Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection - Stuck at loading screen

tiagomoucho3tiagomoucho3 Posts: 123 Member
edited May 2016 in The Sims 2
Hi guys!

So every time I start Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to continue playing my save file it freezes while loading... At first it froze at 'waxing banisters'? And when I removed some cache files it went to 'ceiling fan rotation = DL/DC' and it froze there. The solution I found is to delete all the Sims 2 folder in My Documents and then replace the Neighborhoods folder to the latest I got so I don't loose my save file but this method is really tiring because I have to start the game one time to create the folder again, and after replacing the Neighborhoods folder is when I can start playing for real!

Does anyone know why this happens?
My operating system is Windows 10 and I use some fixes to play at my default screen resolution and to use my Nvidia instead of my Intel card. Also I have disabled shadow for Sims because of the black boxes under them.
Post edited by tiagomoucho3 on

Comments

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    It might not be freezing. If you have played the save a while, it can take a little while to load.

You can delete the Accessory.cashe and Groups.cashe in the sims 2 folder. You can also delete the neighborhood manager in your neighborhoods folder, on the bottom under all your neighborhoods.

Cleaning these out regularly will help keep your game quick and smooth. I delete mine after each play through. You can also try to run the game in compatibility mode, like Windows XP. Or as Administrator and see if it makes a difference.

The black boxes can be fixed with a mod if you are interested.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @JULES1111
    Unfortunately deleting those cache files doesn't work for me :disappointed:
    And I know the game isn't loading because my disk activity is null.
    I just want to play :(
  • Options
    It can stop temporarily. Mine has done that at the start also. I don't know about Windows 10, I don't have it, but if you open task manager while the game is trying to load, can you right click on the Sims 2 program and bump it up to be more "important" , to dedicate more computer power to it?

There is also a 4GB patch that you can install to patch the .exe file of the game, so instead of only being able to call on 2gb of memory it can use 4. ( best if only attempted on a 64 bit system)
  • Options
    Removing Secrom might also help with loading
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @JULES1111
    No matter what I try it doesn't fix the problem. The only solution is to delete sims 2 folder but it is a pain in the *ss.
    I have that 4GB patch also, forgot to mention it.
    Removed SecuRom too, still crashing :disappointed:
  • Options
    Do you have any CC or mods? Removed secrom? I am running out of ideas, how long do you wait to see if it will start loading again? Sometimes I find that if it seems it is stuck, I open task manager and just leave it. It seems to kick the game into gear and it pops back up on the screen loading again.
  • Options
    Do you have a lot of other programs running in the background? If so you could disable some to see if it helps.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @JULES1111
    I figured it out!! So, I knew the problem lied in the sims 2 folder. So what I did was remove a folder one by one and checking whether the game would load or not. To my surprise the folder who was conflicting with the game was the Config folder... And with some more testing, I found out that it was the smooth edges option (which was set to max). After turning it off the game started working again.
    The bad part is: I have a decent graphic card that is able to run sims 2 with everything on max and not being able to use smooth edges while I play sucks :disappointed:

UPDATE: So I arranged a workaround to deal with smooth edges. As the game doesn't require to restart when the graphic options are changed, all I have to do is set smooth edges to max as soon I'm at a neighborhood and when I leave the game disable them again. Not perfect, but works :smiley:
  • Options
    Awesome! :D I am glad you got it figured out! Certainly less of a pain the moving folders around for sure! Enjoy your game!
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Question about the caches. I don't seem to have an "accessory.cache," but I do have a "Groups.cache." It shows it was created on 4/30/2016, and hasn't been updated since. If I delete that, are you sure it won't cause any problems in the game? As I told someone else recently who suggested I delete this cache, I'm just terrified of messing something up, so I am afraid to delete it.
  • Options
    Question about the caches. I don't seem to have an "accessory.cache," but I do have a "Groups.cache." It shows it was created on 4/30/2016, and hasn't been updated since. If I delete that, are you sure it won't cause any problems in the game? As I told someone else recently who suggested I delete this cache, I'm just terrified of messing something up, so I am afraid to delete it.

Nope it is perfectly safe to delete. It gets remade every time you go into the game, which is why you should delete it. It can get big, just storing temporary information, and drag down your loading times, even enough that it will prevent your game from loading at all if it gets to big.

You should also delete the one in the neighborhood file, the manager. Again it is just a temporary file.
  • Options
    The one called "NeighborhoodManager.package?"
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    I don't delete the NeighborhoodManger.package all the time and don't see why anyone would want too if they aren't having any problems.

Groups.cache, accessory.cache and cigen.package (the cigen.package will only show up if you have opened Bodyshop), can all be deleted and should be regularly, specially groups.cache. The game will just make new ones. Think of them as trash bins that the the game puts some stuff in and then forgets to empty. They then get stuffed & stinky and the groups.cache in particular can prevent your game from loading. Most people just delete it before they load the game.

I just use an empty groups.cache file that is set to read only so I don't have to delete it anymore.
    http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/t1229-are-you-always-deleting-the-groups-cache-file

• Options

I just use an empty groups.cache file that is set to read only so I don't have to delete it anymore.
    http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/t1229-are-you-always-deleting-the-groups-cache-file

That is really smart! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    The one called "NeighborhoodManager.package?"

Yes that's the one.

@SleepycatDSL The only reason I suggest deleting the neighborhood package is because once my game just would NOT load, no matter what! A friend suggested I delete that package when I delete the other caches, well I deleted it, and my game started right up. Now mind you I know you do not have to delete it constantly, but after playing on the same save for years, it can get bulky :D I just now make it a habit to delete with the others, as for one no harm comes from it, and also I won't forget about it's existence :D

Oh and thats sweet about the groups cashe :o *goes to check it out*
  • Options
    OK, thanks. I'll try deleting the groups.cache. But, like I said, I don't seem to have anything called, "accessory.cache." Am I supposed to? I looked in all the folders. It's not anywhere. Just the groups.cache.
  • Options
    OK, thanks. I'll try deleting the groups.cache. But, like I said, I don't seem to have anything called, "accessory.cache." Am I supposed to? I looked in all the folders. It's not anywhere. Just the groups.cache.

Accessory.cashe is only there if you use CC :)
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Accessory.cashe is only there if you use CC :)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, well, that explains that! Lol

Thanks!
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    @JULES1111 ahh yes, I do agree that deleting the neighborhoodmanager.package once in a while can be a good idea. I probably am due to delete mine. *deletes it while she is thinking of it*