Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel really conflicted about the rate of which the devs are pushing out new content.

Because on one hand yay new content! But on the other it feels like they're just releasing new stuff constantly to keep people distracted from the game's problems that were there since day one. I guess they think it's easier to keep players distracted with shiny new objects and clothing than to fix the problems the game has coded into the base game like the borked emotions system. the culling, and the Sims stalking you across lots.

LGR really nailed it when he said that the overall quality of new content is suffering from all the releases.

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    They don't care about the quality of their games. Look at TS3. They were just fine with slapping a permanent TS4 ad on the main menu screen in one of its last patches, shoving store/microtransactions right into the buy mode of the game, and so on.

How come TS1/TS2 didn't need to go this far to sell content?
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The sad thing is, in TS3, you had CASt so if you wanted to change the colour of something, you had the option to do so, there was no need for a 'Cool Kitchen' SP, instead they focused on themes, some quite good, others a bit questionable *ahem* Katy Perry *ahem*

Apart from some CC, TS4 is marred by lack of variety in colours it seems
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I agree, @Wasting_Night. I was originally excited over the idea of the new kitchen pack. The free dishwasher announcement was really cool. But like you said, we've got issues that they need to address, and I'm getting pretty irritated that they say NOTHING about these issues. Every single thing they release that adds NPCs to the game is going to make the culling issue worse. It's going to get to the point where as soon as you load a brand new game, culling will happen immediately. Why won't they talk to us about this? Do they even care how much culling ruins the gaming experience?

Then the content of these packs seem slapped together with a minimal of effort. The dishwasher looks lovely, but it opens on its own, no animation of the sim opening it. That seems sloppy to me, I like the fine details they went into with previous versions. Plus with "Cool Kitchens" we get ONE style of cabinets, some decor items, the ice cream maker (nice, but doesn't make an entire pack), and a bunch of CAS items. A Cool Kitchen pack to me would have been 2-3 cabinet styles, some small appliances (food processor, blender), and the ice cream maker.

The lack of effort is just really obvious to me, and it doesn't motivate me to buy anything Sims 4 anymore.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yep quantity over quality for the Sims 4 I'm afraid. Some of the packs I admit have been a joke so far just because of their content especially the Cool Kitchens one which was mostly filled with CAS items and little to no kitchen stuff.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I agree, @Wasting_Night. I was originally excited over the idea of the new kitchen pack. The free dishwasher announcement was really cool. But like you said, we've got issues that they need to address, and I'm getting pretty irritated that they say NOTHING about these issues. Every single thing they release that adds NPCs to the game is going to make the culling issue worse. It's going to get to the point where as soon as you load a brand new game, culling will happen immediately. Why won't they talk to us about this? Do they even care how much culling ruins the gaming experience?

Then the content of these packs seem slapped together with a minimal of effort. The dishwasher looks lovely, but it opens on its own, no animation of the sim opening it. That seems sloppy to me, I like the fine details they went into with previous versions. Plus with "Cool Kitchens" we get ONE style of cabinets, some decor items, the ice cream maker (nice, but doesn't make an entire pack), and a bunch of CAS items. A Cool Kitchen pack to me would have been 2-3 cabinet styles, some small appliances (food processor, blender), and the ice cream maker.

The lack of effort is just really obvious to me, and it doesn't motivate me to buy anything Sims 4 anymore.

Well said :smile:
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yep quantity over quality for the Sims 4 I'm afraid. Some of the packs I admit have been a joke so far just because of their content especially the Cool Kitchens one which was mostly filled with CAS items and little to no kitchen stuff.

and again, wells said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    if they keep throwing packs at you then you won't notice the franchise is sinking.
  • Options
    if they keep throwing packs at you then you won't notice the franchise is sinking.

Oh, I can see it sinking ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member

@Cabelle1863 to be perfectly honest I feel like the culling has joined the lack of toddlers in the long list of ten ton elephants Maxis won't address. Considering that most (if not all) of the game's technical problems stem from it's coding I I honestly think that they're either having trouble fixing the culling or they just can't.

And yes, Cool Kitchen should have had more small appliances added in to justify the theme - right now it feels like one dev came up with the ice cream machine and they wanted an excuse to charge for it.

It really does feel that way now. Just the fact that they're not addressing the problems and just going "Look! new clothing! Closets! Parties! EMOTIONS! EMOTIONS! EMOTIONS!" to placate the fans.

• Options

And yes, Cool Kitchen should have had more small appliances added in to justify the theme - right now it feels like one dev came up with the ice cream machine and they wanted an excuse to charge for it.

Good point, a few recoloured objects go nicely with an ice cream machine and that pays for the 'free' dishwasher that they forgot to add at launch
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited August 2015

@Cabelle1863 to be perfectly honest I feel like the culling has joined the lack of toddlers in the long list of ten ton elephants Maxis won't address. Considering that most (if not all) of the game's technical problems stem from it's coding I I honestly think that they're either having trouble fixing the culling or they just can't.

It really does feel that way now. Just the fact that they're not addressing the problems and just going "Look! new clothing! Closets! Parties! EMOTIONS! EMOTIONS! EMOTIONS!" to placate the fans.
    That shouldn't be hard to fix. I am pretty sure because I am a developer myself. I rather they either don't care, have no window for that on their timeline or they keep it on purpose because they prolly still have plans for an online version on their backlog.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They don't care about the quality of their games. Look at TS3. They were just fine with slapping a permanent TS4 ad on the main menu screen in one of its last patches, shoving store/microtransactions right into the buy mode of the game, and so on.

What really gets me about TS4 is I have 92 sets (collections) for TS2 (not including CC or system ones)... Now I have all of the Stuff and Expansion packs, but I have 92 sets of EA made stuff for the game, that's without any store based stuff and each set is easily as big as a TS4 stuff pack and isn't just 'different colours' but is uniquely themed content.

It really does show you how EA have changed the series.

raw
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited August 2015
    Cyron43 wrote: »

That shouldn't be hard to fix. I am pretty sure because I am a developer myself. I rather they either don't care, have no window for that on their timeline or they keep it on purpose because they prolly still have plans for an online version on their backlog.

It should be childishly simply to disable their culling system, but knowing them they've probably tied it into several others things that it shouldn't even be a part of, the emotions system, the neighbourhood, ETC.

Oh no, not online again... Just watch the sheer amount of bugs that would unleash.
    raw
  • Options

Long time no speak Cyron! :smiley:

Good points though, fixing problems is the last thing they are doing right now, but ignoring those problems is the last thing that they should be doing
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Because on one hand yay new content! But on the other it feels like they're just releasing new stuff constantly to keep people distracted from the game's problems that were there since day one. I guess they think it's easier to keep players distracted with shiny new objects and clothing than to fix the problems the game has coded into the base game like the borked emotions system. the culling, and the Sims stalking you across lots.

LGR really nailed it when he said that the overall quality of new content is suffering from all the releases.

I don't see it as much different than the S3 store. If anything it seems less frequent than the rate of the S3 store. I don't know, maybe the store didn't have much at first, can't remember. Anyway no one complains about the flood of CC available in various states of quality out online (far from it) but, then that's free so maybe that doesn't cheapen the game? (shrug) If people don't like it then don't buy it.
  • Options

I don't see it as much different than the S3 store. If anything it seems less frequent than the rate of the S3 store. I don't know, maybe the store didn't have much at first, can't remember. Anyway no one complains about the flood of CC available in various states of quality out online (far from it) but, then that's free so maybe that doesn't cheapen the game? (shrug) If people don't like it then don't buy it.

No complains about free CC, people have been using it for years and I don't think the TS3 Store really expanded on a large rate until around 2011/2012 when they started adding more worlds amongst other things such as restaurants which had new interactions while the early store more or less just household objects and clothing
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    I'm not so bothered by the release rate as I am by the lack of effort, so far every SP/GP/EP has fallen short. Ideas aren't finished off, animations are missed, and the same old faces turn up everywhere. It's laziness, do the bare minimum and that's, pure and simple. :s
  • Options
    KevWalker wrote: »
    I'm not so bothered by the release rate as I am by the lack of effort, so far every SP/GP/EP has fallen short. Ideas aren't finished off, animations are missed, and the same old faces turn up everywhere. It's laziness, do the bare minimum and that's, pure and simple. :s

Sadly, that's how it would be for years

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Evil_One wrote: »

It should be childishly simply to disable their culling system, but knowing them they've probably tied it into several others things that it shouldn't even be a part of, the emotions system, the neighbourhood, ETC.

Oh no, not online again... Just watch the sheer amount of bugs that would unleash.
    Yeah but did they ever care? I don't want online either but from what I have heard the code is still there, just not called from anywhere. Code that took much work to develop. Could be reason enough for some suit over there but that's just me and my negativity. :blush:

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Evil_One wrote: »

Yeah but did they ever care? I don't want online either but from what I have heard the code is still there, just not called from anywhere.

So they just leave old bits of code lying around for technically able people to find?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Good points though, fixing problems is the last thing they are doing right now, but ignoring those problems is the last thing that they should be doing
    Hi mate. :)
    We preach this to them since... oh I can't even remember anymore when it all began. Guess it was back at Sims 2 already? *scratches head*

This space is for rent.
  • Options

Hi mate. :)
    We preach this to them since... oh I can't even remember anymore when it all began. Guess it was back at Sims 2 already? *scratches head*

There have been issues for a long time really and it intact did start back in the TS2 days but only now have people started to realise how bad things are getting

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Because TS1/TS2 were high quality and sold fine on their own people wanted to buy them they had no reason to beg like they do now.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"