Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 on Mac Pro (2006-2012)

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Air (11.6", Early 2014) and The Sims 4 runs almost perfectly on it. Now, my question is, do any of you guys have a Mac Pro (1,1 - up to the 2012 models)? if yes, can you please tell me your specs, what the graphics are set on it, etc. I am looking to buy another Mac, and I have been looking at the Mac Pro.

Thanks, Alex
thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png

Comments

• Options
    PotterSimmerPotterSimmer Posts: 6 New Member
    Macbook pro 13inch mid 2012 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
  • Options
    sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    > @PotterSimmer said:
    > Macbook pro 13inch mid 2012 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Thanks for your reply, but I meant the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro! :)
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Which Mac Pro? There were several refreshes in the timeframe you've stated. So long as it meets the minimum requirements, it should play (it's a Mac Pro, it should do!):

Minimum Requirements -
    • Minimum OS – Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)
    • CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better
    • RAM – At least 4Gb RAM
    • Hard Drive – At least 10Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
    • Video – NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM (VRAM) of 256 MB or better
    • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
    • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

Recommended Requirements:
    • Minimum OS – Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9 or later)
    • CPU – Intel Core i5 or better
    • RAM – 8Gb RAM
    • Hard Drive – 12Gb Hard Drive space
    • Video – NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
    • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks for your reply, but I meant the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro! :)

May I ask why you're going to purchase a Mac Pro? Are you going to be using it for video editing, making music, or editing photos? I'm just curious as it is an expensive computer system.

Looking back at Mac Pro systems, you're not going to have great quality of your game until you hit the 2011/2012 Mac Pro systems. Just researching and looking at system requirements, the 2012 Mac Pro is your top contender. Anything prior to the 2011 Pro systems do not look like you'll have that great of success with game efficiency as well as graphics and speed.

But as always, please refer to @BluebellFlora's post above and CHECK the system requirements when looking for the right computer. If you have any more questions we are here to help. :)

Best of luck!
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Which Mac Pro? There were several refreshes in the timeframe you've stated. So long as it meets the minimum requirements, it should play (it's a Mac Pro, it should do!):
    >
    > Minimum Requirements - * Minimum OS – Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)
    > * CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better
    > * RAM – At least 4Gb RAM
    > * Hard Drive – At least 10Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
    > * Video – NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM (VRAM) of 256 MB or better
    > * Input – Keyboard and Mouse
    > * Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation
    >
    >
    > Recommended Requirements: * Minimum OS – Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9 or later)
    > * CPU – Intel Core i5 or better
    > * RAM – 8Gb RAM
    > * Hard Drive – 12Gb Hard Drive space
    > * Video – NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    > * Input – Keyboard and Mouse
    > * Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

Thanks for your reply. :) I looked at the 2012 Mac Pro, which has a GTX 650 graphics card, 12 Core Xeon processor, and 12GB of RAM. :) I only asked because I cannot find a thread or discussion about The Sims on Mac Pros.

Alex
  • Options
    > @Simsocity said:
    > sutivirus12 wrote: »
    >
    > Thanks for your reply, but I meant the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro! :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > May I ask why you're going to purchase a Mac Pro? Are you going to be using it for video editing, making music, or editing photos? I'm just curious as it is an expensive computer system.
    >
    > Looking back at Mac Pro systems, you're not going to have great quality of your game until you hit the 2011/2012 Mac Pro systems. Just researching and looking at system requirements, the 2012 Mac Pro is your top contender. Anything prior to the 2011 Pro systems do not look like you'll have that great of success with game efficiency as well as graphics and speed.
    >
    > But as always, please refer to BluebellFlora's post above and CHECK the system requirements when looking for the right computer. If you have any more questions we are here to help. :)
    >
    > Best of luck!

Well, I'd play The Sims 4, Simcity, but that isn't the only thing I would do. I would be editing photos, video editing, and stuff like that. I don't really buy (for example) a $6000 computer, just to play Minecraft lol

I found a thread here, about what the Sims 4 runs like on certain graphics cards and I'm do not plan on getting a Mac Pro with nVidia 7300GT (because it's marked as red, and knowing that the 7300GT is quite an old graphics card, it's not ideal, nor is it "future proof".

As I said above, I have found a pretty decent configuration one, with a 12 Core Xeon processor, 12GB of RAM, and a GTX 650 graphics card. I might buy that.

I would buy the Late 2013- Mac Pro but it's just not really in my budget. lol

Anyways thanks for your help! :)

Alex
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The Mac Pro is the rarest used Mac but I'm positive the old Mac Pro especially the 2011-2012 models will work. You may need to get the right video card but it should work. Most Simmers with a Mac usually use the iMac or MacBook Pro although we're starting to see MacBook Air users.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    sachaMagnesachaMagne Posts: 18 New Member
    I got a 2009 with an updated video card (Radeon 6800) and all works flawlessly.
  • Options
    > @WinMacSims3 said:
    > The Mac Pro is the rarest used Mac but I'm positive the old Mac Pro especially the 2011-2012 models will work. You may need to get the right video card but it should work. Most Simmers with a Mac usually use the iMac or MacBook Pro although we're starting to see MacBook Air users.

Thanks. :) I'm on a Macbook Air as well, but need something a little bit more powerful for my needs. :D I can play The Sims 4 on Medium, with the Lighting on High, and it runs pretty well. (Around 25-35FPS) but it does get (really) hot, so I use a cooling pad. :)

I don't want to get a Mac Pro with the nVidia GeForce 7300GT, because it's just not a "future proof" card.

Alex
  • Options
    > @sachaMagne said:
    > I got a 2009 with an updated video card (Radeon 6800) and all works flawlessly.
    >

Thanks, that's nice to know. :) Now I know I can look for 2009 models as well, the ones equipped with the HD Radeon 6800 card.

Alex
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm running the following except I've now taken on Windows 10...

Windows 7 Ultimate

System

Manufacturer Apple Inc.
    Model MacPro3,1
    Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 8

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1629 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 538 GB Free (635 GB Total)
    Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
    Disk partition (E:) 404 GB Free (465 GB Total)
    Disk partition (F:) 277 GB Free (296 GB Total)
    Disk partition (G:) 77 GB Free (233 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 3583 MB
    Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.4174
    Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
    DirectX version DirectX 10

This is a hand-me-down from my husband who's into photography, slide shows, et al. I've been warned that one of these days....it's not going to work for me and the Sims. However, at this point with all specs set to max, and all expansions, stuffs...everything EA has sold for S4 so far, it's running pretty well. BTW, my cc/mods file has over 4000 items. I don't know that I'd recommend it - I think I'm going to be in trouble one of these days, but for now - no problems. I use this like a pc - only on the Windows side. Husband wants to upgrade his system again - that means I'll get a better and new pc for gaming. But for now....it's fine. I ran these specs just before Windows 10 and the latest stuff pack.
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    > @ClaimingTheFifth said:
    > I'm running the following except I've now taken on Windows 10...
    >
    > Windows 7 Ultimate
    >
    > System
    > Manufacturer Apple Inc.
    > Model MacPro3,1
    > Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM
    > System type 64-bit operating system
    > Number of processor cores 8
    >
    > Storage
    > Total size of hard disk(s) 1629 GB
    > Disk partition (C:) 538 GB Free (635 GB Total)
    > Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
    > Disk partition (E:) 404 GB Free (465 GB Total)
    > Disk partition (F:) 277 GB Free (296 GB Total)
    > Disk partition (G:) 77 GB Free (233 GB Total)
    >
    > Graphics
    > Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    > Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
    > Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
    > Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    > Shared system memory 3583 MB
    > Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.4174
    > Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
    > DirectX version DirectX 10
    >
    > This is a hand-me-down from my husband who's into photography, slide shows, et al. I've been warned that one of these days....it's not going to work for me and the Sims. However, at this point with all specs set to max, and all expansions, stuffs...everything EA has sold for S4 so far, it's running pretty well. BTW, my cc/mods file has over 4000 items. I don't know that I'd recommend it - I think I'm going to be in trouble one of these days, but for now - no problems. I use this like a pc - only on the Windows side. Husband wants to upgrade his system again - that means I'll get a better and new pc for gaming. But for now....it's fine. I ran these specs just before Windows 10 and the latest stuff pack.

Whoa, lol, :). Thanks for that. :D Now I know that I can look for MacPro3,1 models as well. That's nice, because it's cheaper, lol :)

I didn't know that the 8800GT used memory from the system memory... :) That's very good to know, as I know it's great (with 8GB RAM obviously).

Thanks again,

Alex
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    For any one who may still be following this....today we went from W10 back to W7. For some reason it seems that the ability to backup somehow got corrupted so that after I took the W10 d/l, we could no longer get a backup. Whatever became "corrupted?" seems to now affect W7 also. It's not a huge problem as we're backing up the Sims files on an external hard-drive til my new computer arrives next week :smiley: But I thought I should note this here if anyone's paying attention.
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.