Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have anyone read Uglies and Pretties books?

fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
I just remembered these books and thought that our sims looks exactly like the pretty ones on this series. For those who do not know these titles, it is the story of a young girl who is a ugly one and who dream of the day when she will become a Pretty and go in the city where the pretties lives. When the children reach 16 years old, the are transformed in sublimes creatures without any defectuosity and become another person. Their new life starts. Impatient and before her transformation, she leave her city at night and go to the other one to spy the pretties... There, they are all throwing parties, acting stupid and living exactly like the Sims. I just remembered that...

Well, that is not the best description, but I'm French and it is hard for me to find the best words to describe the story... But still, what I wanted to say is : our sims are exactly like the Pretties in that story. Throwing parties, drinking and acting stupid. They also copulate everywhere and with everyone just like it is nothing. When they have kids, they don't really care because they are objects. They don't do anything with them (in the Sims, we don't have a lot of family interactions. In the books, parents ship their kids to the Uglies city and they are growing with a few visit of their parents, educated by others people and when they reach 16 years old (almost adult) they finally can be introduced to the new and true world : plastic surgery and let's go party with the grown up.)

So... I am the only one who find it similar?
Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme

Comments

• Options
    hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    That sounds like a great book? mind sharing the full title and author? I'd love to give it a read!
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    KyationeKyatione Posts: 187 Member
    I know those books. I stopped reading at Pretties though because the MC didn't get with the guy I liked.
    It's not so much a great book as it is weird. Do you want nano chips in your brain that determine what you do?

But, you're right OP, this book also came to my mind when I saw the EP release.
  • Options
    Man I should have given that in the beginning. Sorry!

There are 4 books.
    Uglies
    Pretties
    Specials
    Extras.

Personally Uglies and Pretties are the best. I didn't like the others. What I described is a little part it the Uglies book, the one that made me think of the Sims.

Here is the description in Wikipedia :

Uglies is a 2005 science fiction novel by Scott Westerfeld. It is set in a future post scarcity dystopian world in which everyone is turned "Pretty" by extreme cosmetic surgery upon reaching age 16. It tells the story of teenager Tally Youngblood who rebels against society's enforced conformity, after her newfound friends Shay and David show her the downsides to becoming a "Pretty".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uglies?wprov=sfia1
  • Options
    mommysimmermommysimmer Posts: 188 Member
    I LOVE those books!!
  • Options
    hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    Thank you! I love dystopian novels!!
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    moseekeemoseekee Posts: 274 Member
    Kyatione wrote: »
    I know those books. I stopped reading at Pretties though because the MC didn't get with the guy I liked.
    It's not so much a great book as it is weird. Do you want nano chips in your brain that determine what you do?

But, you're right OP, this book also came to my mind when I saw the EP release.

OMG I did the exact same thing, but my friend read them all and in the end it all works out.
    Origin: moseekee
  • Options
    TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    The first cc I made was to make pretties and specials back in the sims 2days. Haha pretty sure reading the books too young is why I have issues with weird faces.
  • Options
    Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I've read uglies its a really good story.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Never heard of it.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    BrittaSkyBrittaSky Posts: 34 New Member
    It's really good, I love the series. BTW the author is Scott Westerfield. But I agree, Extras and Specials are really not good. They are super confusing and all over the place. :/
  • Options
    TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    BrittaSky wrote: »
    It's really good, I love the series. BTW the author is Scott Westerfield. But I agree, Extras and Specials are really not good. They are super confusing and all over the place. :/

i love all of them.... >_> XD
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    I loved the first book! Recommend it for everyone :)
  • Options
    AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    I loved this series, I read Uglies over and over while I was waiting for the next book to come out. I sort of see what you mean, the other day I was thinking that sims in TS4 speak about 99% of the time as if they're laughing or really happy, like "Everything is so good! La la la la la." which is kind if like all the airhead conversations Pretties have (Bubbly! Pretty-making!)
  • Options
    Yeah I played yesterday and now I want to read Uglies another time. This was one of my favorite book when I was at school.

My Sims act so much like pretties, I find it really disturbing ahah!
    BrittaSky wrote: »

The "world" was so much different of the first books. I found it hard to follow the last books because of this.