Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I play TS2 again??

rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
Hello <3
I'm having a bit of an internal debate as to whether or not I should play this game again. I only own the base game (and honestly I'm surprised it is working since I bought it for almost nothing. The box didn't make it, though)
I've been sitting in front of the screen, my disc drive open, wondering if I should play.
I remember how hard it was to keep sims alive, how fast those mood bars went down and how bland most of the stuff looked. But I also remember the exciting career popups, the really fast save times and those wonderful cutscenes.
WHAT DO I DO?!

Comments

• Options
    sawgrass770sawgrass770 Posts: 258 Member
    Perhaps start by checking with Mod The Sims and see if their TS2 downloads still include Merola64's "Energizer Painting". I think it was originally modded for a different site, but I saw it on MTS too. I cannot remember if that painting (a 3-tile landscape, about 600 simoleans I think) was part of the base game. If it was, then experiment with downloading and adding it to one of your households. Each of the three sections has some specific things you can do. The one that you could probably appreciate the most is the Needs section of the painting, where it's possible to max, medium, or drain all or one need for all in the household, all on the lot, or just the active sim. I still use this to enable quality sim family time, where I can set the whole family to medium hunger so they'll sit together for a meal, or maybe set the kids energy to medium so they will all get to bed at a reasonable time on a school night. ;)

I hope you can get your TS2 game enjoyable again. It's a nice trip down memory lane and very calming at the end of a hectic rl day. Good luck.
  • Options
    Perhaps start by checking with Mod The Sims and see if their TS2 downloads still include Merola64's "Energizer Painting". I think it was originally modded for a different site, but I saw it on MTS too. I cannot remember if that painting (a 3-tile landscape, about 600 simoleans I think) was part of the base game. If it was, then experiment with downloading and adding it to one of your households. Each of the three sections has some specific things you can do. The one that you could probably appreciate the most is the Needs section of the painting, where it's possible to max, medium, or drain all or one need for all in the household, all on the lot, or just the active sim. I still use this to enable quality sim family time, where I can set the whole family to medium hunger so they'll sit together for a meal, or maybe set the kids energy to medium so they will all get to bed at a reasonable time on a school night. ;)

I hope you can get your TS2 game enjoyable again. It's a nice trip down memory lane and very calming at the end of a hectic rl day. Good luck.

But it just feels like cheating...
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    Yes! You should play it. In fact, you might even be able to get the UC from EA since you own the base game. The UC is The Sims 2 base game plus ALL the expansions and stuff packs from Sims 2. Believe me, it makes a big difference. :)
    I'm actually going to play two new Sims I made a few days ago. Their names are Caleb and Katelyn. They are currently at La Fiesta Tech university. Katelyn's a bio major and Caleb is a political science major.

And it's not really cheating to use CC or mods. I actually got a few awesome cars from Fresh Prince creations since Sims 2 only has 5 cars altogether.
  • Options
    Yes! You should play it. In fact, you might even be able to get the UC from EA since you own the base game. The UC is The Sims 2 base game plus ALL the expansions and stuff packs from Sims 2. Believe me, it makes a big difference. :)
    I'm actually going to play two new Sims I made a few days ago. Their names are Caleb and Katelyn. They are currently at La Fiesta Tech university. Katelyn's a bio major and Caleb is a political science major.

And it's not really cheating to use CC or mods. I actually got a few awesome cars from Fresh Prince creations since Sims 2 only has 5 cars altogether.

CC is fine in my books, but downloading things to make the game easier feels like cheating (making the game harder is fine- not that I think it's possible to make this game harder)

I have memories of playing the sims 2. Thinking back, all I ever seemed to do was focus hard on keeping all my sims' need bars in the green... I would mod it or boolprop it, but then it wouldn't be the same...
  • Options
    NerdySims99NerdySims99 Posts: 150 Member
    edited September 2015
    Taking care of sims in TS2 can be tricky if you haven't played for awhile (or if you're new to it) but it's not nearly as bad as keeping your sims alive and happy like it is in TS1. There are plenty of tips and tricks though for keeping your sims' needs up, and a lot of it is just through practice. They made a prima guide for TS2 and it is extremely helpful for people that have trouble with keeping their sims happy (along with other things). :smile:
    "You've gotta be stirring my pasta."
  • Options
    Taking care of sims in TS2 can be tricky if you haven't played for awhile (or if you're new to it) but it's not nearly as bad as keeping your sims alive and happy like it is in TS1. There are plenty of tips and tricks though for keeping your sims' needs up, and a lot of it is just through practice. They made a prima guide for TS2 and it is extremely helpful for people that have trouble with keeping their sims happy (along with other things). :smile:

I've noticed that they are happier if I leave them be...
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    I would definitely restart the sims 2 as it is super fun.

First off, I'd contact EA's Customer Service under Help at the bottom of the page so you can get the Ultimate Collection for free. Just give them proof that you have the base game (usually a cd key) and they will eventually give it to you. Having all the expansion does make a big difference in fun (although it doesn't save as fast as it will with just the base game).

You can get some great fixes/mods that stop annoying behavior at more awesome than you (it's free), once you have played the game for a bit.
    Modthesims has great custom content, and cyjon.net also has some good fixes for the game.

Hope this helps
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    I would definitely restart the sims 2 as it is super fun.

First off, I'd contact EA's Customer Service under Help at the bottom of the page so you can get the Ultimate Collection for free. Just give them proof that you have the base game (usually a cd key) and they will eventually give it to you. Having all the expansion does make a big difference in fun (although it doesn't save as fast as it will with just the base game).

You can get some great fixes/mods that stop annoying behavior at more awesome than you (it's free), once you have played the game for a bit.
    Modthesims has great custom content, and cyjon.net also has some good fixes for the game.

Hope this helps

:*
    EA's customer service... Is that any good?
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    rosey1579 wrote: »
    Hello <3
    I'm having a bit of an internal debate as to whether or not I should play this game again. I only own the base game (and honestly I'm surprised it is working since I bought it for almost nothing. The box didn't make it, though)
    I've been sitting in front of the screen, my disc drive open, wondering if I should play.
    I remember how hard it was to keep sims alive, how fast those mood bars went down and how bland most of the stuff looked. But I also remember the exciting career popups, the really fast save times and those wonderful cutscenes.
    WHAT DO I DO?!

Only play if you want to have fun. There is still a ton of beautiful custom content that makes the game look so beautiful and a lot of mods to make it play exactly like you want to play it.

I have been playing again every day and having a lot of fun. I playing very differently than I used to play and it really is a lot of fun when you change things up.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Warning: it's extremely addictive. I have clocked 12 hours in just 2 days. LOL!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »

Oh that's for sure! I woke up and fired up my game the other day and didn't quit until 8 hours later. I was floored that so much time had gone by and I didn't even notice. So you might want to put on an alarm clock so you don't get lost in that game. It really is the best Sims game they ever made, IMO.

• Options

I'm sure we can get you into a rehab group somewhere...
    windweaver wrote: »
    Hello <3
    WHAT DO I DO?!

Only play if you want to have fun. There is still a ton of beautiful custom content that makes the game look so beautiful and a lot of mods to make it play exactly like you want to play it.

I have been playing again every day and having a lot of fun. I playing very differently than I used to play and it really is a lot of fun when you change things up.

Change Things Up? Sounds like a plan...
    How does that work?
  • Options

Hello <3
    WHAT DO I DO?!

How does that work?

Ok, what I used to do, was to play the same sims over and over. I didn't let them die, I would have them do the same things and live the same lives they did the first time I ever played the game. I had lost that original computer, so lost my game that was on that computer. I loved those first sims and just kept trying to recreate them, of course the game is different each time you play, so I was always frustrated.

Now I'm trying a legacy (modified b/c I can't stand being told how to play, lol) and I'm on the 3rd generation. Usually, I could play for 4 generations, but got bored with the same family so quit.

Now I started a second family and moved them in next doors to my legacy family. I had heard you couldn't start more than 2 generations in CAS so I never tried. Today I created 3 generations in CAS and that was the family I moved in next doors to the legacy.

So, I'm ignoring all the things I heard or read you couldn't do and I'm finding that, yes indeed you can do some things that others said you can't. So now it's like it's new again.

• Options
    SimluvurSimluvur Posts: 17 Member
    > @rosey1579 said:
    > Hello <3
    > I'm having a bit of an internal debate as to whether or not I should play this game again. I only own the base game (and honestly I'm surprised it is working since I bought it for almost nothing. The box didn't make it, though)
    > I've been sitting in front of the screen, my disc drive open, wondering if I should play.
    > I remember how hard it was to keep sims alive, how fast those mood bars went down and how bland most of the stuff looked. But I also remember the exciting career popups, the really fast save times and those wonderful cutscenes.
    > WHAT DO I DO?!

Yes, I know I'm like way behind in reply though..I forgot I was like on here. What got me back on here was a link about a challenge I just found and that I'm going to try! Anyway. Yes, I'd get back into The Sims 2 again. I am, I am working on like 5 or 6 legacy's. I like challenges what can I say...keeps my mind busy. I also only have The Base game..kind of The Sims Double Deluxe which game with Nightlife, and Celebration Stuff. I only have The base game installed I mean. (Keeping all other expansions out for now even though I have them) After all I am only on a laptop...even though having expansions installed wasn't a problem I'm being careful with my laptop. All in all (Apologize for the paragraph!) my answer is Yes..play The Sims 2 again - and yeah, check out Mod The Sims.
  • Options

Hello <3
    WHAT DO I DO?!

How does that work?

Ok, what I used to do, was to play the same sims over and over. I didn't let them die, I would have them do the same things and live the same lives they did the first time I ever played the game. I had lost that original computer, so lost my game that was on that computer. I loved those first sims and just kept trying to recreate them, of course the game is different each time you play, so I was always frustrated.

Now I'm trying a legacy (modified b/c I can't stand being told how to play, lol) and I'm on the 3rd generation. Usually, I could play for 4 generations, but got bored with the same family so quit.

Now I started a second family and moved them in next doors to my legacy family. I had heard you couldn't start more than 2 generations in CAS so I never tried. Today I created 3 generations in CAS and that was the family I moved in next doors to the legacy.

So, I'm ignoring all the things I heard or read you couldn't do and I'm finding that, yes indeed you can do some things that others said you can't. So now it's like it's new again.

A legacy challenge? In TS2?
    Wow...
    I'm impressed.
    Respect.
    Simluvur wrote: »
    > @rosey1579 said:
    > Hello I'm having a bit of an internal debate as to whether or not I should play this game again. I only own the base game (and honestly I'm surprised it is working since I bought it for almost nothing. The box didn't make it, though)
    > I've been sitting in front of the screen, my disc drive open, wondering if I should play.
    > I remember how hard it was to keep sims alive, how fast those mood bars went down and how bland most of the stuff looked. But I also remember the exciting career popups, the really fast save times and those wonderful cutscenes.
    > WHAT DO I DO?!

Yes, I know I'm like way behind in reply though..I forgot I was like on here. What got me back on here was a link about a challenge I just found and that I'm going to try! Anyway. Yes, I'd get back into The Sims 2 again. I am, I am working on like 5 or 6 legacy's. I like challenges what can I say...keeps my mind busy. I also only have The Base game..kind of The Sims Double Deluxe which game with Nightlife, and Celebration Stuff. I only have The base game installed I mean. (Keeping all other expansions out for now even though I have them) After all I am only on a laptop...even though having expansions installed wasn't a problem I'm being careful with my laptop. All in all (Apologize for the paragraph!) my answer is Yes..play The Sims 2 again - and yeah, check out Mod The Sims.

It sounds like I need a challenge...
    Or a huge wad of custom content...
    For it to be awesome!

Sorta like Skyrim...
    Yep. I went there. I made the comparison.
  • Options
    Just realized that I lost my product code.
    At least I have it installed already.
    I might have found the code via regedit, but Origin definitely doesn't recognize it... I guess buying a game second hand has its issues...
    No UC for me.
    :'(
  • Options
    cord7cord7 Posts: 29 Member
    edited September 2015
    I've heard pictures can also work as proof
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    If you had OFB I'd recommend snapdragons, but with just the base just use "maxmotives."
  • Options
    cord7 wrote: »
    I've heard pictures can also work as proof

Alright. I'll just take photographs of the coffee-stained box that is likely a survivor of the Holocaust. I'm sure they won't notice it's second hand and probably registered already. But still, maybe I will. Maybe I'll just photograph the discs. Those aren't so bad. :)
    Still scared of customer support though.
    :/
  • Options
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    If you had OFB I'd recommend snapdragons, but with just the base just use "maxmotives."

maxmotives was introduced with Nightlife, it will not work with the base game, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Hello <3
    WHAT DO I DO?!

Call EA and register your game if you haven't already (if you have registered it call them and let them know). Get Sims 2 UC for free! Then play play play and then play some more. TS2 is timeless, and you'll be opening up a whole new game with UC. :smiley:
  • Options
    Hello <3
    WHAT DO I DO?!

Call EA and register your game if you haven't already (if you have registered it call them and let them know). Get Sims 2 UC for free! Then play play play and then play some more. TS2 is timeless, and you'll be opening up a whole new game with UC. :smiley:

I have been playing the base game of TS2 and I am happy to say that my sims do not die as frequently as they used to. I'm improving!
    I would love to register my game with EA and I tracked down my product code on regedit... But I bought the game second hand so it's probably already registered to someone else's account. I also wouldn't know where to register it...
    But I'm fine with the base game. Ya can't miss what ya never had, right?
  • Options
    I actually decided to take a leap of faith.
    deviantart-leap-of-faith_o_903596.jpg
    I went onto that live chat thing after all.
    I just sommer gave the dude my product code and bam! UC time!
    I suppose it was unregistered after all. Remind me never to doubt customer support... And the sims community... Or I'll miss the haystack.
    Now all I've got to do is get my internet to speed up...
    27kb/s is not going to get it downloaded any time soon.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I suppose it was unregistered after all. Remind me never to doubt customer support... And the sims community... Or I'll miss the haystack.

Congratulations! You know how everyone says about TS4 "just wait until the EPs, SPs, and GPs come rolling out..." well this goes five hundred-fold for TS2.

Please remember to eat and sleep :smirk:
  • Options

Congratulations! You know how everyone says about TS4 "just wait until the EPs, SPs, and GPs come rolling out..." well this goes five hundred-fold for TS2.

Please remember to eat and sleep :smirk:

sims2-2.jpg
    You couldn't have mentioned that earlier?!