Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error After Getting Home From Graduation

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to playing the Sims 3 but I've gotten pretty attached to my sims lol. Anyhow, I have a full household and I sent three of them to University. I didn't encounter any errors during my time there, apart from being unable to control one of the sims, which was fixed by reloading the game. The graduation and going to class and inviting people and all that stuff had nothing wrong going on. But once my sims got home, my entire household was gone. They weren't in the panels and I couldn't control anybody. One of the sims from uni was nearby but the other two were nowhere to be found. When I made a copy of this they weren't even in the main menu. I checked the household and the time was moving but all of my sims were frozen. Also other things that seemed off was the Mood Meter wasn't coloured green, it became light blue even though it was nearly full. I couldn't go to the inventory and everything. My sister had no problems when she went to University and she also has a full household and only sent four of them. We have custom content and we've only just installed Seasons (while my sims were in uni). We dont have any mods but we use in game cheats during our game. What could've caused this and is there a way I could fix it without the use of mods? I don't really want to leave my sims I've worked a lot on getting them to that level they are in and had lots of memories with each other. Thank you so much

Comments

• Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    If you're not averse to playing with Mods, you should download the Nraas Overwatch mod. I have this mod which basically just cleans up the town etc and I've never had a problem with travel to or from uni or from travel locations. There is a known issue with travelling in the Sims 3 which sadly won't be fixed as they've moved onto the Sims 4, but most Nraas mods can help you with most in-game issues. You don't have to download the big ones (Story Progression/Master Controller, etc), just smaller ones like Overwatch can solve loads of problems.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    I'd also recommend NRaas's Traveler, which helps keep traveling safe for Simmies.
  • Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    Try resetting the sims.

Go into your sims game
    Push shift + ctrl + alt on your keyboard at the same time
    Type in "testingcheatsenabled on" (without quotation marks) and hit enter
    Type in "resetSim *first name* *last name*" (without quotation marks and star thingies)

Hope this helps! I've never had a problem like this before, but resetting the sims usually works.
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    Unless someone can correct me, I don't think the resetsim cheat works for this particular issue. You can try resetting, but if it doesn't work, revert to a save before they left university, install Overwatch (you can install Traveller to as above) and try getting them home again.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    "I checked the household and the time was moving but all of my sims were frozen." --- frozen (stalled) sims usually happens when the computer system runs out of RAM (random access memory).

" But once my sims got home, my entire household was gone. They weren't in the panels and I couldn't control anybody. One of the sims from uni was nearby but the other two were nowhere to be found." --- If you had a full household with progression turned on, the household may have had changes that didn't leave room for the returning sims. Also, some of your sims may have been culled.

"Also other things that seemed off was the Mood Meter wasn't coloured green, it became light blue even though it was nearly full." --- I have never seen a blue mood meter. I wonder if that sim was frozen from the cold of winter and needs to be thawed with a blow dryer.

• Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    Do you have any mods installed? I don't know much about mods (I've never used them for Sims 3 but I have for other video games) but I know some can really corrupt your game.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    The grand Triple Play for travel, including to/from Uni World, are NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap. My sims never leave home without them.

The OP has stated that they do not want to use mods. There is no fix for this kind of thing without them I'm afraid, other than reverting to a prior save if one is available and trying again.
    Do you have any mods installed? I don't know much about mods (I've never used them for Sims 3 but I have for other video games) but I know some can really corrupt your game.
    The particular mods being discussed and suggested on this thread are safe and have helped thousands of players keep their games going by correcting numerous glitches in the game and especially its trouble-prone travel mechanism.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Wolves_WeirdmaggedonWolves_Weirdmaggedon Posts: 18 New Member
    edited December 2015
    @Arminsoceaneyes "once my sims got home, my entire household was gone. They weren't in the panels and I couldn't control anybody. When I made a copy of this they weren't even in the main menu. I checked the household and the time was moving but all of my sims were frozen. Also other things that seemed off was the Mood Meter wasn't coloured green, it became light blue even though it was nearly full. I couldn't go to the inventory and everything." I have had this exact same problem. I tried my best, but I couldn't fix it... It's so annoying! It's sad but strangely relieving to discover I'm not the only one that has suffered with this issue. I suggest just attempting everything being suggested, as I would not have done so seeing as it happened to me a while back.