Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Content for the Mac??

I'm new to the Sims world, and I just downloaded the Sims 3 on my new iMac. It runs perfectly, and now I want to add custom content to the game. Is there specific custom content only made for the iMac users? Or can you download custom content from websites like The Sims Resource and use that in game? Please help and thank you to whoever does.

Comments

• Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Normally you can use the same items as on a Windows PC. However some sites have different downloads for Mac or Windows — for instance because they use specific, different compression programs for both.

Three tips on using CC:
    • You should have a good look at the date items were added for DL, because they are often only working with certain patch levels. Ideally, patch your game to the last one (EA said there will never be new patches again, even though there are still more than enough things sorely needing to be patched!) and only DL something that states to be working with that patch. For info on how best to patch see the first page of the first (stickied) thread in this (the Mac) forum:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/748338/a-mac-users-best-friend-please-read-before-posting-any-new-problem-threads
    • The Sims Resource (TSR) mostly is a good site, but they are a bit aggressive in trying to get their money and some (not most) DL's are reported to contain malware. So: beware!
    • In the past there was a patch that required almost all CC to be updated. Stay clear of those old ones, especially if there are separate Mac and Windows DL's because in some cases only the Windows version were updated. :(
  • Options
    MashedPotatoooesMashedPotatoooes Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Ashpeef said:
    > Normally you can use the same items as on a Windows PC. However some sites have different downloads for Mac or Windows — for instance because they use specific, different compression programs for both.
    >
    > Three tips on using CC:
    > • You should have a good look at the date items were added for DL, because they are often only working with certain patch levels. Ideally, patch your game to the last one (EA said there will never be new patches again, even though there are still more than enough things sorely needing to be patched!) and only DL something that states to be working with that patch. For info on how best to patch see the first page of the first (stickied) thread in this (the Mac) forum:
    > forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/748338/a-mac-users-best-friend-please-read-before-posting-any-new-problem-threads
    > • The Sims Resource (TSR) mostly is a good site, but they are a bit aggressive in trying to get their money and some (not most) DL's are reported to contain malware. So: beware!
    > • In the past there was a patch that required almost all CC to be updated. Stay clear of those old ones, especially if there are separate Mac and Windows DL's because in some cases only the Windows version were updated. :(

Thank you!