Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

saving isn't working?

i just spent about 5 hours playing my game and made massive family progression, and i was saving regularly throughout the game. I tried to save my game again and it kept coming up with an error, i tried saving it as a new game and in edit town mode but all failed and kept coming up with the error code 12. Eventually the dreaded debug box came up and closed my game. When I went to restart and got to my game again i discovered that none of my saves had worked so i lost all 5 hours of my game!? To be frank i am extremely angry with this at the moment and not sure what to do in order to fix this problem. If anyone knows how to solve this problem I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Solving? Not likely, I'm afraid. But here's an idea to prevent future frustrations.
    Never use Save (or Save and Quit), always use Save as to save your progress. Always quit by Quit without Save. That way a failed save will not make all your work go 'poof'. And if a save doesn't work, don't retry with the same name, because the game only makes one single backup and a second try will overwrite the possibly still useable backup with the first failed one.

BTW: if you want to use a backup, look inside the folder [user]/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Saves to find the backup by looking for the folder named as [NameYouGaveThe Save].sims3.backup instead of [NameYouGaveThe Save].sims3. Throw away the faulty [Name...].sims3 and rename the backup by simply removing the .backup part of the name (so now this older folder looks like [Name...].sims3).
  • Options
    AmagirlAmagirl Posts: 2,525 Member
    thank you! when the saves started failing i started to change the name of the saves but what im confused about is that the previous saves seemed successful no error came up turns but none of them worked im back to the start of today
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    Always purge RAM before you save. Also, I get error 12 once my game is using 2.5GB of RAM. As soon as I'm getting close to that, even after purging, I go to an empty lot (uses less RAM to render), purge RAM, save my game, and then quit. If I want to keep playing, I restart my Mac (completely purges RAM), and then relaunch the game. It's frustrating, no question, but it prevents error 12.
  • Options
    AmagirlAmagirl Posts: 2,525 Member
    what is 'purging' ram and how do you do that?
  • Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Have a good look at the first, stickied, link at the Mac Page: a-mac-users-best-friend-please-read-before-posting-any-new-problem-threads. There you'll find all sorts of good links to just about everything pertaining playing Sims on a Mac.
    Pay especially good attention to the first link on that page, that will lead you to @BluebellFlora's compilation of useful facts, tips and tricks. One off the subjects there is purging RAM.