The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

bookcase/book glitch?

Hi all,
This hasn't happened with every household, but it has happened more than once, and I'm wondering if any of you have seen it. Sometimes, both the household and the maid have a really difficult, that is impossible, time putting books away. They'll stand there, book in hand, doing the little "stuff in my way" hissy fit, when the bookcase is completely accessible. My only recourse so far is to sell the books while they're on the floor. Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Options
    kusattakokoroxkusattakokorox Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2009
    Dude, I had a similar problem. But then I realized that when I placed the child's dollhouse in the corner, he was blocking the doorway when he played with it! So just look for little things like that. If not, I would click and replace everything that could apppear to be in the way.
  • Options
    bonobotheorybonobotheory Posts: 233 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had a problem where they're unable to put certain books away. They wave their hands and yell like something is blocking the bookcase, but when I tell them to put away a different book they have no trouble doing it.

I just delete the book and set the Sim on fire as punishment.
  • Options
    toomuch4youtoomuch4you Posts: 292 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I was wondering if they get full and they can't put more books on it.
  • Options
    jerziguy1975jerziguy1975 Posts: 52 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Have you tried using your mouse pointer to click and drag the books back into the shelf? The same can be done for the newspapers into the trash cans.
  • Options
    DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2009
    I haven't tried the dragging-we'll see if that works. It id possible that the case was full, hadn't thought of that either. It wasn't blocked-I moved everything away from it, but thanks for the suggestion. And i hadn't thought of setting them on fire as punishment, but that did make me laugh-thanks all.
  • Options
    kusattakokoroxkusattakokorox Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2009
    It can't be that it's full, seeing as I nearly bought out the bookstore and stuffed the case continually.
  • Options
    DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2009
    I think I may just ditch the bookcase completely, as another simmer informed us that everything is available at the library, and that the sim reads much faster there. Cheap, fast and easy-sounds perfect!
  • Options
    MoonfeatherMoonfeather Posts: 188 New Member
    edited June 2009
    quote=bonobotheory]I've had a problem where they're unable to put certain books away. They wave their hands and yell like something is blocking the bookcase, but when I tell them to put away a different book they have no trouble doing it.

I just delete the book and set the Sim on fire as punishment.[/quote]

Lol that sounds like something I would do :twisted:
  • Options
    keenbean543keenbean543 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had that happen too, and I thought maybe it was because the Sim/maid was trying to put up a book that's already in the bookshelf. I deleted a bookshelf, and the Sim had the logic volume 1 book with them at the time, so it stayed in their inventory. When they tried to put it in a different bookshelf that already had the logic book, they kept having a hissy fit. So I just deleted the extra book.
  • Options
    CrankyAshleyCrankyAshley Posts: 80 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm having this issue, but also a maid car is stuck outside and the maid is no longer coming.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited June 2009
    Just click and drag the books into your Sim's inventory. Whenever you want the Sim to read just open up their inventory, click on the book straight from the inventory (don't drag it to the floor), and a menu pops up for you to click telling them to read it. Sims can also read wherever they are while running errands around town, if you keep their books in their inventory. They will just pull it out autonomously and read if you have free will on.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had a problem where they're unable to put certain books away. They wave their hands and yell like something is blocking the bookcase, but when I tell them to put away a different book they have no trouble doing it.

It does depend on the book. If it's one that they got from a job opportunity, they can't return it to the bookcase, but you can replace it into their inventory if they're not done reading it yet.
  • Options
    janellelynnejanellelynne Posts: 402 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I haven't had this problem. I usually clean up after my sims and drag the books to the shelf :shock:
  • Options
    melissawarholmelissawarhol Posts: 133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I haven't had this problem. I usually clean up after my sims and drag the books to the shelf :shock:

I do the same. ^^

Today my sims were yelling about having stuff in the way, but there was nothing.
    Glitches.
  • Options
    CrankyAshleyCrankyAshley Posts: 80 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I actually can't drag the books to the shelf. I figured that would be the easiest way, but no :)

I am pulling them from the family inventory. It also won't let me put them back into my sim's inventory.

I'm going to try having her read them since she autonomously puts them back into her own inventory.

However, my maid is still stuck.