Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slot-popping & Transitional Animations

Hi guys, hope you're having an awesome day. :)

I was just thinking about all the corner cutting that has gone into this franchise, not just S4 but 3 as well. It seems to me the go-to thing to cut is always 'transitional' animations (like getting into a car, reaching into cupboards to get kitchen utensils, having real baby bottles you had to get from the fridge etc) and also how sims receive new items. For me, those 'little' details were what made the sims feel real. I dislike slot-popping, and I dislike the automatic way sims order things (ie order parts on the computer, poof they appear in the inventory). I would have gone the complete opposite way, even if it meant getting less 'stuff', I would much prefer that the 'stuff' we have is fully interactive, and has real game play VALUE.

In my dream game, sims would not be able to simply buy food from their own fridge, for example. I liked the option to either visit a grocery store, or order groceries and have them DELIVERED by a DELIVERY PERSON. Then they had to put the basket away, by *gasp* opening the fridge and placing the basket inside! It seems S4 subscribes to the rpg style blanket 'interact' animation where your character vaguely swipes in front of them and the item is magically activated/collected what have you. They did this a bit in 3, but sims 4 has really embraced it and taken slot popping to a whole new level. My big issue with this is, where does it end? Will sims 5 have no mail man, just automated e-bills? What about turning on the tv? Will they do that with their cell phones (that they don't have to purchase?) ? It's as though the game is headed toward a situation where the only animation they will need to make is one of a sim using a phone. Want to order pizza? Stare at your phone for a second and the pizza will magically appear in your pocket! Life simulation! :sweat:

Personally, I would have gone totally the other way with it. I would have made it a priority to give real weight and purpose to items in game. For example, I would prefer that when you buy a bookshelf, it comes empty except for the basic skill books. Then you would have to go to the library to borrow books, or sign up for a book club to receive books in the mail once a week, or purchase them from a book store. I suspect many might see that as an annoyance, but I'm one of those weirdos who loved having to go clothing shopping in S2. It gives my sims a reason to visit community lots, it makes collecting the books more interesting, and it adds to realism! For me, it has a huge amount of gameplay value. The current system is a big factor in my inability to suspend my disbelief.

This sort of short cut is really noticeable to me in the sims series, I'm curious if the rest of you guys feel the same. Does it bother you? Do you notice it? Do you think having to actually acquire items either from stores or from delivery people is a positive feature or just an annoyance? For my money I think cutting that was a huge hit to immersion, and it is really noticeable and makes the game feel cheap. I could have done with a lot less 'stuff'; (chat-like interactions, walk styles, multitasking, emotions, many other 'new' features that just don't add to my enjoyment...) if it meant that sims had to actually physically acquire and interact with items. It adds a lot to my enjoyment, and makes for better story telling/pics.

Comments

• Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I don't mind a bit of it. Like I was never bothered by the shortcuts done in TS3. It does bug me how in TS4 a lot of items Sims are holding simply vanish into hammerspace and reappear due to multitasking...That's the only time it really annoys me though.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    Fair enough @Polyrhythm! I'm not a huge fan of things disappearing into inventories either, although I understand the need for it. Multitasking is such a double edged sword! I like it in many ways, but it also drives me nuts sometimes. :p
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I have to admit that I found it a chore going to buy clothes in TS2, but that was probably because they were so darned expensive and my sims were always so poor - therefore they could never afford new clothes! But going grocery shopping was cool. I loved those booth things where you could buy a phone, a personal stereo or a mobile game thing. And you had to ring for a taxi and then wait for it to turn up! Awesome.

The animations for cooking etc were far better in TS2, where they would get pans out of the units below the countertops, they would open the dishwasher to put things in it rather than having it magically open on its own, they would have messy beds to make etc.

I was always disappointed with the getting into the vehicle action, because it wasn't there in TS3. I guess it was nice for builders not to have to position the driveway somewhere specific, but I would much rather have kept that restriction if EA couldn't work around it. And now they've gone one step further and cut the vehicles themselves. A steady regression. Looking back, I can see that they had begun the cuts with TS3, but somehow it was less noticeable - probably because there were not so many, and the rest of the game was so full.

To me, TS4 feels as though it has had lots of cuts in lots of areas and, as a whole, it makes too much of a difference.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I do wish we could have some sort of shopping center or malls back, I will agree the computer seems like a simple "solve all" object - order this, order that, order books, etc. I think it'd be nice to have dedicated stores where we can go out and pick up items ourselves.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    DaisiesDayDaisiesDay Posts: 913 Member
    I miss all of those little details too. Those details amazed me and really set the Sims apart from other simulation games like "Virtual Families" or "Sims Freeplay." It made me feel that the developers really cared about the players experience in simulating life. Now they don't seem to receive enough time or money to include those little complexities that to me aren't really that little.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I really miss it. It's what screams quality most in TS2 that the depth and detail was there. Opening the cupboards/drawers and things! When I went back after TS3 I noticed all those things and realised how much we lost in transition between the games. Open world was a worthy trade off but to have TS4 with neither is a huge step back for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    Oh wow I'm actually surprised it bugs so many of you, lol! Here I thought maybe I was just being too picky. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that likes to pay close attention to that sort of thing. I think I notice it so much in S4 as well because I like to play slow and really watch my sims because they are so expressive (not always a good thing but that's another matter) and the animations that ARE in game are really nice. Whenever I see the slot popping though it makes me want to play on speed 3 from the furthest zoom out possible!
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    They have simplified the animations due to routing. I love TS2 animations and they are much more real, but because of that they needed a lot more space to do things and they would constantly be stuck and complaining.

So, I think fluidity of the game is a good trade off.

But I absolutely HATE TS4 system of buying everything on the computer. I REALLY hate it.
    I feels so dumb. I don't even need to wait for things to come by mail, they just poof there. Yes, it's practical, but it is also absurd.
    I liked having to buy the groceries in the local market, as I could meet other sims there and buy some other things (like magazines or video games). It was a good and realistic reason to get them out of the house (at least it was a different reason than partying). Also, sometimes my sims had very little money left, so buying food actually mattered, because I had to spend wisely.

Clothes could be kinda expensive in TS2, but I also liked sending my sims tho the store. When they had more money left for the week, I would make them go to the store and buy new clothes. After all, renewing the wardrobe is an investment. My rich sims would have lots of clothes.
    Clothes coming from the void for free is not something I really like in terms of gameplay, but for some people, the customization is more important, so I understand that people like free clothes.

In TS4 I was excited that there was an actual hospital, only to find out that when my sims get sick they don't visit the hospital... like, WHY?? Pregnant sims go to the hospital to deliver, why can't my sims go there to be treated?
    Instead, the buy magical 3D printed medicine in the computer. So getting sick is the shallowest gameplay feature ever, as it is just an annoyance that means nothing. SUPER LAZYYY.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I miss all those details a lot. I could write pages about it but at the end of the day... taking them out has left a big hole in the sims experience.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.