Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does "texting" do in Sims 4?

I'm just curious if "texting" each other in the game have any effects or secret things I should know about? As far as I know, it does nothing in my game...

Comments

• Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    In my game it increases their friendship and helps maintain friendships.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    It can give your sim a confident buff.
  • Options
    seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    Really? I'll have to look into that. Maybe I'm just impatient to observe haha! Thanks guys!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,438 Member
    In my game it doesn't do anything. The relationship doesn't increase but I have to admit I haven't done it in a while maybe it was updated in a patch.
  • Options
    seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    @catloverplayer, it's exactly the same for me. I thought I was the only one. But I just tried it a few seconds ago, it did boost my confidence for one of Sims. So there is some effect of texting :)
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Im pretty sure it does actually increase the relationship. Plus its just fun to have my sims text sometimes. Feels more real to have sims send texts to each other. Its great for roleplay.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,438 Member
    @catloverplayer, it's exactly the same for me. I thought I was the only one. But I just tried it a few seconds ago, it did boost my confidence for one of Sims. So there is some effect of texting :)

It's unfortuanate that texting or talking on the pc and phone doesn't increase relationship.
  • Options
    thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member

It's unfortuanate that texting or talking on the pc and phone doesn't increase relationship.

Texting and talking on the phone don't work for me (if they do, it's so small that I don't notice), but talking on the computer works wonders for me.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

Texting and talking on the phone has never increased the status bar in my game, not that I have noticed at least. The PC however does. It will only go so far though. Once it gets to about the middle it stops increasing their friendship status. It don't start to increase it again unless it falls down below the halfway point.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Texting does increase relationship and it boost the social bar.. A least in my game. :/

I just tested this with an "acquaintance". The relationship bar was blank until I had my sim send that sim a text. The bar then showed up with a slight boost of green. For a brief moment you can catch a little social icon that appears immediately after the text. They get no benefit if the social bar is already maxed out.

22859883993_656a65cd70_o.png
    23119053299_cfb662434d_b.jpg
    23487038145_5eb1243087_b.jpg
    (very small boost)
    23460901236_df961905bf_o.png

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    If I set someone up to text about six people in a row I think it shows a slight increase to the social bar.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    It's very helpful if you just want a quick boost so you don't lose that friend. Kind of like IRL.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited December 2015
    There is a slight increase in a relationship and some might underestimate text but dont. I will tell you why.

When your sims social need is in the red at midnight you can always send a text to another sim. If you call them they will get annoyed and the relationship decreases. but sending a text does not have that effect. Try sending the same sim 3 -4 texts at the same time. You would see a nice increase in their relationship

of course you can use the chat on PC option but that is more time consuming and the sim you want to have an increase in friendship with might not be online.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I think a text increases it by like... 5% friendship. But I am not 100% sure. It has been enough to delay a drop for a short time.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I usually have my sim text a friend for story-line purposes after something exciting happens.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I don't text much in my game. Guess I'm old school and prefer the telephone and computer.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Klassickicks22Klassickicks22 Posts: 179 Member
    My sims got text messages sent to them from other sims a few times kinda like in the Get Together trailer. I really like the UI I wish the sims would text more often.
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    Texting is also nicely multi-tasky. :) I may be wrong about this but - can't sims text on the toilet? :D
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    Klassickicks22Klassickicks22 Posts: 179 Member
    Yes and they can talk and play games on the toilet too!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    Texting is also nicely multi-tasky. :) I may be wrong about this but - can't sims text on the toilet? :D
    I think they can text in the bathtub too.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,742 Member
    I could be very wrong about this, but I think texting can help keep your Sim in touch with their friends, so that they don't easily lose said friendship.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/