Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Still enjoying Sims 3 :) and a comment about the new launcher

I enjoy playing Sims 3 quite a bit! I also still play Sims 2 and Sims 4. I would play the original Sims series if I could get it to run on my computer, but it hasn't since I replaced the hard drive a few months ago. I miss it.
I opened Origin to play Sims 3 last night and had the surprise of the update. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was updating and left my mods in place. Big mistake! I tossed my Sims 3 folder when it was obvious there was a problem (game wouldn't open after the first time) and everything seems to have straightened out. Just ONE little thing bothering me now! Quite frequently, I have to go back and tell the launcher, again, that I want to use all the stuff packs and expansions! So far, I have had to fix this five times. I'm ready to pull my hair out and start kicking and screaming. . . Not something a near 60 year old woman should be doing. LOL Tonight I will finish installing all my downloads, my saved Sims and everything else I've been using for years. Tomorrow, I plan to spend a couple hours playing Sims 3 once again.
I just hope I remember to tell that forgetful launcher that I have all the stuff packs and expansions and want to use them. I really don't need my saves messed up by having the launcher forget!
Is this how it was supposed to work? Will it stop forgetting after a while? Am I going to have to set it for which expansions and stuff packs I want to use every time I want to play? Yeah, I know I could just go play Sims 4, but since I haven't figured out how to save my game in such a way that I don't lose everything if my computer crashes, I don't play it as much as I do Sims 2 or 3.

Comments

• Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    Probably not I have the updated version on my backup PC so far I've reloaded 20 times and it only remembered once :|
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    hummingbird41556hummingbird41556 Posts: 923 Member
    You realize, that is NOT what I wanted to hear! LOL There has to be a way to make it remember! Oh well, I just might make use of it since my favorite family was created in base game. . . I could literally play them through every expansion and stuff pack this way. Could be fun. LOL
  • Options
    Just make sure when you play with save's that have certain EP's and SP's used to have those checked on when you load those saves up modders have known for a long time that playing existing saves that have say World Adventures and if you play that save without it causes the game to bounce really hard if the EP is not longer there
  • Options
    Yeah, I know. This is why this whole new launcher makes zero sense to me. LOL It creates a potential disaster if we forget to double check the settings before starting the game.
  • Options
    I know and the worst thing is there are alot of that people don't know what could happen if they forget to double check it :|
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Hmm, haven't had the launcher mess up yet but then I suppose there is always a first time, I have been playing all weekend just for a switch from 4 and it's been fine, I had more problems fixing the lag on Isla Paradiso. I only have around 5 eps tho so maybe that is why I haven't had problems.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Reports indicate that clearing the game folder's cache files before launch causes the Launcher to forget which EPs you last had checked off.

I can't verify this myself or try to figure out which of the 4-5 cache files might be holding the data because, although Patch 1.69 and I have heard of each other from a distance, we've never been been formally introduced in person. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Decided to test if clearing cache would remove the eps from memory, blew away the 5 cache files in my sims 3 directory as well as the world cache files and started the game. All eps were still checked so this does not seem to be an issue. I see two option files as well as a number of other config files, so maybe those keep track of the eps that have been checked?
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    Not sure what makes it forget. I do my nightly maintenance on my computer (I just clear the browser cache and run defragmenting program). When I come back the next time to play, all my expansions and stuff packs are unchecked, again. I just take a minute to recheck them.
    Right now I'm having issues with mods. I've redownloaded and reinstalled the framework folder. I'm going to add my mods back in one at a time, starting with the one I use most. . . Master Controller! I actually do not clear caches from my game. I just finished reinstalling all my store stuff, and even added my own creations back to my game. I'm once again playing Shandra Summers and her family. I wonder what she'll get into this time? She usually outlives all her children because she knows Ambrosia, and doesn't share the knowledge. But right now she's a child with her inventer dad and gold digging, child hating mother. . . LOL