretical phone interactions I'd like to see one day. "Read Online Newspaper," "Read Today's Horoscope" and "Enrol in College". The "read" options are just fun little text popups with amusing headlines, celebrity repuatation-based notifications, or in the case of horoscopes, vague hints ("Maybe you should order takeout" could hint at the possibility of a fire, for example)

The green arrow on the side represents the option to swipe to the next page, where you'd find more icons, as needed. The whole idea is that the menu is dynamic and adjusts depending on how many icons are available at any given time.

Just like a real phone!

I like this idea
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    I have a smartphone and have owned several since 2010 but none of them ever had a UI exactly like that. Even the smartphone I own now doesn't just have icons; every icon has a label under it. To implement a feature like this is not very intuitive and it's super likely that I, and people like me, would forget what each icon did without labels underneath them. Once you add labels, however, you end up with a tiny, cramped interface.