Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone tried the School mod?

fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
I want to try it especially now that they have added teachers....anyone try it and did it screw up your game at all...also is it difficult to install?

Comments

• Options
    francoesquefrancoesque Posts: 52 Member
    I've used it - it was easy to install and worked fine for me. Just make sure you've got a school for the relevant age group (elementary or high) in your world and it's set to the right venue type (which you can do once you've installed the mod). There are plenty on the gallery for both ages. Zerbu's tumblr pages contain instructions on how to install, FAQs and known issues.

Helps if you've got plenty of townies of the right age too - so if needs be, create a few large households full of teens/children, then place in your world and evict them. You don't want too many (it can be fun to see a horde of thirty teenager converging on the high school, but depending on how well stocked your school is they might hog the activity items. Alternatively, you can use the student generator on Zerbu's site.

Hope you enjoy the mod!
  • Options
    thanks for the info! I was wondering if anyone has tried it since they added adults.... I have been holding off for that reason...the schools seemed weird without an adult teacher around. I haven't been able to find any videos or comments since they added that feature.
  • Options
    francoesquefrancoesque Posts: 52 Member
    I've been playing it recently with the adults - they basically loiter around and you have to approach them and use the socials to ask them to teach you a subject (they all seem to be multi skilled) and talking to them gives you a skill boost.

You'll choose something like "learn about..." "arts and crafts", then get some skill in painting.

It seems to pick the 'teachers' from the townie population at random - one of my sims mums (on a family I wasn't playing at the time) ended up as a teacher, as she had no other job. When on school activites, you can actually approach any adult on the lot and ask them to teach you (useful when you're on field trips). The adults are not waiting in classrooms or anything, they just hang around the lot and try to keep themselves entertained (I tend to find them near TVs or on PCs playing games - ha!) so it's still not 100% realistic.

One thing I've noticed since the last update is it's very hard to get a gold day: you really are kept busy and learning from teachers seems to be heavily weighted for achieving milestones. I spent a day with a music-loving sim playing all the instruments it asked me to and only achieved a fraction of a bronze score. Now I start the day by being taught, then - if I have any time - I achieve other objectives.

It's great for social skills/aspirations though - I managed friend of the world with ease by going through a week of school activities, making sure to chat to folks regularly (I used my points to buy the incredibly friendly trait before my sim hit teen).
  • Options
    thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    MystsarkyMystsarky Posts: 55 Member
    I use it and it's great :) I made my own schools to use for it and they seem to work well with the mod :)

High School: http://www.thesims.com/gallery/0D0E3817503D11E58EBDDD3160E4BD92

Elementary School: http://www.thesims.com/gallery/9BE8BF68519D11E584FF496604DFD993

Though one thing I do use with this mod is the no autonomous computer use mod so that my students actually do other activities and not just stand around haha
  • Options
    those are beautiful builds.