Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 users update: KB3132372 incompatibility with launcher

cdnittechcdnittech Posts: 17 New Member
Hi Windows 10 users

Microsoft Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372) causes the launcher to crash. uninstall the update and the Sims 3 launcher runs normally

good luck

cdnittech

update sorry forgot to mention applies to 1.67 and 1.69 patches (I haven't tested against the older patches)

update 2: Microsoft has released a new security patch KB3133431 which resolves the issues with KB3132372 released Jan 5-2016
Post edited by cdnittech on

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi, sorry, but a nitwit in the house. How do I uninstall that update..?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    buried

start menu -> settings -> update & Security -> Windows Update -> advanced options -> View your update history -> Uninstall updates
  • Options
    eileenjoaneileenjoan Posts: 49 Member
    cdnittech - Thanks for your advice and the clear instructions on how to carry it out. I am another nitwit and wouldn't have had a clue how to do it without your detailed list. I have just followed them and now been able to play my first game of the year!
  • Options
    srHz86srHz86 Posts: 54 Member
    Thank you SO much, cdn!! Unfortunately for me, I uninstalled the base game + all the expansions so I could reinstall them before seeing this thread. Now I'm stuck with the dreaded patch 1.69 :(
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, I've uninstalled the update and can use my launcher again (and download the Store stuff I had bought). The question is, will the same problem occur when the next update presents itself. We can't continue ignoring Windows 10 updates...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    emccausland1emccausland1 Posts: 68 Member
    omg! i been trying to guess at that issue for a while.. i thought that maybe i was short on memory so i talked my hubby into a late xmas gift lol.. nope.. reformatted the whole pc thinking it was a reg error.. then it happen again and i was like no way... guess i shoulda come here first :sweat: all well at least its a nice clean pc with double the memory now lol
  • Options
    The update is a security patch for flash integrated into Internet Explorer. I'd suggest use any other web browser (eg chrome which has it own integrated flash player) as your default.
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to mention you will also need to disable KB3132372 patch availability from Windows update (per desktop/notebook).

see Microsoft knowlege base: Article ID: 3073930

"How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10"
    h t t p s://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

(remove the spaces between h t t p s)
  • Options
    > @srHz86 said:
    > Thank you SO much, cdn!! Unfortunately for me, I uninstalled the base game + all the expansions so I could reinstall them before seeing this thread. Now I'm stuck with the dreaded patch 1.69 :(

np the 1.69 is identical to 1.67. The only change is to improve integration with Origin and the ability to disable specific expansions.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    cdnittech wrote: »
    np the 1.69 is identical to 1.67. The only change is to improve integration with Origin and the ability to disable specific expansions.
    ...which many players would prefer having a choice in accepting.

True there is no change in gameplay on 1.69, but along the way it also manages to break CAW, CCMagic, and a small number of core mods that are not being updated.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    srHz86srHz86 Posts: 54 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    ...which many players would prefer having a choice in accepting.

True there is no change in gameplay on 1.69, but along the way it also manages to break CAW, CCMagic, and a small number of core mods that are not being updated.

Quite right! Thankfully I stopped being slow for a second and did a system restore which got me back to 1.67. No CAW is a dealbreaker for moi, so bye-bye 1.69.

• Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited January 2016
    EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I must have just been super absent-minded because I do not remember my laptop doing half of these updates :p

Is it safe to click uninstall updates? I'm afraid I'll break something...

My mom and I both had that horrible issue with the windows 10 start menu where we couldn't even sign in/turn it on and I'd feel really bad if uninstalling updates made that happen again and I'm not sure my dad would be as kind to fix it for me a second time.

But I can't even test the world I've spend weeks on now without the launcher.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @cleo00 - It was released on Dec 29, so you were correct there. Also says this in the KB article:

We are aware of limited application crashes that occur after this security update is installed on Windows 10.
    Microsoft is researching this problem with Adobe and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

@cdnittech gives the path above to see if you have this update, how to remove it, and in a later post how to stop it from re-installing itself.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    The update is a security patch for flash integrated into Internet Explorer. I'd suggest use any other web browser (eg chrome which has it own integrated flash player) as your default.
    Oh, ok, that's allright then, I already use Chrome.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @igazor, yeah I found it. I hadn't seen your post when I edited mine last night.

I'm still slightly afraid to click uninstall updates though...Maybe the fact that I spent 2 hours shoveling our driveway today my dad will help me so I don't break anything. :p
    I wonder how come I didn't inherit like any of his computer abilities.

I want to love Windows 10, I really do. But there's just been issue after issue for me so far. :/
  • Options
    @cleo00 - There are of course no guarantees, but I don't think there is much risk in uninstalling an update like that one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ttank1549ttank1549 Posts: 2 New Member
    Help please! I too installed windows 10 and had the same problem with launching my game. I unistalled what was suggested but I still can't launch my game. My latest game is Movies could that be the problem? Thanks all
  • Options

I waited for my dad to get home and he told me it was okay to delete. Deleted it, temporarily prevented it, launcher works fine now.

Yaaaaay!
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I'm running Windows 10 and still having issues with the launcher not loading (Steam or Origin) even after uninstalling that update. I noted in the article quoted in @igazor 's earlier post that an update was released today to patch the issue with Adobe. I'm hoping that it also helps the game work too, I am checking as soon as I get home from work. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3132372 *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm running Windows 10 and still having issues with the launcher not loading (Steam or Origin) even after uninstalling that update. I noted in the article quoted in @igazor 's earlier post that an update was released today to patch the issue with Adobe. I'm hoping that it also helps the game work too, I am checking as soon as I get home from work. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3132372 *fingers crossed*

If your on the1.69 patch you have to check off each ep you want to use in the launcher every time you play.You also cant mix steam and origin

Here is another person having issues steam/origin http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868680/steam-origin-conflict#latest
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    @phoebebebe13 , Thank you for the link. I already am aware about the lovely new feature included in the updated launcher that was kindly provided for us. I can't say I will ever use it but I suppose others may find it a nice feature. I am also aware about how picky Origin and Steam are so I made sure I tried both separately. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall both versions on different occasions (not how I had imagined spending my time off but there you go). I tried launching the games and both versions crash. Right now I just have Origin on my PC and I try to launch the game occasionally and it's crashed each time. So while I wait for my recovery disk to arrive for my newer computer, I am stuck with Windows 10 but hopefully this update that they have provided with remedy what ever the issue is with the game crashing.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 , Thank you for the link. I already am aware about the lovely new feature included in the updated launcher that was kindly provided for us. I can't say I will ever use it but I suppose others may find it a nice feature. I am also aware about how picky Origin and Steam are so I made sure I tried both separately. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall both versions on different occasions (not how I had imagined spending my time off but there you go). I tried launching the games and both versions crash. Right now I just have Origin on my PC and I try to launch the game occasionally and it's crashed each time. So while I wait for my recovery disk to arrive for my newer computer, I am stuck with Windows 10 but hopefully this update that they have provided with remedy what ever the issue is with the game crashing.

I have the old version of the game. I dont need origin so I can stay at 1.67 patch. The people that I have talked to play origin and steam versions of the game on different computers. If you switch your steam version to origin you are stuck with origin. Some computers cant handle windows 10 so if your game ran better on your old OS its better to go back. I have windows 8 and wont upgrade. My son has 10 and I don't like 10
  • Options
    This sent to me by a forum user so I thought I would post this info here

the big Windows 10 update kinda caused some problems with my Intel Graphics. I thought it was only me but I did some searching and found out that other people are having this problem too. I would get the BSOD whenever I open the Intel Graphics Control Panel (thankfully I don't have to do that often anyways). And the driver also crashes on Firefox often that I have to turn off hardware acceleration.
  • Options
    update on the secuity patch, I started a new thread here:

h t t ps://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868948/windows-10-users-microsoft-has-released-a-new-fix-kb3133431-to-resolve-kb3132372#p1

tl;dr

Microsoft has released a new security patch KB3133431 which resolves the issues with KB3132372 released Jan 5-2016