Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The irony of the "It's On Us" t-shirt

ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I'm sure you've noticed the It's on Us t-shirt in CAS. It's someone's way of shoving their good intentions down my throat, like Greenpeace ringing my doorbell at dinner time. Good cause, wrong place for it. I digress. I realized something the other day. It's on Us is about stopping sexual assault, which is amazing and I'm all for it. However, it seems ironic placed in Sims, a game where if you push hard enough, you can woo-hoo with just about anyone you want. If you persist, if you just keep flirting, if you don't stop, eventually you'll get what you want. Granted, Sims 4 is a little more about watching cues and someone's mood, but the truth is, if you're crafty enough and you have the right mood enhancers (incense, romantic objects, drinks) you'll eventually get your way. If the Sim of your affection is tired or has to poop, it doesn't matter. Keep pushing the friendly interactions. Keep going. Don't stop. Keep calling, keep texting. You'll get there. Even if they don't like you at first, you can MAKE them like you. Flirty Heart Cookies are basically date-r*pe cookies. And can we talk about how creepy it is when a Sim is feeling flirty, talking all slow and sexy and the other Sim is just having a normal conversation? Creeper.

Naturally, this is not like real life. These are Sims rules. The romance aspect of the game is challenging with such moody Sims so clearly repetition is required. In real life, it's called sexual harassment. In the Sims, persistence equals woo-hoo. IRL, persistence and mood enhancers equals jail time.

Edited for typo and unclear statement
Post edited by ShuffleJ on

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting points, do you think it is a joke?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    not to mention that EA ignor the incest bug

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    You could just have your sim slip some unsuspecting victim a few muckleberry giving them dazed moodlet which leaves them more open to uhh.. romantic advances. Slip 'em the Mickey, if you will.
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    i hate when i keep playing and playing ts4 and hoping to get a face full of awesome, but ts4 just manages a slow, embarrassing dribble of mediocre. makes me feel used and unappreciated and like i'm doing it all wrong and that they're not really that into me.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    and there was me thinking that the 'woohoo in a bush' was a low point for the series...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I thought that shirt was some sort of weird CC I didn't remember downloading and kept forgetting to delete. :smiley:
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The shirt should not even be in the game by default. If anything, it should have been an optional DLC pack.

Real world bull stays at the door when I play The Sims. Including this shirt in the game was just needless and annoying IMHO.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The shirt should not even be in the game by default. If anything, it should have been an optional DLC pack.

Real world bull stays at the door when I play The Sims. Including this shirt in the game was just needless and annoying IMHO.

I think so too. It might be a good cause but don't force it into my game. Just like those freakin' Star Wars outfits.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Eh, if you want to think of it that way, then okay, I just thought it was a nice gesture that they showed support for those victims of sexual assault. Though I can see how the shirt may trigger some people.

I personally don't see how it's "Shoving good intentions down your throat". That's like saying someone parading for gay marriage near your house is doing the same thing. (I know gay marriage is legal now, this was just an example.)

I just don't see why it bothers people (unless they were victims of/personally knew someone who was sexual assaulted), if you know it has good intentions and doesn't outright affect you in some severe way(again, unless your a victim/personally knew someone who was sexual assaulted) then why does it bother you so much? To most people it's just a shirt, if you really can't handle it then there's a mod to change it to simlish.
  • Options
    lapislazulilapislazuli Posts: 73 Member
    Why are you calling flirty heart cookies, "date r-pe drugs," ??? I have no idea if this joke is supposed to be joking/exaggerating, but comparing this stuff to date r-pe drugs, and sexual harassment, takes it a bit too far. Not exactly sure what your point was with this post, but I do agree that they shouldn't have put it in game, because it is triggering. I do recognize that they had good intentions, though.
    anyways,
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited August 2015
    Why are you calling flirty heart cookies, "date r-pe drugs," ??? I have no idea if this joke is supposed to be joking/exaggerating, but comparing this stuff to date r-pe drugs, and sexual harassment, takes it a bit too far. Not exactly sure what your point was with this post, but I do agree that they shouldn't have put it in game, because it is triggering. I do recognize that they had good intentions, though.

I think it is becouse it can force a sim to be in the mood
    I defently see why 1 can think so

Still find the bug worse than the tshirt.
    but no reason for ea to put things directory known to tricker in the game. On the other hand it is great they support, but the tshirt could have been in simlist. .. also with out mod
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    lapislazulilapislazuli Posts: 73 Member
    anettesb wrote: »

I think it is becouse it can force a sim to be in the mood
    I defently see why 1 can think so

Still find the bug worse than the tshirt.
    but no reason for ea to put things directory known to tricker in the game. On the other hand it is great they support, but the tshirt could have been in simlist. .. also with out mod

I still think that using that term was a complete exaggeration, and I doubt their intention for the cookies was for that.

But yes, the incest bug needs to be recognized, and fixed. I've only had the problem once, but I think it's pretty disturbing that this is still a problem.
    anyways,
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    There are things in the game, like the flirty cookies and the mickleberry, that allow your sim to influence another sim romantically. Of course there's no violence involved in the game, it's just supposed to be about fun, but I do see the irony the OP is talking about. ;)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    You're literally looking way too much into this...
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015

It's normal by now they always stretch whatever feature to make weird excuses for the game. But the t-shirt in the game, like I said, would be better if not in a patch.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    edited August 2015
    @lapislazuli It's a cookie that makes a Sim flirty which bumps up the ability to Woo-hoo. If you have the VIP wine bucket and flirty heart cookies, Woo-Hoo is in the bag, even for Sims you hardly know. Frankly, anything that enhances mood in the game is technically a drug. Even the lamps and gnomes.

It's just a silly oversight. The design team is stuck in a place where they're trying to make a risqué game, but still cater to young people. You can't have both. The inclusion of the t-shirt is about storytelling. My biggest beef with the game is continuity and storytelling. Breaking suspension of disbelief if a cardinal sin in any kind of storytelling: From books and movies to video games and role playing. You have to believe you're in that world. When I see t-shirts in english, it breaks the spell. It's not about the cause. It could say "What's Up?" and I'd still feel the same.

@Lustianicia You're right. What do you suggest? Should I seek professional help? Maybe take some flirty heart cookies so I don't think about it anymore? :neutral: