Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do u all do with your stories?

I was wondering what do u all do with your stories that you create. Do u record everything, then edit it down and make a video to post to YouTube? Do u write it down?
I have started keeping a super simplified synopsis of my current storyline, so I don't forget any major happenings, but I don't know where to go from here. I put a lot of hours into the Sims, as I'm sure most of us do, and I hate for all those hours to just be for nothing. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    There is like a million Simmers that do story stuff - you can find them here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/stories-and-legacies

Some of them have never been outside of that sub-forum - they live in there.

I don't go there.
  • Options
    Tyler_RTyler_R Posts: 33 Member
    I write all of my stories down in a binder :)
    (I never wanted to say this | You never wanted to stay | I put my faith in you, so much faith | And then you just threw it away)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have a tumblr account and a thread in the story section, but these are specifically for the purpose of telling the stories on there to others. Tumblr, Lifejournal and Wordpress are good places to start if you want to be seen.

The everyday fallout of story material I keep to myself. For this personal stuff I use Word for a very basic chronicle ("xy moved in", "San Myshuno fashion branded taxed", xy moved to Oasis Springs", "x and y had baby z"). Every so often I collect screenshots and chronicle and update my offline website using a website generator to make that thing, but never publishing it online. Or write a short story around some specific scene that has occured. It's all a very disorderly mix of files and handwritten stuff on paper.

I wouldn't consider my private story collection "for nothing". I browse these memories just like I do favourite books or vacation pictures. They bring back good times - way more convenient and satisfying than publishing stories where there's always the thought "was it good enough today?". I mean, just look at how ploppo2 worded his reply in post 2 - the fact alone that one writes sims stories seems to give one the reputation of being a crappy writer, perhaps even loser, that isn't worth his precious lifetime. Any fanfiction writer's fate, I guess ;)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2017
    There is a great area of this forum for stories and such. I believe its open to anyone who wants to tell a story. I've never posted there but I think it works like that. I'm really not being sarcastic. I know there are some communities that are hard to get into but I think this one is ok for anyone to post in. There are some fantastic stories there and I'd bet that many folks would want to read yours and see your pictures :D I go there a lot to read other people's stories. I'd love to post mine but I have a bit of a problem with sticking with a story line long enough to make it entertaining to others so I just read without posting.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Like they've said above, if you want to share -go introduce yourself (and your Sims) in the Story section of the forum. I was an active part of that myself a while back; they're super friendly.
    If you prefer to have for only your own reference -take up some of the other great ideas above.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I like to keep mine going on tumblr but ive been thinking about moving over to word press recently. I mainly do it for my own benifit but if other people enjoy it thats great as well!
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    I have a tumblr and a blog, but I don't update either one very often. I take ton of pictures when I'm in the game, but they usually end up just staying in my screenshot folder.

I also have a little notebook by my computer that I make notes in. I tend to rotate through the games - I'll exclusively play Sims 2 for awhile, then drop it for a few months and switch to Sims 3, then Sims 4 - so I keep track of what I'm doing and what's going on in each game so I'll remember. I write down future plans for my Sims and make notes of things that I need to do so I can come back to an old save and remember what was going on.
  • Options
    BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    I recently started a tumblr blog whereI post my stories or pictures. I don't really tell stories, I properly post more for my own amusement. I like being able to look back at them :) So it's probably more of a photoalbum with a little text.
    My chaotic simblr
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    My Sim stuff is for me and so some of the Sim family's I have I pick up a pen and pad of paper and write stuff down and others I just keep in my head.
  • Options
    FiestyKatnissFiestyKatniss Posts: 84 Member
    With me I was about to make a group for my stories on Facebook, with pictures and vids when I can.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I have a tumblr (link in my sig). I like to keep track of my stories that way. I enjoy reading other simmers' stories in the forum section too, but I prefer to keep my stories on tumblr because it feels more "private" somehow lol
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    cyncla wrote: »
    My Sim stuff is for me and so some of the Sim family's I have I pick up a pen and pad of paper and write stuff down and others I just keep in my head.

This is me. All in my mind, some things I jot down. Then there are the screen shots I like to look at from time to time (used as screensavers too). I have backed up all my screen shots since launch.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Thanks for all the great replies. I would like to keep it all together in one place. So far I have just kept a word doc with just a description of the character and what is happening like Mariah married Jonah and they had twins Wyatt and can't remember his name lol. The major storyline though I've just kept in my head. Id like to put the screenshots together with the story line so I can look back on it and "see" how it all went down. I hope I make sense. I'm not the social media type . This forum is as far as I get in that regard, so no Facebook. I will check out Tumblr and WordPress and see how they work. It doesn't really matter if people look at my stuff or not. If they do that's fine, but I'm not out to gain a major following. I mainly want it just for myself. Is there some sort of program I could use for this, so I don't have to be online? Thanks again to all who answered my post. I really appreciate your suggestions. Whew that was long ;)
  • Options
    FiestyKatnissFiestyKatniss Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks for all the great replies. I would like to keep it all together in one place. So far I have just kept a word doc with just a description of the character and what is happening like Mariah married Jonah and they had twins Wyatt and can't remember his name lol. The major storyline though I've just kept in my head. Id like to put the screenshots together with the story line so I can look back on it and "see" how it all went down. I hope I make sense. I'm not the social media type . This forum is as far as I get in that regard, so no Facebook. I will check out Tumblr and WordPress and see how they work. It doesn't really matter if people look at my stuff or not. If they do that's fine, but I'm not out to gain a major following. I mainly want it just for myself. Is there some sort of program I could use for this, so I don't have to be online? Thanks again to all who answered my post. I really appreciate your suggestions. Whew that was long ;)

Well I actually tried to start one here, I understand about facebook, but never bothered with tumblr. As for started one here on the stories section, I think I'm starting over with it.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    For the most part, I just post them in the Happy Play Thread.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I keep mine on Wordpress.
    I tend to take a lot of screenshots, so my screenshots folders are very large and messy. I think it's nice to have everything in one place that you can easily find things in, just if I ever need to reference any screenshot for any reason. I have a few favorites I like to keep around.
    I like to peek in the story and legacy part of the forum to read what people write every other day.

You can have a private blog so only you can see it (or have password protected pages). Most blogging sites have that as an option. As for programs... I heard One Note was really nice for jotting everything down and organizing ideas and such. I haven't gotten to use it since I prefer pen and paper for that sort of thing. :)
  • Options
    Cement wrote: »
    I keep mine on Wordpress.
    I tend to take a lot of screenshots, so my screenshots folders are very large and messy. I think it's nice to have everything in one place that you can easily find things in, just if I ever need to reference any screenshot for any reason. I have a few favorites I like to keep around.
    I like to peek in the story and legacy part of the forum to read what people write every other day.

You can have a private blog so only you can see it (or have password protected pages). Most blogging sites have that as an option. As for programs... I heard One Note was really nice for jotting everything down and organizing ideas and such. I haven't gotten to use it since I prefer pen and paper for that sort of thing. :)

Hmm.... I have one note on my newer (well about a yr old) laptop which is what I play on, and I've never even opened it up. I'll check it out thanks!
  • Options
    pamy1124pamy1124 Posts: 525 Member
    I was wondering what do u all do with your stories that you create. Do u record everything, then edit it down and make a video to post to YouTube? Do u write it down?
    I have started keeping a super simplified synopsis of my current storyline, so I don't forget any major happenings, but I don't know where to go from here. I put a lot of hours into the Sims, as I'm sure most of us do, and I hate for all those hours to just be for nothing. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I take screen shots and wrote little short stories with the pics inserted... but I don't really share it online. I just have a folder with all my stories in it.
    tumblr_mepseko5hO1r4j4oj.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I post screenshots with a snippet of what's happening in a story now and then the Favorite Screenshots thread here, or on Twitter, or (much more rarely) on Tumblr, but my stories generally are just in my head and stay there.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    pamy1124 wrote: »

I take screen shots and wrote little short stories with the pics inserted... but I don't really share it online. I just have a folder with all my stories in it.

That's a good idea too, and more geared toward what I want to do. Do you write the story out and then add the pics in like a word document or something of that sort? I already have some written down in word. I could just go back and put the pics in the appropriate places. It's so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it. #TotalDuhMoment