Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I actually really like the art style of the Sims 4

I see a lot of complaints that the design of the Sims 4 is too cartoony, but I think it's a better direction than striving for more realism and heading into uncanny valley territory. I really like the look of the new sims, especially the hair, and the worlds are really beautiful. Anyone else a fan of the design change?

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    it really is preference, I it too, It's what I've been wishing the Sims would someday look like since the sims 2.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,563 Member
    I wasn't fond of it at first, but it has grown on me and now I quite like it.

I do wish the backgrounds weren't fuzzy though and there was a little more detail in certain areas, like the grass. And I also wish they used a higher poly count for certain things to make them look smoother - like the fruit bowl etc, which end up looking more hexagonal.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Kalen615 wrote: »
    I see a lot of complaints that the design of the Sims 4 is too cartoony, but I think it's a better direction than striving for more realism and heading into uncanny valley territory. I really like the look of the new sims, especially the hair, and the worlds are really beautiful. Anyone else a fan of the design change?
    I think it's simple. People who prefer realism in the game complain, people who like the cartoony style don't. Can't help noticing though a lot of simmers have always aimed for more realism in their game when they turn to CC, not less. Which is probably why you see so many complaints. It's a matter of personal preference.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    I do like the look of the game but I'm a cartoon addict the sad thing is that's the only thing I like about the game and appearance alone isn't enough if it had toddlers and open world, no culling, no mo musical chairs, then it would be a great game for me anyway. :)
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I really like it too. A little more shape to furniture object meshes would be nice though, there are a lot of blocky looking things.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I would have liked it more if they actually took more advantage of it.

I think open neighborhoods would have worked fine, physics on hair and clothing would have been great, and CAS could have been way more flexible with the art style, including pushing/pulling on various parts of hair.

I like stylized realism, but at the same time, I think it can be way more in-depth and detailed.
  • Options
    ToastyChanToastyChan Posts: 153 Member
    I really, really disliked the style at first (when I swa the first teasers I really thought they were fake lol), because I just wasn't expecting it after TS3.
    But after a while the style really grew on me and it really fits the games' over the top character better than realistic looking Sims.
    The style itself is really variable though, I mean if you want really cartoony looking sims just give them big heads and eyes and if you're aiming for a more realistic look, stay true to nature.
    After all anything is better than TS3's pudding people lol
    "I've always loved the M35-Mako. It's got a heart, you know?" - James Vega

Simblr: witchybot.tumblr.com
    EA ID: KaKaPeuPeu
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Maybe it's cause I never played the previous ones, but I don't see the strong cartoony vibe that people talk about. I mean, I will admit the facial expressions are a bit over the top, but the art itself is one of the more realistic I recall seeing in modern games. It's not Christopher Nolan Batman kind of realistic, but I think it could pass as Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt kind of realistic.

(Granted, in video games, part of it is just polygons and limitations pertaining to the number you use.)

Gritty/Moody:
    hr_Movie_Stills_17.jpg

Bright and big smiles:
    12186177.jpg
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    ToastyChan wrote: »
    I really, really disliked the style at first (when I swa the first teasers I really thought they were fake lol), because I just wasn't expecting it after TS3.
    But after a while the style really grew on me and it really fits the games' over the top character better than realistic looking Sims.
    The style itself is really variable though, I mean if you want really cartoony looking sims just give them big heads and eyes and if you're aiming for a more realistic look, stay true to nature.
    After all anything is better than TS3's pudding people lol
    No, for me the sims in 4 are a disappointment. I prefer my sims in 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    I like the artstyle overall as well but I wish hair and certain objects had slight movement like in TS2.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Taste is purely subjective and I can't say I'm keen on the look of the Sims in TS4 because to me they look like mannequins out of the 1950s, the type that was used for nuclear tests in the Nevada desert way back when. At the same time I've seen screenshots of the outside area of the game that I think are beautiful and wouldn't hesitate to hang pictures on my wall painted in a similar style.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    I feel like they finally found the right aesthetics that match the direction of the sims franchise. We're all aware of how much the game has changed since the original. If they had continued this franchise and held onto the same spirit that made The Sims great, then I could see them using the Sims from 4, but the detailed objects and build mode items from 3. They got the hair right for sure. I personally don't think sims should be super realistic.

But, now that The Sims 4 is goofy/silly/hip with the chil'rens, the game has to reflect that. Don't get me wrong, though. I love the brightly-colored bubblegum world of 4. BUT, I would also love it if The Sims went back to its roots and pulled from both 3 and 4's graphics/aesthetics, while giving us the gameplay from 2.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I never wanted ultra realism or anything like that but I never wanted cartoony either. I love the brightness of Sims 4, but Sims 3 is actually my favorite look so far, if only they had done the younger sims better.

I think the click and pull feature of Sims 4 CAS makes those sims look better in terms of physical features depending on what you're trying to accomplish in CAS, but the cartoony art style just throws me. Especially when it comes to nature, I much prefer Sims 3's nature. Reading through here though, the fuzzy look and poly count is probably what aids in my dislike of it as well. Some objects, well, they could be better...
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    Artstyle actually reminds me of some Disney preschool shows. The artstyle would be more bearable if the hair and eyelashes didn't look so lumpy. I was actually hoping for a middle ground between the Sims 2 artstyle and the Sims Medieval. I actually liked TS2 artstyle the best personally. The hair movement was pretty cool. TS2 object detail was and still is so amazing looking.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I regret that somehow they never have it completely right where it comes to the sims. Though I do like my own sims in 3 (and some of the sims I see others create), it indeed is hard to get rid of the pudding look, especially when you're not aiming for realism. And the CC skin I recently added to my game definitely improves their looks (it's a skin that's very close to the default look, just slightly better). I don't need photo realism in this game, but I do need realism in features and behaviour. Sims 4 is closer to that concerning features (but destroys it completely with the facial animations) and further from it where it concerns behaviour. Humour is a very personal and delicate matter and somehow I feel the creators and I just don't share the same sense of humour. It's like sitcoms really. One sitcom is spot on for me, the other just misses the mark.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited January 2016
    I think my play style is quite rare in the Sims community, I love realism. That's why I never bought Into The Future for Sims 3, stiff like that just doesn't interest me. I'll occasionally play with Vampires from Late Night but really I don't get much enjoyment from all of the toilet humor or "Disney Junior" graphics in TS4.

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong life sim but there are no others out there. I still love the Sim franchise but it's been testing my patience a while now.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    For me, there's a time to be goofy and a time to be serious. No-one wants to be around people who are goofy ALL the time, and no-one wants to be around people who are serious ALL the time. There's a time and place for everything. In my opinion, it's all about balance but at the moment, being goofy is heavily weighing down the scales.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I am not too much into how it looks graphically but at the same time I do not want it too look like a game made in the 80's. a balance between gameplay and graphics is good for me because I ask myself what is the sense of a game being graphically beautiful and the gameplay lacks besides some players with low to mid end machines could not render beautiful graphics as a computer with high end cards and they would be very unhappy.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen