Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Download Manager

Hi, I posted a couple of days ago about not being able to re d/l Riverview. I think I found out why, but have no idea why this has happened. For some reason, the EA Download Manager never got installed w/my game when I reinstalled it; it's just plain not there. It's not in start/program files/electronic arts/sims 3 and it's not on my task bar when I'm running the game! Is there a limit to how many times we can uninstall and reinstall the game? Is there some special thing I need to do to get the Manager back again?

Comments

• Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi,

Are you using the disc version of the game or the digital download? Also, is EADM listed in Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    SonshineSonshine Posts: 53 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I looked for it and it does appear in the add/remove listings and I also did a search for it on my comp, but all I can find is a couple of shortcuts for it which turn up nothing when I click on them. It also said that it was in my Docs and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs, but when I clicked on the Sims 3 folder there, the EADM does not appear there at all. Shouldn't the EADM install w/the game?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So much for that theory! I did manage to restore the EADM or so I thought. At least it appears on my task bar now, but it (Riverview) *still* won't d/l properly and I *still* can't install it!! Somebody please help!
  • Options
    SmoochSmooch Posts: 387 Member
    edited November 2009
    You can download the EA Download Manager directly from the EA site: http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.welcome Just log in with the email you used to sign up for the Sims 3 site and you should find your downloads there and ready to redownload.

EDIT: Be sure to uninstall all previous versions of the Downloader before you install the new one. You could be having conflicts between files. Think of this as a clean slate. Update this thread if it doesn't work and I'll help you troubleshoot more.
    CxevBFV.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I got it again!! Thanks soooo much Smooch! Removing the old EADM and re d/ling and installing the new one worked! I was able to get the game patch AND Riverview! Whew! I wish though that EA would make this a sp3 file so we can save it. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the EADM getting corrupted. Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonshine wrote:
    I got it again!! Thanks soooo much Smooch! Removing the old EADM and re d/ling and installing the new one worked! I was able to get the game patch AND Riverview! Whew! I wish though that EA would make this a sp3 file so we can save it. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the EADM getting corrupted. Thanks again!

You are most welcome, Sonshine. I am glad things worked out and you can play. Have fun simming! :)
    CxevBFV.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There's still one other problem; I can't even get the game to load now! I get the error msg saying: "Unable to start game. Service instialization failed (0x6224dd27)." I think I will have to uninstall and reinstall once more, but at least this time I have a link to a good copy of the EADM and will be able to get Riverview. :) I might have to call EA to see if I can get the patches up to, but not including the latest one which I really don't need anyway since I don't have the exp pack yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I seem to be unable to contact EA. The phone # they gave in the back of the booklet included in the game didn't give any help. The recording just said to go to online help. The URL they gave (help.ea.com/check) is faulty at best. It is non existent. The URL that is given in the booklet has absolutely *nothing* to w/the sims and problems w/the game. So, does anybody have a valid phone # or valid website that I can go to in order to get help? I need to get all patches up to, but not including the latest one. Thanks!
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited November 2009
    Hi there.

Can you post your DXDiag output for review, please? Also, are you running as Administrator?

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php...user/std_adp.php?p_faqid=21325

For future reference, the Help site is accessible by clicking on Help at the top of the forum; you can also file a Support ticket through that channel by clicking on E-Mail Us.

Thanks,

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    HaliLeeHaliLee Posts: 25 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I too am getting "unable to start game. Service initialization failed ( 0x6224dd27)" ever since the first patch prior to the expansion pack. The game was working fine the day before that, and now I can't download anything ( including stuff from the ea store), and can't start the game. Not sure what to do about it outside of uninstalling and reinstalling, but then I'll lose everything I've built and done which is very upsetting.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonshine and HaliLee

I received that same error after downloading the 1.6 patch. People were trying to tell me it had to do with my copy not being a legit copy of Sims 3. However that was not the case. I indeed ended up having to reinstall (because of the patch and problems with my EADM) but before you do that try a few things:

1. If you have CC, remove all of it from your Mods/Packages folder and try starting the game again. If it starts, that means there is a conflict with the CC and the new patch. This has been happening with many of us and it pertains to all CC, not just hacks.

2. If that does not work, back up the files you want to keep. I chose to backup my SavedSims and Downloads folders.
    Here is a good guide on how and what to backup for Sims 3: http://www.modthesims3.org/mts3/index.php/topic,738.0.html

After reinstalling I was prompted to patch but the only patch I was offered was the 1.6 version. However, I had no more problems with errors and my CC worked just fine. Keep in mind a new patch has been released recently to fix some things with the old 1.6

Unlike with Sims 2, reinstalling is quite painless with Sims 3. Everything you downloaded from the Store is available so you don't risk losing it. Apparently CC is different for Sims 3 as well. In Sims 2 we would just remove mods after a patch and wait for them to be updated but in TS3 it seems all CC can be affected by a patch/update.

Anyways, that is my long explanation lol I hope it works out for you. Plus you have a Sim Guru in this thread willing to help. Hopefully you are back to simming quickly :)
    CxevBFV.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This is for SimGuru BGY's sake:

Time of this report: 11/13/2009, 18:40:08
    Machine name: HOME-C3B6C8EF24
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
    (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: INTEL_
    System Model: D945GTP_
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 551MB used, 7601MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8600 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0400&SUBSYS_C7733842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB

I called the phone support and they gave me instructions in my email. They gave me steps to manually uninstall and to manually reinstall the game. Is it necessary to reinstall manually? Also, is it really necessary to have the final patch? It seems as though this patch is causing a LOT of grief for a lot of people. Maybe I can play patch free until EA fixes the code in the patch? I do not have the exp pack right now.
  • Options
    Smiling4MeSmiling4Me Posts: 149 New Member
    edited November 2009
    i couldnt re-download my things from the store either after game re-installation....

could this be because i need to unsinstall download manager and install again thats why its not letting me download anything?

(does EADM come with the sims 3 disc? or do i need to dl seperately, i forgot how i got it in the first place) ty
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BUMP
  • Options
    autumn_the_vampireautumn_the_vampire Posts: 35 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I too, am having very simmilar problems with my downloads manager. I haven't been able to find any soloutions to my problem, through the forum or anywhere else online, and I've been looking for days. I wrote EA a detailed email. (not sure if it will help or not) I'm hoping they write back something helpful!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonshine,

The patch is not necessary to play the game; however without it, you will not be able to access the Exchange until you are patched to the full version.

Smiling4Me,

Are you seeing any errors when you attempt to re-download your content?

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    DaveekDaveek Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Can i add my name to the list of redownloading problem cases. i had to reinstall everything on my pc.. reinstalled sims 3. game worked... downloading riverview.. or newly purchased items fro mthe store..dont work. i get 1kb files.. a red circle with line through..and message that an error occured in download. no matter what i try to download. tried uninstalling and redownloading EADM..and still no luck. any more suggestions guys ?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Daveek,

I'd like you to run through some basic EADM troubleshooting, to eliminate any common issues:

http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=11084

Thanks,

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    DaveekDaveek Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2009
    tried all the things you mentioned. none worked, so did a full reinstall of everything. windows sims 3 the lot. still cannot download anything official from the store. :(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonshine,

The patch is not necessary to play the game; however without it, you will not be able to access the Exchange until you are patched to the full version.

Smiling4Me,

Are you seeing any errors when you attempt to re-download your content?

-Big Guy-

GuruBigGuy,

Nope, no error messages at all, after i click download it appears in the EADM for a second and then immediately there is just a red circle with a line through it.

No error messages whatsoever.

It just has that red circle with line through i tunder status and i cant do anything with it, only to delete it.

I havent tried re-installing EADM yet, but see how it didnt work for Daveek, i may be in a similar situation as well. I too, re-installed the sims 3 and purposely didnt update to the newest version and triedto download items, it wouldnt let me though