Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone know how to fix the 800x600 resolution option?

caramelsmiles12caramelsmiles12 Posts: 11 New Member
edited December 2015 in The Sims 2
Long story short, I updated my graphics and my computer did another Windows 10 update so when I finally was able to play again and load it I only have the 800x600 option with my smooth edges disabled and I've literally tried fixing the graphicrules.sgr file so many times manually and with the maker program from simsnetwork... I've reinstalled my game hoping that would help even but nope. It's annoying me now since I was completely fine before all the updating happened. :/

Oh and with the graphicsrule.sgr thing I also did fix them all for each expansion pack and that didn't do anything either. >_<

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I used to edit those manually before I found this- http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

It works like a charm for me. :)
  • Options
    Yea I messed with that too already. I don't know what else to do. :/
  • Options
    You messed with it? It should edit your files to recognize your graphics card...

Okay, Did you try this?
    http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/
  • Options
    Sorry wrong word choice. I already tried using it* and yes I did. It did recognize my card and I set the options for screen resolution on the highest but no results. I also ticked disable sim shadows and I clicked no I on the dialog box that popped up after I clicked save files then after that I did go back and click yes on the dialog box to see if that made a difference but no.
  • Options
    Did you see in the Graphics Rules Maker, on the front is the default and Maximum resoultion setting?

If you want to see how the game is set, go to -Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Logs and open the (your computer name)-config-log.txt with Notepad.
    There's the line-
    stringProp activeDeviceDisplayMode 1600x900x32x0
    That's what my laptop is set to in game.

Have you changed it in game? There is the option in Options.
  • Options
    Yes I did see the default max res. I just tried the stringProp and that didn't work either... Yes I did try it in the game the only option I have available is 800x600.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    If you changed it in graphicrules.sgr in both Config and CSConfig folders of

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res

to recognize your card and it still doesn't work, I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else can help. Sorry. :(

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=514610

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Finally fixed the problem! I found out that I needed to make a new windows account on my computer use Sims from there. Thank you so much for helping me too, Rflong7. :)
  • Options
    That's strange but if it works- Yay! :mrgreen: