Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NPC Usage of Fun Objects

One of the things that is nice in TS4 is that NPC characters will give up using an object, i.e. computer, to an active sim the player directs to use it. However, NPC's don't use fun objects such as the foosball table or dart board, leastwise in my game. Not only does this lead to locales like the Old Quarter Inn in WB feeling dead when visiting them, it sometimes even means a whim such as "watch a dart game" can't be accomplished.

Since the mechanics for an NPC to give up usage of an object to an active sim is already in place, if a player wants to take advantage of that, I, for one, would like to see NPC usage of objects like the foosball table and dart board implemented. Sitting around watching a tv and occasionally ordering a drink while in a bar/pub while other fun objects are ignored feels flat. The locale doesn't live up to the fun place it should be. Hopefully, this will be considered because I think it would enhance gameplay and think other simmers would too, although I certainly can't speak for them. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with an opinion on this feedback.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Edit the lot and remove the TV and any computers and gaming rigs, that forces NPCs looking for fun to play darts, Foosball, cards, Don't Wake the Llama, whatever is there.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Thank you both for chiming in. @DarkAmaranth1966 that's an excellent suggestion. I can't believe I didn't even think of trying it.

@S100Headache , the only community lot I can quickly think of that benefits from having a computer is a library. If sims are too poor to buy a computer and need it for work tasks, it's handy to have them there. As for whether or not a computer is listed in any community lot's building requirements, I am not sure since I don't build. I hope a TV isn't a requirement for a bar. Agreed a sport's bar would likely have one on premises, if a player wants to set one up for that purpose.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    You can put required objects in inaccessible attics or basements or sheds. Sims will not even acknowledge the objects' existence.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    You can put required objects in inaccessible attics or basements or sheds. Sims will not even acknowledge the objects' existence.

@luthienrising , thanks for reminding me this is possible. My not being a builder has the drawback of not immediately thinking of a solution as easy as this. I appreciate you taking the time to mention it.

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    if you want other sims playing darts or other games, then you have to put them in clubs with that activity required
    if you make a certain bar their meeting point, they will appear there autonomously & play the games you set for them to play
    you can also prohibit watching TV or dancing to stereo

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Hi, DD! I hope they consider your feedback. In the meantime I think @Rukola_Schaaf is right; the group system from GT seems to be the only reliable way to get sims to behave in a believable, expected fashion.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 , Hi Tangie! Yes, you and @Rukola_Schaaf seem to be correct in that the club system is the only reliable way to have other fun objects used. I'm interested, though, in having this possible outside of the club system.

The TV was a required object for a bar, so I did place it in a room below the Old Quarter Inn. Unfortunately, doing so hasn't had much impact. At least now sims who come to the bar don't sit in that back corner most of the time watching the Between TV station, lol. I'll be glad when they tune that not to be the only station my sims now seem to autonomously watch.

Removing the TV seems to have pushed the sims to gravitate towards the bar, with an occasional NPC dancing, for the most part. Hence, my feedback hoping for more autonomous usage of other fun objects remains as is. It's a change I'd like to see implemented in a small step. I don't want to see all the sims heading straight to those fun objects, just a better variety of interactions while in a bar, if possible.
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I would like unplayed or NPCs to take care of w/e their needs are in general rather than leave the lot and generate a new character. I often see them leave the lot to take care of their needs instead of fulfilling them on lot, in particular the bladder need. And what is with every single sim preferring to watch kids TV now? Thats just weird to me, and annoying, I am ready for that station push to be tuned down already lol.

But yeah, I dont really see characters use the fun objects autonomously on community lots, even the one I am playing. They certainly gravitate to these things on residential lots but once on a community lot they only seem interested in computers, televisions and mindlessly ordering drinks from the bar. (or crying in the closet) I am still trying to work out a pattern of expected behavior.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I put a bonfire in the park in Willow Creek, but I haven't seen any Sims autonomously using it. But they're all over the observatory I also have there and the easels in the courtyard at Museum Muses. (I wish there was a way to clear easels other than going into Build/Buy Mode and deleting the left-behind art works.) It seems to be just a bit of fine-tuning needed to attract Sims to those items.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Edit the lot and remove the TV and any computers and gaming rigs, that forces NPCs looking for fun to play darts, Foosball, cards, Don't Wake the Llama, whatever is there.
    Are there any lot types that require a TV or computer?

Yes, a Hospital, Science Lab and, Police Station for the GTW active careers all require computers. Not required but, nice to have at the library as well and, in my game sports bars and a room I keep locked except if I want my active foodie sim to workout and skill cooking at the same time has a TV. I do have a computer on the home lot but, I make any computer actions against the rules for my club, then add whomever I want to come over to the club and have a gathering - No computer using that way.

I have a mod for those gaming rigs so, those are okay in my game now. (Coolspear1's over at MTS. Also have his hot tub mod so, things are more balanced for fun.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    I agree with this a lot. I've never seen npcs playing darts or don't wake the llama, it'd feel so much more like an actual hang out spot if they did those activities.

I think i've seen some mods to make them use things they couldn't before but at this point my game already runs on mods and it's starting to annoy me that i have to spend so much time to fix things manually with mods that i skipped that one :/