Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Erased Memories cause Family Drama

Hello, Fellow Simmers,

So, I have a family in which the father is an alien and the mother is a human. He is a Genius, a Loner and a Perfectionist. She is Childish, a Goofball and an Insider. For the past few in game months, their relationship has been great! They flirted, dated, woo-hooed, got married and are now expecting a child. Everything SHOULD be perfect, except for one problem; for some reason the husband keeps using "Erase Memory" on his wife independent of what I tell him to do.

The first time it happened they were involved in a group chat with a few Townies who discovered he was an alien when he started to glow with Confidence (I keep him in his disguise about 95% of the time), so I figured he was aiming at the Townies and accidentally hit his wife. No matter, I loaded a previous saved game and made sure they did not attend that party; but ever since that event, if I don't watch the two of them like a hawk, he will attempt to erase her memory. Apparently it is linked to the Mischievous trait, in which he somehow got one rank while flirting with his wife.

What do I do?!? Micromanagement is part of the Sims experience, but playing the role of NBC censor trying to be one second ahead of the swear word is not at all fun. At one point, I decided to simply play the event out and rebuild the relationship, but the wife wanted NOTHING to do with him and every Friendly interaction failed to the point that they were two words away from being enemies. Is there anything I can do to prevent my alien from assuming the role of the M.I.B. in every conversation?

~~ Alorxico

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Wow, this has never happened to any of my married couples, but I did have this one sim who this did happen to. She was trying to get involved romantically with, and at first all was pretty good. But then he pulled that stunt on her, after that, I did try for a little but to see if I could get things back to the way they were, but he was not interested. So when I was reading what you wrote, the first thing that came to my mind was maybe the husband just doesn't want to be married to his wife, and he's hoping that she'll forget about him, and move on.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Memory erase isn't supposed to be autonomous unless you have the alien autonomy mod. Check if you have it, there's a flavor without the autonomous mind erase :)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Bert1701Bert1701 Posts: 159 Member
    Is he in a club gathering when this happens? The only time I've seen memory erase used autonomously in my game is when I set my Alien club to "use alien powers", and my alien sim is level 9 mischief so she uses the others quite often.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    When it happened to my sim, she was sitting on the couch at her home, and he was visiting. I don't play with any mods in TS4, so it can happen.
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    It's not perfect by any means but...

If you have GT you can set up a club just for the couple. I like to do this cause it helps promote romance or skill building depending on what they need. Then make the use of Alien Powers forbidden at least against members of the club.

I had one of my sim's erase his husband's memory right before he died but in a way that was funny. It was like he didn't want his husband sad when he left. It would make me crazy any other time though so I can sympathize.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    Okay .... I think I figured something out. The wife is a Goofball and, if I am not dictating everything they say to each other, will occasionally do something out of the Mischief category when in a playful mood. It is in THOSE instances, when both are "playful" and one has done something Mischievous to the other that he will try to erase her memory.

But to answer some questions, @zeldagirl180 I double checked but autonomy is turned off. @Bert1701 the first time it happened they were in a group. They had gotten invited to a lot party by some NPC and the entire group learned he was an alien because he started to glow. He then used "Erase memory" and it hit everyone in the group, including his wife. It is only after I reverted to an earlier save that I noticed he was doing it a lot, almost like the game remembered he had done it before and wanted him to do it again.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Alorxico wrote: »
    Hello, Fellow Simmers,

So, I have a family in which the father is an alien and the mother is a human. He is a Genius, a Loner and a Perfectionist. She is Childish, a Goofball and an Insider. For the past few in game months, their relationship has been great! They flirted, dated, woo-hooed, got married and are now expecting a child. Everything SHOULD be perfect, except for one problem; for some reason the husband keeps using "Erase Memory" on his wife independent of what I tell him to do.

The first time it happened they were involved in a group chat with a few Townies who discovered he was an alien when he started to glow with Confidence (I keep him in his disguise about 95% of the time), so I figured he was aiming at the Townies and accidentally hit his wife. No matter, I loaded a previous saved game and made sure they did not attend that party; but ever since that event, if I don't watch the two of them like a hawk, he will attempt to erase her memory. Apparently it is linked to the Mischievous trait, in which he somehow got one rank while flirting with his wife.

What do I do?!? Micromanagement is part of the Sims experience, but playing the role of NBC censor trying to be one second ahead of the swear word is not at all fun. At one point, I decided to simply play the event out and rebuild the relationship, but the wife wanted NOTHING to do with him and every Friendly interaction failed to the point that they were two words away from being enemies. Is there anything I can do to prevent my alien from assuming the role of the M.I.B. in every conversation?

~~ Alorxico

Very interesting. I had an alien that was not in my household erase my Sims memory. & I've seen it occur a lot between two alien Sims not in my household. I thought it was cool, as I'd never seen it done autonomously. I'm enjoying this for storytelling purposes.
    However, sorry this is happening in your game. I'm wondering if this is a glitch or bug?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    This happened to me a while back. A teen son erased his mothers memory of him. I thought "hey, that's a cool way to forget you should be grounded/doing chores/homework" and put it to the back of my mind for potential use later.

The tragic thing was, his dad died of old age before he had got back to friend status with his mum. So there was this teen, dad just died, and mum couldn't console him, because she didn't know him well enough to care.
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    edited May 2016
    @Sha2520032003 It can be interesting from a storytelling point of view, but at the time I found it very terrifying. I don't think it is a bug or glitch, per-say, but it might have something to do with the game wanting your Sims to have at least one level in all the "social" options: Charisma, Romance, Funny, Mean and Mischief.

I have a very serious Sim in one of my other families and for the longest time all of his default socialization options (the list that appears when you first click on another Sim to speak with them) were all Romantic, Funny or Mean. I finally let him be funny with someone and the number of funny options dropped like a stone.

@EmmaVane Aww, that's so sad. Did Mom remember the dad or no?
  • Options
    Yes. The memory wipe only removes the memory of the alien that does it.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Interesting.

Me, personally I would love something like that to happen ... in both the game and life .... but that is another story.

I think if I wanted to rebuild the relationship after something like that, I would send the wife to the shower and take a steamy shower to get her in a flirty mood and then have the husband try to get the friendship/romance bars back up. One rejected romance and the bars take a hit and it can get into the red enemies zone quick.
  • Options
    I've got this situation again in my current rotation. The family is a man and his wife, mother and son. The wife is an alien and keeps wiping the mother-in-law's memory of her. Makes me laugh, 'cause she's not even a bad mother-in-law. She gets embarrassed and MIL gets angry every time I have to reintroduce them :p
  • Options
    VixrotreVixrotre Posts: 2 New Member
    My teen came back from school with a project. I made her mom assist with it. While they were working, they were chatting and I wasn't paying close attention to it until I noticed they stopped talking.
    And I could introduce the daughter to her mother.
    Pretty sure the daughter erased her mother's memory of her.
    Used a cheat (modifyrelationship John Doe Jane Doe 50 LTR_Friendship_Main) to get their relationship back. The parents are elders with glowing life bars, I don't want them to pass away being only acquainted with their only child!
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    If the erasing memory thing is really tied to the Mischievous Trait you could try a few cheats to reset the skill.

Select the husband

Do Ctrl + Shift + C to open the cheat window

Type testingcheats true
    [Enter]

Type stats.set_skill_level Major_Mischief 0
    [Enter]

Save your game
    Exit completely
    Reload your game

His Mischief skill should now be nonexistent.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hannah_Rose13Hannah_Rose13 Posts: 1 New Member
    So I’m on a PlayStation 4 and my couple also is having the same problem. She is pregnant with their child and he erased her memory on prank day and I can’t figure out how to get it back? Everyone is saying use cheats but I can’t. Doesn’t anyone know if it wears off or something?
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    It's autonomous, I don't know why they did it this way. I used scumbumbo autonomy mod to remove the autonomy from the interaction. If you want to use mods that's an option. You can remove the autonomy with MCCC too.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    When Sandra Matthwews had her boy Wesley in my current play through, i used MCCC to forget active sim from Wesley's POV and used it on the boys father who kept wondering over. Now the boys father doesn't come around any more. it says in the relationship panel that he is the father but has no relationship with him. Frankly it should of been like that from the start since the boy has no father of which to speak of, just a mother.

That was to expand on the previous comment.