Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How you run your business

kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
Ok I have been back to playing sims 2 for a few months now and in love all over again. I also have sims 3 but no desire for sims 4. My question is about running a business and how many people you hire and how it affects your income. Example, I play Ramirez and his furniture shop. At first I would send him and Lisa to work with his one hired help all day. They would take turns doing the different jobs, (sales, cashiering, stocking) so they would all get skilled. But then I made his employee manager so I could stay home part of the time. Now it was busy when all three worked together, how does one guy do it all? When I don't go in myself the shop does not make as much. If I hire another person would it help bring in more money assuming that this one guy just can not handle it alone and needs the help? Does it work that way? So how many would you hire and any interesting business info you can give me, please.

Comments

• Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    Running a business is a challenge! :)
    I find having three persons in the shop is a good solution for when the business level is 1 to 3 for each function, then invest in another cashier (the quicker those queues will go down!) and a sales assistant (perhaps adding another two by Level 10). One stock taker is usually enough with another helping from time to time. I appreciate the strategy of assistants being able to do everything; but sometimes it can help improve the business with gold talent badge assistants in the one field. Choose wisely the assistants you take on - charisma skills for sales and mechanical for cashiering. Managers need to have at least two talent badges - I think gold for one of them.
    Although this is a shop and sales are it's bread and butter, have your controllable Sims chat with customers before pushing for those sales. The reputation of the shop should increase more quickly. Your Sims will make more money the higher the level - Level 10 can take a while to achieve. Remember with each level there is a reward - take your time to select the best reward that will help your business. :)
    If you have a flower or toy shop in the future, you will need staff to create these items - select staff with appropriate talent badges.
    Have a neighbour visit your business to check out the shop but you will probably find your Sim is working there!
    Good luck with your game! :)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi :)

I've never had a manager work for me- I know they're supposed to be called for a few hours a day when your Sim stays home; and the amount earned goes down until it hits 0, then your Sim has to go work the Store to earn more money. The amount earned is how the game decides what percent is given each day your Sim calls in.

Something like that...If you want your Sim to run it for awhile you can send the Manager home or reassign them if they start becoming a pain. :)
  • Options
    Thank you both, LadySimPlayers8 - you gave me good info about the skill and more. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    Yeah, the first and only time my Sims tried to open their own business, it didn't work out so well lol. I might try again though.
  • Options
    I love running business and have for the moist part done well. But never understood it completely and wondered how others did it. I love the sims 2
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    When I played running a flower shop for the first time, I didn't know how to set prices - thankfully The Sims2 UK forum helped me!

My first customer was a Burglar!
    snapshot_f5c83813_15f14582.jpg
  • Options
    Gilbert married Florence and they opened a flower and candy shop. Never put those two together before.
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    I used to like running the business from the Sim's home.

I'd have a small shop next to the house and make sure that the doors to the home were locked :)

Selling stuff from buy mode was a lot easier than making toys and bouquets and it would sell out surprisingly quickly, even the expensive stuff. It didn't take that long to re-stock, either.

I used to put a ticket machine, set to low, outside the shop so customers would have to pay for the privilege of being on the premises. I had a couple of outdoor loos, and snack vending machines next to benches. You have to make sure you put bins near those because some Sims are messy. You need to be sure to look for any stray wrappers or customers complain.

Your customers can spend hours on the lot if they've got 'facilities' - a chess table keeps them around, too.

You can put your family to work in the shop without the need of hiring staff, who I always found to be a pain. If you add a couple of cats to the family they always approach the customers for hugs and your star ratings can go up big-time :)
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    thanks ratsrbest - I do have business on home lots like the one I mentioned above with Gilbert and Florence. I put a ticket machine on Tinker's property but no one would by any toys or stay around long at all. But I did not have anything to keep them around ether. So I stopped the ticket machine and every started buying like crazy. I guess it is like any real life business, you never know what is going to work and for who. Lol
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It's best to only use the ticket machine for Venues like Clubs and Gyms and skating rinks. I believe they don't like to pay the ticket machine while they shop. :)