Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Letting your toddlers grow into teens/school age kids

I currently have a sims toddler that has completed all of the toddler related tasks and want her to grow into a teen. Is the only way to bake a cake and celebrate her birthday? It also looks like I can make a call on the house phone and there is an option to adopt a teen for a fee (real money). How do I allow my toddler to grow into a teen/school aged child?

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    There are two ways. You can bake them a birthday cake. Or you can age them up for free when you have done the Life Dreams & Legacies Quest. When you have done that quest they will become older all the time and it will therefore instead cost you a few LPs to stop them from aging up when you don't want them to.

I don't use real money on my game. So adoption is not something that I would ever do.
  • Options
    MusicMeg222MusicMeg222 Posts: 163 Member
    What level is that quest in? Im at level 19 ans havent seen it yet. I would like to complete it so my toddler can grow older. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The mentioned quest unlocks at lvl 26. It changes the game quite a bit.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Also, it doesn't matter who in your game bakes a cake and that it seems to disappear from being after baking it. The game remembers an unused baked birthday cake. I have one baker sim and when she isn't working on something specific, I've had her just bake a birthday cake for future needs.
  • Options
    Also, it doesn't matter who in your game bakes a cake and that it seems to disappear from being after baking it. The game remembers an unused baked birthday cake. I have one baker sim and when she isn't working on something specific, I've had her just bake a birthday cake for future needs.
    I did that earlier too. But only one or two cakes so I wouldn't have to wait when I needed another sim to grow up. You should also stop doing this when you are close to lvl 26 because when you have done the Life Dreams & Legacies quest (unlocked at lvl 26) then you don't need birthday cakes anymore.
  • Options
    Thats good to know. I need to bake a cake now for the toddlers birthday but I dont have enough LP points. Trying to get more.
  • Options
    Thats good to know. I need to bake a cake now for the toddlers birthday but I dont have enough LP points. Trying to get more.
    LPs are very important. But you can get a lot of them just by doing all the different hobbies.

I wouldn't do the mentioned Life Dreams & Legacies quest at all unless I had at least 50 to 100 LPs because you need them to stop all your sims from unwanted aging up. Resetting a life stage for an adult cost 9 LPs when the circle around he's/her picture becomes red and 12 LPs if you just wait a little longer so the adult sim instead has a birthday cake appearing over its head. Younger sims are cheaper (and especially babies) to prevent from aging.

You can stop aging only by resetting the circle or by having the sims idle because the sims only become older if they do something. Still your sims will always be able to earn more than enough LPs by doing hobbies most of the time. But sometimes you will have to use about 50 LPs within very short time to stop several sims from aging up. Therefore you should attempt to save at least 50 to 100 LPs before doing the Life Dreams & Legacies quest.

I only allow aging up for the 3 extra adult sims which I moved in with the purpose to have them working on their life dreams. When they have fulfilled their life dreams I let them move on to their afterlife to collect the life orb which they earned by fulfilling their life dream. (Life orbs are needed for building many places on the Mystery Island.)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    I did that earlier too. But only one or two cakes so I wouldn't have to wait when I needed another sim to grow up. You should also stop doing this when you are close to lvl 26 because when you have done the Life Dreams & Legacies quest (unlocked at lvl 26) then you don't need birthday cakes anymore.

Ohh... I haven't gotten that quest yet I guess? I haven't finished my seniors one because I haven't built the ski lodge - can't afford it. I'm level 34 I think.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

Ohh... I haven't gotten that quest yet I guess? I haven't finished my seniors one because I haven't built the ski lodge - can't afford it. I'm level 34 I think.
    I have §7.8 million in unused cash. But I can only use it to build more houses which I don't need because my population is the max 34. I already have one uninhabited house and the remaining public buildings can only be built for life orbs. So my cash doesn't really matter anymore. I will decide later which other empty houses I want to build ;)

I don't know why you haven't seen the Life Dreams & Legacies quest if you are lvl 34. Do you have some other quest which you haven't worked on for ages and which could be the explanation?
  • Options
    @Erpe, yup, that Seniors one. I am at 65% on that and haven't built the snow park yet. There are three quests in the queue after this gets completed. Bird Feeding, In Stitches and then Life Dreams and Legacies. I knew I wouldn't complete the current quest in time to get the exercise bike so I've just let it sit there while I work on other stuff. I am collecting keys because I want the Fortune Box for ten keys, I have only 7 now and the next weekly task starts in about fifteen minutes. I am also working hard to build up my SP's to buy the Scandinavian House. I will be able to start to build the Snow Park today. Oh, and I thought I was level 34 but I was wrong, I am at 33, and I have 24 sims.
  • Options
    I just completed the current sleepwear quest in less than half time because I had several of the sleepwear items already. So I guess that this quest also were there last year. (You need to have built the mall and unlocked the catwalk area inside it for this quest.) So now I guess that it will take more than a week before I will get another quest to replace it.
  • Options
    I'm not going to have enough time to do the sleepwear one, hope it comes around again!
  • Options
    It seems that the sleepwear quest is a repetition from April 2015. So the items which I already had must mean that I also did the quest at that time. But I must have been at a low level then because I began playing this game early in 2015.
  • Options
    Is there any other way to age toddlers to teen sims? Im trying to bake a birthday cake but it seems like I never have 5 LP at once to bake it.
  • Options
    Is there any other way to age toddlers to teen sims? Im trying to bake a birthday cake but it seems like I never have 5 LP at once to bake it.
    LPs are very important. But you can get a lot of them by watching ingame videos and by completing hobbies. You should always try to collect at least a hundred unused LPs.

The reason is that you will need a lot of LPs especially after you have done the Life Dreams & Legacies quests because then you will have automatic aging in your game. You can't go back after you have done this because it completely changes the game in the following ways:

1. All your sims will age automatically. They done age unless they do something though. So you don't need to fear that they become older if you don't play for some time because you are busy with something else.
    2. You won't need birthday cakes anymore unless you are too impatient to just wait until they grow up to the next age group.
    3. But you will need LPs if you don't want them to become older and eventually die from old age. You can reset them to the beginning of their current age group by using LPs. This usually cost from 1 LP (for babies) to 9 LPs (for adults). Adults will become seniors if you let them grow up and seniors will move on to their afterlife if you let the grim reaper take them.
    4. You can give your sims life dreams. If you let them work on their life dream to fulfill it then you will get a life orb when they die if the life dream is fulfilled. There are 4 types of life dreams which can give you 4 different types of life orbs which you will need to build different buildings on the mysterious iland.

I only have 3 to 4 sims working on their life dreams. Those sims have never been babies in my game because I just let them move into an empty house as adults. While they are adults they can only fulfill their life dream 86% (and there are no problems fulfilling the life dreams if you let them work on it). Then you can advance them to seniors for free and they increase the 86% further to 100% as seniors. Then I can let them move on to their afterlife for free and harvest the life orb they leave behind for having completed their life dream and move another new adult into their empty house.

The problem is that I don't want any of my other sims to grow older and die. Therefore I always prevent this by using LPs. So I need to save as many LPs as I can to always do this. So even though I get a lot of LPs from letting them work on their hobbies the number of stored LPs grow very slowly. But the number of LPs still grows. So I can still afford to also use a few LPs on other things.

It takes forever to get enough life orbs to build something on the iland. I have already built 3 buildings for life orbs though and I am now working to get enough life orbs for the last one which is the Barkshire Pet Park. When I have built this I will work on improvements inside those buildings and this will require even more life orbs. So there will still be something to work on in the game for many many months ;)

This was a long answer to your question. But the short answer is that there is another way if you fulfill the Life Dreams & Legacies quests first. You probably can't do that though. So you will probably need the 5 LPs for the birthday cake.