Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whims are just disappointing

In the Sims 2 especially, our Sims had wants and fears and a lot of what was shown reflected our sims wants in life and their aspirations. But now with whims it's like my sim wants to "tell a joke" or "play a game". I know Sims 2 had wants like this too but there were bigger achievements, too. Like earning rewards, falling in love, spending time with someone they cared about, etc.

"Whims" to me is like the mentality of a mobile phone gamer. The gamer who plays games on their phone "on a whim" and play for 20 minutes on the bus. I'm sorry but this just isn't enough for a computer platform game. Does anyone sit at their computers on a whim? I think many would disagree, and would agree we like a deeper more engrossing game experience.

Comments

• Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    This just made me realize I never look at the whims, like they don't even matter. Totally different feeling from TS3, for me anyway.
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Like earning rewards...

???

Isn't that the point of whims, to earn points towards a reward you can purchase for your sim?
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Like earning rewards...

???

Isn't that the point of whims, to earn points towards a reward you can purchase for your sim?

depends how you play the game
    i play whims as expression of the sim's personality
    the points is an addition & not the main thing for me

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2016
    I tend to ignore their whims now, I just make up my own Sim's daily/weekly goals.

"Get promoted to Detective at Work"
    "Finish Upgrading the Computer"
    "Renovate kitchen"
    "Save up for a new TV"
    "Play REFUGE"
    "Buy a Motion Gaming Rig"
    "Spend more time with (a sim)"
    "Get (skills) up"

Honestly Whims and Satisfaction Points aren't really my objective.

I've never really used potions, and the reward traits, I just cheat in.

But I do reward a Sim's hard work, by taking him/her out.
    Like When my Sim gets promoted to detective, I plan to take him out to celebrate with his best friends.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Like earning rewards...

???

I understand that people have different playstyles.

The point I was making was that the OP was saying that whims didn't provide rewards, when that's the whole purpose of them being in the game. It's the exact same system in TS3 where you filled a wish to earn Life Happiness points towards rewards. I'm just putting that out there so that people new to the game aren't thinking, "Oh, these whims have no point."
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I don't mind the whims and play them differently depending on which sim I am playing. The ones I dislike the most are buying a 1x1 pool or a tv from not owning a luxury. I always cancel those ones.

Some of my sims work off completing aspirations to get addition traits and some ( most) just ignore whims altogether.
  • Options
    Like earning rewards...

???

The point I was making was that the OP was saying that whims didn't provide rewards, when that's the whole purpose of them being in the game. It's the exact same system in TS3 where you filled a wish to earn Life Happiness points towards rewards. I'm just putting that out there so that people new to the game aren't thinking, "Oh, these whims have no point."

i think you don't understand the difference between the whims of the previous two games & this one

TS4's whims are very mundane & repetitive
    they don't mirror the sim's personality, in most cases the whims repeat for every sim & every sim in the given emotion, no matter the personality

every sim, equal which traits you've given it, if in inspirational emotion will roll the entire palette of that emotion, to cook, to garden, to paint, to play an instrument - over & over again until the emotion has moved to the next one, which also will initiate the next series of repetitive whims

in TS2 sims had memories, which could be quite unique & along those memories & the traits of the sim were their whims, fears & wants different from sim to sim, they repeated too but far more seldom

in TS4 the system of the whims leading to points leading to the reward shop got the upper hand above the meaning of the sims' personality
    the whims are reduced to gaining the points, the sims don't remember a thing, their traits are meaningless as well, play one sim & you know pretty well how the next will act & react & which whims will come up

OP meant with reward not the rewards from the shop bought with points
    but rewards within the game
    OP has chosen probably the wrong word without describing it nearer
    & you understand with rewards exactly what is to be gained in TS4, rewards from the reward shop bought with points gained through fulfilling of sim's whims
    maybe you ought to read OP's post once again to make it clearer to you what was meant

& yes it is correct that TS3 had a similiar system
    but not exactly the same
    TS3 whims have a wider spectrum, repeat less & have to do with the sim's personality & not its emotional state

you can play TS3 whims as pure gaining of points, but this is a reduction of that whims system
    in TS4 you have not much of choice to play it any other way than towards the rewards shop, whims are designed to gain the sim those rewards & not to reflect what's going on in the sims' life - those whims are dispensable after all rewards are bought

if you've never played the previous 2 games along the sim's personality then you've missed quite a lot of what a sims game is

• Options
    Like earning rewards...

???

i think you don't understand the difference between the whims of the previous two games & this one

No, what's really happening here is that you're choosing to ignore what I said earlier, in order to start some kind of argument about which system is better. I don't know why, but I'll just leave it at that.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Whims in TS4 are very forgettable because the variety is poor and honestly so are the rewards, in TS3 and TS2 they actually were what a sim wanted to do. Even more in TS2 they granted aspiration points, if your aspiration points were on the red, a psychologist would fall from the sky and your sim would get depressed. It was a little bit of dark humor and gameplay I kind of apreciated in TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Whims are exactly like the shallow wants that pleasure sims used to have in TS2.
    raw
  • Options
    SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    I wish there were bigger whims as well. Example: my family oriented sim could have a whim of having a child or getting married. Or my foodie sim could have a whim of cooking an excellent quality meal, buying and owning a restaurant, or having a 5 star restaurant. I do like saving up points from whims to buy rewards. I want there to be more rewards that come with game updates, expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I don't mind the whims and play them differently depending on which sim I am playing. The ones I dislike the most are buying a 1x1 pool or a tv from not owning a luxury. I always cancel those ones.

My only issue with whims so far is that sims are too adept at completing them without my help. Because of that, sometimes it all feels superfluous, like, "Why pay attention to my sims' whims when more than half the time, they're going to complete them on their own, anyway?"
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    Like earning rewards...

???

No, what's really happening here is that you're choosing to ignore what I said earlier, in order to start some kind of argument about which system is better. I don't know why, but I'll just leave it at that.

the OP has already compared TS4 to TS2

it's not about better
    it's about players with diffrent preferences which are now not satisfied because they have only one choice
    you are satisfied with how TS4 handles whims, others not, that's all

• Options
    LutefiskLutefisk Posts: 92 Member
    I wish whims were used as a way to show off a sim's personality and were extremely trait specific. TS3 was good about this in my opinion, but it would have been cool if they had taken it even further in this game. Since traits don't seem to control autonomous behavior very much, it could have been a good supplement.
  • Options
    CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    yes, whims are just random. I usually ignore them.
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Meh, I ignored all the wants, fears, wishes, and whims ever since I discovered the magic of cheating.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Meh, I ignored all the wants, fears, wishes, and whims ever since I discovered the magic of cheating.
    & what's the point to play a simulation if you cheat ?

for me it's the core gameplay of this franchise,
    i thought that's why it's called The Sims & not The Avatars or The Socials or Little Puppet Corner or Your Dollhouse

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    This is one of the reasons I can't keep playing the game for more than a few minutes a time, and between that would be months...

The whims in this game remind me of the rotating wishes in TS3 when you hit a Festival ground. They really don't mean a whole lot, and they are only there because they are in a certain space that triggers the "wishes" personality doesn't have a ton of play in these areas. Only with TS4 its a never ending series of useless whims that have nothing to do with the sims personality. I really wish that their emotions had MORE to do with their personalities. IMO that should have been #1, seeing as they touted the emotions system as being SO advanced. I guess I imagined that all the sims would act differently, but my artsy sims acted and wanted to paint as much as any other sim that didn't have that trait.

Its unfortunate because had they had a more accurate emotions system I think I might have stuck with it more.

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    LemontailLemontail Posts: 360 Member
    I barely even look at whims because they are in worst place: top of Sims's heads, so i forgot to take whims because it's easily distracted and combines with the screen. In Sims 3 it's not so much so I have fun taking wishes. But I still play TS4.
  • Options
    LutefiskLutefisk Posts: 92 Member
    I just realized something else about this, a lot of whims are also aspiration-based. It seems like a 50/50 split between generic social/emotion whims and aspiration whims. Right now I have two sims with the Collector aspiration and they are constantly rolling whims to find various collectables. My family sims always want to buy toys, etc.

I wonder if that ties in at all to a lot of people's complaints that aspirations get boring after a while and that there aren't enough of them. If they have that much of an effect on whims they kind of dilute the sims down even more.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I had "flirt with Nancy (to be close in a friendly relationship)" and "flirt with Candy (to be close in a friendly relationship)" at the same time for a married sim... he wasn't married with one of them, nor he had a romantic trait or flirty mood. So I agree, whims are random and disappointing.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    That's terrible. It's also another example of the lack of conditional logic applied to this game. There should be coding that says, IF sim is married - or possesses faithful reward - or yada yada - THEN sim will not form romantic attachments or get whims to flirt. They could even throw in an UNLESS the following conditions apply... (insert various conditions).

They really need to step up the coding for this game so that there is better logic governing the simulation.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!