Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Attn: modders and people who use mods

i know i've posted about mods before, so sorry if this is repetitive BUT,
i really want to add mods in my game, BUT,
i am not computer savy AT ALL and i am scared too.
all the files and folders and game location data things,
and i read sometimes the come zipped, what is that,
how would i even unzip a folder.
gahhh i need to read a techy book.

any advice from simmers when they were first time modding?
i am just nervous i will ruin my game (and i don't even know how to back it up)

*this is how i feel about installing a mod, all the files, folders, zips, and unzips that have to do with mods, having to move my mods folder to my desktop, uninstalling and reinstalling mods before and after game updates, patches, packs, etc, if they will ruin my game, having to delete a mod, and all things techy and having to do with mods*

uvpn5.jpg

BUT i also want mods because i think that it is awesome people can make mods, to make my game more enjoyable and interesting.

oh, plum!
you're ele-phantastic

Comments

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited July 2015
    You need to unzip all the archives that contains package files. Everything that has a .py or .pyo file inside doesn't need to be unzipped. If you use scripted mods, you need to enable them in the game options. Make a new save to test the mods and the custom content you download. I don't think a mod for the Sims can leave script on the savegame like happens in other games, but better be sure.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Well, all mods will go into your Mods folder located in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods.
    Dependent on what kind of mod it is, some files will be required to remain "zipped" in the .zip folder it comes in, and some will not. Most sites will state whether to keep some files zipped or extracted into the folder specified above.
    In order to open a .zip or .rar file, you need a program like WinRar/WinZip or 7zip to open it. There are a lot of free programs around on the net that can open such files.

As a general rule, you should always keep a backup of your game; Whether its saving before you expect a big event (like recklessly fixing a fridge with a lv2 handiness sim), or like in this case, adding mods. There's a topic somewhere here on the forum that lists some mods that became outdated during the recent patches, too. A majority of mods will have a notice saying if a mod is risky or completely safe to use, those being script mods that will change the way the original game runs. You could always inquire about some mods in the mods thread here on the forum as well. Lots of people here are generally helpful.
  • Options
    fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I use mods and write my own, I started with ModTheSims, it has a good collection of package mods, you can find others on tumblr and pinterest. all you need is 7zip, or some other decompression tool. Install the tool then download your mods unzip them by right clicking on them, (I usually move them to a misc. stuff folder somewhere on my storage drive but its not necessary) and move the unzipped file into your mods folder usually found under Documents/ElectronicArts/Sims4/Mods.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Also go over to Mod The Sims. They have excellent tutorials on what programs you need to be able to unzip your mods. There are two main ones: winzip and winrar. Both are free.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Unzip files using a file extractor, such as PeaZip.
    http://peazip.sourceforge.net
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    CatMomSenpaiCatMomSenpai Posts: 16 New Member
    edited July 2015
    My son uses winrar for most things.
    I've finally gotten use to the whole unzipping and moving files around.
    It isn't very difficult. I'd suggest watching a few youtube videos if you have any trouble as well. I found those to be very helpful.

~Karen
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

No. No. No.

PeaZip is way better. <3
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    edited July 2015
    So basically what I did was download the free trial of winzip on my computer and when I go to thesimsresource or any other site that has downloads on it, I click download and most of the time if it needs to be unzipped, it'll download thru winzip. Now I should mention that you should make a few subfolders inside of your mods folder inside your Sims 4 folder, and then make subfolders for hair, clothes, furniture, etc.Then once the download is ready, I click on it and it opens up winzip. Then I right click the file, then select extract. What I do then is go to documents, electronic arts, Sims 4, mods, and then if its hair I put it in the hair section. Same for clothes, furniture, etc.
    Now in the case that what you download DOES NOT come up thru winzip, that's probably because its a recolor or something that's already in the game so you just need to right click, select open in folder, and then copy and paste it into your mods folder with the hair or clothes.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    And here's a video.
    https://youtu.be/He6EzK8R49I
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    @KHS12 thank you SO much, but what do you mean it will download into winzip? like this will be an automatic thing or i have to put it there?
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    @wolfkomoki1 thank you!!! that video made it seem SO EASY. i am going to try :)
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    ambrown wrote: »
    @KHS12 thank you SO much, but what do you mean it will download into winzip? like this will be an automatic thing or i have to put it there?

Say you go to tumblr and find a hair you like. When you download the hair, it will download thru winzip. So basically you'll see a little yellow and gray WinZip symbol next to it while its downloading. Then click on it and it opens up Winzip. Click the second option, it says evaluated version, and then it opens up and the file or multiple files will be there and you click the box that needs to be checked. Right click the file after you've done that and it'll show "Extract files" which you'll need to click on. Then its gonna open up your computer menu, showing all of your files and you'll go place it in the right folders that I explained in my other post!
  • Options
    Also it's worth mentioning that if you don't want to purchase winzip, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall it after the 30 day trial is up! But that's what I do and its free lol
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    KHS12 wrote: »
    Also it's worth mentioning that if you don't want to purchase winzip, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall it after the 30 day trial is up! But that's what I do and its free lol

even if the trail is finished it will still work normally just give a massage that it is finished and i click x and complete as usual
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    got it! thanks guys :) my laptop actually came with 7zip so i didn't need to install anything (thank GOD my super techy dad came home and i was HOW DO I USE WINRAR) lol i have offically begun adding CC

@KHS12 @wolfkomoki1 @husseinandali
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    KajkaElinaKajkaElina Posts: 201 Member
    > @Colton147147 said:
    >
    > PeaZip is way better. <3

I agree!
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

My Origin ID is catKajka.