Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alphabet Challenge

nikki324nikki324 Posts: 72 Member
Hi all! I've just come up with a new challenge that I've been trying out and having a lot of fun with so I thought that I would share it. I have some ideas for a point system to make it somewhat competitive but its definitely not all ironed out yet so for now I'll just lay out the basics:

The general idea is to adopt a child for every letter of the alphabet. So you get one sim to start out with that will be your 'Orphanage Starter.' Your starter will not be able to have a career where they have to leave the house so I suggest you give them traits that will allow them to generate income from home and an aspiration that doesn't require them to advance in any careers.

When adopting the children you are only allowed to adopt infants. You also cannot change the names of the babies you adopt (this is part of what makes this a 'challenge')

You have to raise the babies all the way through to young adulthood. As soon as they reach young adult status you are allowed to move them out. You must use a random trait generator in order to choose the traits and aspirations for the kids. Since they do not have two parents I use the random trait generator at createarandomsim.com

I have been playing mine on normal lifespan and therefore I probably will not get all 26 in the first generation. I haven't decided how to choose which child becomes the next orphanage leader whether it should be the last child that was adopted or if you could choose from all the kids you have in the house once the orphanage starter dies.

The point system I was thinking of so far goes as follows:

-10 points for each generation beyond the first
-10 points for kid taken by social worker

Childhood (per child)
+1 point for each stage of childhood aspiration complete
+5 points for completing childhood aspiration
+1 point for A grade

Teen
+1 point for A grade
+1 point for max teen career
+1 point for each stage of lifetime aspiration complete

Orphanage Owner (1 per generation)
+1 for every point maxed out
+5 for lifetime aspiration achieved

Again, like I said the point system is far from set in stone and is definitely open to suggestion.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has any questions or suggestions.
Post edited by nikki324 on

Comments

• Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    Hello @Nikki324
    The general idea is to adopt a child for every letter of the alphabet.
    When adopting the children you are only allowed to adopt infants. You also cannot change the names of the babies you adopt (this is part of what makes this a 'challenge')
    So if there are no infants available with a name you are looking for can you cancel and retry?
    Do they need to be in alphabetical order? I would think the more unusual names would be hard to find.
    How often can you adopt?
    Do you need to wait to age up the Babies?
    What cheats ... if any are allowed?
    Can money cheats be used to set up the Orphanage?
    I haven't decided how to choose which child becomes the next orphanage leader whether it should be the last child that was adopted or if you could choose from all the kids you have in the house once the orphanage starter dies.
    Hmmmm Maybe choose the Teen with the most progress to take over. I say Teen because you have said the Young Adult Sims can be moved out. Unless there is a Young Adult present when the current Orphanage head dies.

I can see this as having potential.
    Please keep us posted on your testing progress and revisions. :+1:
  • Options
    Hi @EuphorialQueen ! Thanks for your interest! Below are the answers to your questions:

So if there are no infants available with a name you are looking for can you cancel and retry?
    You can cancel and retry but I don't think that it creates all new children so you may need to wait a couple days for those babies to grow up to get a new batch with different letter names (part of the challenge)

Do they need to be in alphabetical order? I would think the more unusual names would be hard to find.
    They do not have to be in alphabetical order - not the way I'm playing right now anyway. I suppose you could do an 'extreme version' where it would have to be but that would be tough, Right now I have a spreadsheet to keep track of the baby names.

How often can you adopt?
    As often as you are able to! It costs $1,000 to adopt and obviously you are only able to have 8 people total in a household so that limits how often you can adopt in itself.

Do you need to wait to age up the Babies?
    Yes I have been waiting until they age up on their own.

What cheats ... if any are allowed?
    No cheats unless they are to fix a glitch.

Can money cheats be used to set up the Orphanage?
    No money cheats either.

I am also leaning towards being able to choose from the teens in your house so you are not stuck with a sim that hates children or something equally miserable.
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @Nikki324 Thank you for addressing my questions in a timely manner. That shows me you are sincere in creating a great challenge for many players to enjoy. :)
    I am also leaning towards being able to choose from the teens in your house so you are not stuck with a sim that hates children or something equally miserable.
    The 'Hates Children' or Squeamish' traits could add another level of *cough* Evil *cough* difficulty to the challenge.
    {Yes ... I can be wicked ... Mwahahahaha}
    :naughty:
  • Options
    Haha yes that would be terrible. My orphanage starter just turned into an elder so I will have to make that decision very soon.
  • Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited November 2015
    Sounds like a cool challenge. =) This page is now bookmarked! With the points system, is +however many points or -however many points? Is the -just a bullet point? Anyway, like I said, this sounds cool because I don't have to play it for 10 generations, because, knowing me, I would probably get board before then. (Nothing to do with the challenge - I just have a short attention span!) Would we post our points totals here on this thread?
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    WeathieWeathie Posts: 486 Member
    I like the sounds of this, sounds like an interesting challenge! I like that it's pretty much random and that you have less control over traits, looks and names. Good idea!
    untitled-1.png

• Options
    @Spottydog714 I just edited the post to be a little clearer on the point system I've been playing by so now the - actually means minus rather than just a bullet point. It's still definitely open to change if you have an ideas though.

And I definitely feel you on the getting bored quickly thing. That was one of the reasons I came up with this one. I would always start the 100 baby challenge or the legacy challenge and get halfway through (usually not even halfway) and get bored. So I was hoping keeping this (somewhat) short and simple would hold my attention better.

@Weathie Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Definitely let me know if you try it and what you think.
  • Options
    nikki324 wrote: »
    @Spottydog714 I just edited the post to be a little clearer on the point system I've been playing by so now the - actually means minus rather than just a bullet point. It's still definitely open to change if you have an ideas though.

And I definitely feel you on the getting bored quickly thing. That was one of the reasons I came up with this one. I would always start the 100 baby challenge or the legacy challenge and get halfway through (usually not even halfway) and get bored. So I was hoping keeping this (somewhat) short and simple would hold my attention better.

@nikki324 Awesome! I'll go start now!
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    @Spottydog714 Great! Let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    I've updated the points system to include -10 points if any baby is taken by a social worker and a point system for the orphanage owners.

Also, here's an update of where I'm at in my challenge:

My orphanage starter died and I have 7 teens in my household (of which the oldest 2 are about to age up). I've decided that you will be able to choose the next orphanage owner from the kids in your house at the time of the death of the previous orphanage owner. Here are the teens that I have to choose from to carry on:

Liana - Creatively gifted, Hot headed, Good with Computer Whiz Aspiration
    Nikolai - Physically gifted, self assured, cheerful with successful lineage aspiration
    Poppy - Physically gifted, loves outdoors, jealous with Curator aspiration
    Rosemary - Mentally gifted, squeamish, bookworm with Friend of the world aspiration
    Malakai - Glutton and materialistic with serial romantic aspiration
    Valentina - Physically gifted, outgoing, self assured with Painter extroardinaire aspiration
    Aniyah - squeamish, snob with musical genius aspiration

I think I've narrowed it down to either Poppy or Malakai since I think I could actually complete their aspirations. Right now I'm actually leaning towards Malakai even though his traits are pretty terrible because I've been having fun with his lifetime aspiration goals. So unless he rolls the 'Hates Children' trait when he ages up to an adult I'll probably go with him.

Let me know how yours is going if you've started!
  • Options
    Just started - I'm loving it already! Can I post pics here and can my Orphanage starter leave the home to go fishing?
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I apologize for the late response. I was travelling for the holidays. He can leave the house but he'll have to take all of the kids along with him (if they're home). And yes please post pictures. I'm not good about remembering to take them but I'd love to see yours!

Glad you're enjoying it! I'm a bit stuck right now in generation 2. The letters I have left are F, I, O, Q, U, X and Y but I can't seem to get them. Hopefully soon!
  • Options
    @nikki324 I really loved this challenge, so I'm starting a story of it on my blog. I thought you might like to know, seeing as it was your challenge, and since I really loved it!

=)<3

My blog:

https://spottydog714.wordpress.com/the-home-for-small-ones/
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    That's great @Spottydog714 but when I went to your blog all I could see was the first page kind of describing the challenge. Is there a link to the story that I'm missing somewhere? I'd love to read it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    nikki324 wrote: »
    That's great @Spottydog714 but when I went to your blog all I could see was the first page kind of describing the challenge. Is there a link to the story that I'm missing somewhere? I'd love to read it.

@nikki324

I'm doing the first update after just Christmas at the latest, but I'll comment a link here when it has been updated, I've been/will be very busy. Sorry to give you the wrong end of the stick. I thought you would like to know without thinking it through that you would be confused because it hasn't started yet, so sorry again

=)

Edit: How is your challenge going? Who is your Orphanage Owner? Which letters do you have left?
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @nikki324 Sorry I forgot to tag you sooner. The episode list is up : HERE
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    raemariekraemariek Posts: 88 Member
    Definitely adding this challenge to my list! Thanks!!