Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Base Game Needs More

coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
edited June 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This is coming from a player who still only owns the base game*

I appreciate many of the added features since release such as ghosts, pools, the tragic clown, and the numerous other quality of life changes to the base game. But I'm still finding the base game incredibly lacking in a lot of areas. In particular, family play is not as fleshed out as I'd like it to be and I believe the life stages need some more attention from the developers.

I also think gardening and woodcrafting are among some of the features that seem very under utilized. My sim has a level 8 handyman skill, but can only craft 4 furniture pieces on the woodwork table? I was hoping he would furnish more of his lot than that.

The expansions & game packs look okay, in particular outdoor retreat and some of Get to Work. But not only do I think they don't justify the cost ($40 to buy outdoor retreat in my country, Australia), I also don't feel good about spending that kind of money just to give my sims a single new activity to do. My gut feeling tells me I should be getting more out of my base game FIRST, before I drop money to have additional experiences. NOT to complete an unfinished game.

I get it, the Sims to a lot of people is more than a game. It's a phenomenon. A lot of people will buy, because it's the sims, and the performance is great, it can be run on most machines. But I don't think that gives it a pass to have such inflated prices for additional, should-be-optional content. I could buy an entire new game for that price. Please tell me, does the content in these game packs match up to the amount of content in an entirely new game?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading.

Comments

• Options
    inmyhead63inmyhead63 Posts: 17 Member
    "Outdoor Retreat" makes a fun getaway. "Get to work" was fun for a bit and still does add a lot .. but the true game changer was adding "Get together" Before these packs I felt my game was pretty thin but adding these really helped with the fun factor. Its worth it to pay for a little expansion.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    edited June 2016
    OP, I totally understand where you are coming from. I bought everything that came out for the past three iterations of the series, usually on release day, but as far as this one goes, I've skipped all but one of the stuff packs and I'm not even planning on buying Dine Out. With the others, I loved what was offered and bought new content because I wanted to add to that, but with TS4, I've been so bored with what we already have that I'm just not interested in adding to it. I know it sounds weird because you would think being bored would make me want more content, I guess I lost interest with the base game and now I'm just kinda "meh" about the whole thing. And I do believe it's all overpriced but I felt that way with TS2 and TS3 too, but those were worth it to me because I was having so much fun.

I honestly wanted to like this one. When I played a while and realized it wasn't as much fun to me, I switched to building. I entertained myself with that for a while, and then in the hopes I could really enjoy it, I went back in and starting playing a rotational game. That lasted a week or so, and now I'm doing nothing but reading the forums.

Playing Sims games has been my major hobby for the past fifteen years, and I never regretted purchasing anything Sims-related until TS4. Of what I've bought for this series, Get Together has been the one I've gotten the most use out of and the one I would say expanded my gameplay the most.

ETA: I wanted to add, the very reason I've stopped buying new content for TS4 is because of the features I feel are missing. It's like you said, it feels like an unfinished game and throwing more money into it probably won't finish it for me and just doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I feel like the game needs to expand the lifetime achievement system way further and more complex than what we have now.

That really is the core of the game, to me. The system just does not feel important at all, and it's boring/grindy. I really wish for a pack that overhauls that entire area of the game to be more fun, interesting, and important in our Sims' lives.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2016
    Outdoor Retreat is $30 (I'm in Australia too).

I feel like the base game still is lacking in a few areas, but I feel like activity wise, it's has the most of any base game.
    In some areas it deliverers more than I would expect, and some it doesn't nearly at all.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah base game still needs a lot of help. Some things will need adding and some things will require tweaking.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    I think basegames in this franchise will always have this problem players are used to a predecessor loaded with content. I don't believe therefore a good basegame in The Sims depends on things like gardening or a lot of collectables or weather or a whirlpool. It needs challenging gameplay, sims with character and uniqueness, creative building tools, a lot of freedom for players to make it their own game, even when it's just the basegame.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The game newspapers before I even co sidet giving it a second though.

Now I have already said this once today but I will say it again, news papers are pure base game content! :neutral:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg