Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All I see is negativity about 'The Sims 4' and 'Get to Work'

HI

So I'm an old simmer, I have been playing it since the age of 4 years old (Oh dear)

Sims 1-

I LOVED painting my whole lots blue with carpet, killing off sims I didn't like, making castles and princesses and I constantly failed at keeping my Sim's needs up. But hey I enjoyed myself, I was young.
IT WAS FUN

Sims 2 -
My sister and I collected EVERY expansion and stuff pack for this one, we knew aaaall the ropes for this game and enjoyed every second of it.
Also, fun.

Sims 3 -
I got no stuff packs for this, as the price went ridiculously high in my country for those, so I instead downloaded free items from the sims store and got the packs that came with all the EP's. I totally enjoyed Sims 3 and (like most people) loved the open world. Wasn't exactly quite right though.. I think its always been the fact the sims could date and get married in a day, or you'd get your sim to steal someones husband, and the ex would STILL be living there..
It was still fun, right!

Now Sims 4 has been out for a year, but I haven't had the chance to try it out..
I've just ordered Sims 4 and Sims 4 Get to Work to get me started.

It can't be that bad can it? I'm looking forward to it, but so many negative reviews are getting me worried.
Do you guys enjoy it?

Comments

• Options
    RealPollyMogsRealPollyMogs Posts: 478 Member
    edited November 2015
    I think you'll have a lot of fun with it if you don't think of it as a Sims game. It's much more goal-oriented than its predecessors. Also, you might want to hold off on installing GTW until you've exhausted everything in the base - "su cked out all the fun", as a friend says.
  • Options
    xoxCandicexoxCandice Posts: 122 Member
    > @RealPollyMogs said:
    > I think you'll have a lot of fun with it if you don't think of it as a Sims game. It's much more goal-oriented than its predecessors. Also, you might want to hold off on installing GTW until you've exhausted everything in the base - "su cked out all the fun", as a friend says.

I was thinking that also.. I've always liked playing the base game alone first, it's always got a nice feel to it - til you get bored..
  • Options
    @RealPollyMogs Have you been playing all the Sims games? As in, all of the series?
  • Options
    Same here, except for TS. I just needed a whole lot more building space than the base game gave us.
  • Options
    xoxCandice wrote: »
    @RealPollyMogs Have you been playing all the Sims games? As in, all of the series?

Yes ma'am. I really disliked TS3, though, so returned to a TS2/Seasons game until TS4 was released.
  • Options
    > @RealPollyMogs said:
    > xoxCandice wrote: »
    >
    > RealPollyMogs Have you been playing all the Sims games? As in, all of the series?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes ma'am. I really disliked TS3, though, so returned to a TS2/Seasons game until TS4 was released.

That's very interesting. What made you dislike TS3?
  • Options
    It was mostly the sims themselves. I hated their look and the aggressive stance they took when walking into a room set my teeth on edge. I really disliked having to force them into a relationship (which is true for this game as well), the broken story progression - larva everywhere! - and the difficulty of installing custom content. The open world was cool, though.

What did you like about it?
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    The base game is flawed but it has some good aspects. The game packs are really well made.

To me GTW is the worst pack released for TS4 so far. And I consider it as one of the worst EPs in the franchise. It is half baked in every thing it offers. I hope it will not make you dislike the base game because when I come across things that GTW added to the game it gets me very angry and disappointed.

As someone else suggested I would recommend if you play the base game for a while before adding GTW.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    The base game is pretty basic but you can build and create sims. GTW is okay, but weak in the actual careers. They are completely over directed with repetitive daily goals and if you ignore the goals and do your own thing you don't get paid. That said, the Scientist career was a lot of fun at first before it turned boring and I did play it through to the final goal of visiting the secret lot. I never really did much with the police career or doctor except make up storyline jokes as the gameplay was just like the Scientist and therefore fairly boring from the get go. However, I like all the new stuff and clothes with it AND I really liked the retail side of the game, although it really isn't as good as Sims 2, it at least gives you some freedom in design and play and I mostly use the pack for that. I hope the telemetryers at EA have made a note about that for the future as I doubt anyone plays the careers for more than one go around.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    xoxCandice wrote: »
    Do you guys enjoy it?

I've played them all too. And yes, I really enjoy this series. The sims are alive again! (something they were not in S3). I absolutely love the ease of building. The devs are going in to a lot of depth with EPs, GPs, and SPs which I am thrilled about!
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I don't think it's bad, but then again I haven't done everything offered in GTW yet. I like running a retail store. It kept a lot of things I liked about Open For Business, and using a tablet to ring up customers eliminates the long lines I used to have in front of registers in The Sims 2. The CAS items are nice, but I have yet to do one of the active careers.

Chances are good you'll find something to love about it once you start playing.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Watch Let's Plays of the base game and then the EPs/GPs.

Also look at SimsVIP website for pictures and details on what the expansion and game/stuff packs bring to the table.

I would look at the base game first, before buying the EP/GPs/SPs stuff.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I've played all of them, and at least half the EPs for each, and I really like Sims 4 -- it's my favourite of the four! -- and this EP. This particular forum has its own vibe; a lot of happy Sims 4 players hang out more on Tumblr or Reddit or Twitter.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sim loveSim love Posts: 517 Member
    There is nothing wrong with TS4 or GTW
    Hypochondriac :p
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    It s ok but GT is better in my opinion. I am glad we got Npc shops and photography. The careers though get old after a while.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited December 2015
    I like ts4 and I think if I would just compare the base game it is an improvement on ts2. Ts3 as you said is not quite a sims game but I do love it ,

As for GTW, I absolutely love OFB in ts2 (I think it is the best EP of the entire sims franchise) so my expectation was quite high .... GTW retail is mediocre but playable . I mainly use the GTW retail system for storytelling purposes rather than gameplay.

Now the active careers... They are fun for 2-3 hours , I now use the careers only as non-active careers and I can't even be bothered to try the doctor career due to the goal-oriented linear gameplay nature. The goal system wouldn't be that bad if there were many different interesting goals . But like the ts4 base game goal system they will bore you to death .

Despite the negative things , I cannot really imagine myself going back to ts2 or ts3 because
    - the build mode is superb in ts4
    - I really like the art style of ts4
    - buy/build items and CAS items are very well designed. Ts4 is the only sim game I play without installing tonnes of CC items
    - The game runs very smoothly compared to ts3
    - I prefer the Stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs model as opposed to overpriced ts3 store

I would however say that GTW is only worth getting on discoun although I preordered it because of the retail , oh well:)