Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Low FPS in live mode

Hi,

When I was playing Sims 4 earlier today the FPS was about 55-60 in live mode and then it suddenly dipped down to 20 and it is stuck there no matter what I do (lower settings, repairing game, ect.)

My PC specs meets the recommended requirements for the game so I do not know what happened but now every time I log in it would be at 60 FPS in the main menu and house management but when I go to play a household it suddenly just goes to 20. On build mode it is 30 FPS.

I play on Ultra if that helps.

Help me :'( . Crisp gameplay is like ironing a button up shirt.
I bought a GTX 1070 to play Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,642 Member
    Do you have any mods or CC? Try removing them cuz they might be conflicting with the latest patch and maybe causing some lag. Move your mods folder out to your desktop, then start the game again. It will generate a new mod folder. Test out your game.

If you don't have any mods, try starting a new save game (from the main menu) and test out to see if it plays fine on live mode.

If that doesn't work as well, back up your saves and move your whole TS4 folder out (from your Electronic Arts Folder), start your game and play around for a bit and test out the fps. If everything is fine, exit the game and place your saves and things from your tray folder back respectively.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    mushplomplommushplomplom Posts: 760 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Do you have any mods or CC? Try removing them cuz they might be conflicting with the latest patch and maybe causing some lag. Move your mods folder out to your desktop, then start the game again. It will generate a new mod folder. Test out your game.

If you don't have any mods, try starting a new save game (from the main menu) and test out to see if it plays fine on live mode.

If that doesn't work as well, back up your saves and move your whole TS4 folder out (from your Electronic Arts Folder), start your game and play around for a bit and test out the fps. If everything is fine, exit the game and place your saves and things from your tray folder back respectively.

Did both.

Removing Mods/CC did not help live mode is still stuck at 20 fps.

I also removed Sims 4 folder out of Electronic Arts Folders and started a new game the only difference was that instead of 60 fps in cas and map mode it was 200 fps but unfortunately live mode is still capped with 20 fps. :/

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @chesterbigbird FPS issues Thanks

@mushplomplom what video card do you have?
  • Options
    DockIeeDockIee Posts: 23 Member

I also removed Sims 4 folder out of Electronic Arts Folders and started a new game the only difference was that instead of 60 fps in cas and map mode it was 200 fps but unfortunately live mode is still capped with 20 fps. :/

Does the FPS dip happen instantly when you go into live mode? Same when going into build mode; does the small FPS increase happen immediately?

Is it possible for you to install a program that monitors core temperatures like HWMonitor and post your GPU temperatures here?

Do you play in fullscreen or windowed fullscreen and do you alt+tab alot during gameplay?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Did both.

Hmm, it shouldn't be going up to 200 on map mode. Can you go to the game options and under graphics, turn on vertical sync and see if that changes.

Since resetting the folder and starting a new game didn't help, I think you should try to reinstall the whole game again. Remember to move your mods folder somewhere else and when you're done reinstalling, don't put back in your mods first, just check the game with a new game. The recent patch might have messed up your game a bit, but I hope reinstalling would do the trick.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    What graphics card do you have?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    My FPS instantly dips.

AMD Radeon HD 7800.

I have tried vertical sync and I do not alt tab.

I also use Windowed Fullscreen.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the new patch because my computer was being repaired so everything was wiped and I re-downloded Sims 4 after the patch was released.

And I am positive it is a hardware issue (loud noises from fans)...I'll look into my computer when I can.

• Options
    My FPS instantly dips.

AMD Radeon HD 7800.

I have tried vertical sync and I do not alt tab.

I also use Windowed Fullscreen.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the new patch because my computer was being repaired so everything was wiped and I re-downloded Sims 4 after the patch was released.

And I am positive it is a hardware issue (loud noises from fans)...I'll look into my computer when I can.

Did you update your video card after your computer was wiped?
  • Options
    It maybe a heating issue. @phoebebebe13 can give you the link to temp software.. im on my phone at the moment.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    It maybe a heating issue. @phoebebebe13 can give you the link to temp software.. im on my phone at the moment.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah I updated my drivers

Here are the screenshots I took

Untitled_4.png

Untitledfff_2.png

I also checked the fans and I cleaned them so they are not loud anymore.

And on a side note every time I open household management I CTD when the households are loading not sure if these 2 things are related but they both appeared at about the same time.

ddddddd.png

This is the first time I've had any issues with Sims 4 which aren't related to cc/mods since release.

• Options
    The temps for your graphics card is way too hot. @chesterbigbird might be able to suggest something.

Also, have you tried reinstalling the game?
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The temps for your graphics card is way too hot. @chesterbigbird might be able to suggest something.

Also, have you tried reinstalling the game?

Perhaps setting a fan curve will help. :)

MSI Afterburner:
    https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    @mushplomplom
    You absolutely have a heating problem. You probably have GPU throttling.
    What case do you have? I would not be trying to play the game until you get your heating issue under control.. those temps are very high.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    @mushplomplom
    What case do you have? I would not be trying to play the game until you get your heating issue under control.. those temps are very high.

hey chester long time no talk!!! lol my graphics card stays around 71C while playing which isnt bad i would freak out at 101C lol
  • Options
    @mushplomplom

hey chester long time no talk!!! lol my graphics card stays around 71C while playing which isnt bad i would freak out at 101C lol

Hey :)
    Been a long time! 71 isn't too bad but could be better. Mine generally stayed around 55-62 But then again i did have 6 fans in my pc LOL.
    I sold my pc yesterday for $1,000.. Buying another very soon.
    But yeah 100 is very bad.. performance will take a hit at those temps.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited June 2016
    turning down lighting etc could help? but it is a HD so maybe not?? i wouldnt advise the OP to use the computer with those temps for games especally if it is a laptop
  • Options
    turning down lighting etc could help? but it is a HD so maybe not?? i wouldnt advise the OP to use the computer with those temps for games especally if it is a laptop

Settings wouldn't really help all that much. The OP probably has zero airflow. Usually a gpu should stay under 80 on a desktop and under 90 on a laptop. Lower the better.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    @mushplomplom , you may want to examine the computer with the case open while the game is running to verify that any and all fans are actually working. I've had the fan on a graphics cards burn out before - that may be why your other case fan(s) are so loud now, if they're trying to compensate. Also, ensure that there isn't anything interfering with them - clumps of dust, hair, etc, or anything else that could jam up a small fan. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    Thanks I'll look into it and see if anything changes.