Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Oh, joy...

KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
I despise this holiday. It's not that I don't think mothers shouldn't be celebrated - I do - but it also brings the "you owe your mother everything" crowd and I hate that. It's just those people who believe you're always supposed love your mother (or father), even if she was the worst person toward you. I used to just not mind it until I had someone rant at me over that (despite that they knew absolutely nothing about me aside from my dislike of the holiday) and put me in tears because of it. Since then, I've gone from merely not caring about Mother's Day to outright hating it.
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

Comments

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Without our mothers and fathers, we wouldn't be here. But also without us (and our siblings if we have them), they wouldn't be mothers or fathers. While there's certainly some gratitude for being brought into this world, for sure, to me it's what comes after that makes it so much more important.

I was fortunate and have had a very loving mother, and my father has been...well he's been a good provider, if not so much of someone who's spent so much time with me. While I do love them both and realize I wouldn't be here if not for them, guess which I'm closer to. Yeah, the one who actually spends time with me.

Conversely there are people who have been brought into this world into bad situations and if they have been lucky enough to survive them and not get dragged into the same lifestyle, may not have the fondest of feelings towards their mother/father.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    I think there's more to it than just which one you spend more time with. I spent more time with my mother, and it was not beneficial to our relationship. The less we spoke, the better we got along. My dad, on the other hand, while he wasn't home as much as my mom, was someone that I could understand, look up to, ask for advice, and just have a conversation with without drama.

I loved my mom, but it was best if I did it from a distance.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I used to ignore the holiday when my mom was an alcoholic. Instead I made it all about my grandma who raised me.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mariesummersmariesummers Posts: 598 Member
    I haven't celebrated mothers day since I was 12 and fathers day since I was 9, not because i didn't love my parents, I did. But because they passed away so fathers day and mothers day are very hard for me. I do get what your are saying some parents dont deserve to be owed anything, like my grandma on my dads side, she died, and im sorry but i hated her and the way she treated my dad.
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    I don't hate it, but I don't think it's the second most important holiday next to Christmas either. My mom lives several hours away. My birth mother does too, but we aren't close at all and I barely know her so that's whatever. My DH doesn't have a relationship with his mother at all, and his grandma (who raised him along with his dad and grandpa) passed away two years ago. This is why I avoid nearly everything on that day - due to all the mother worship.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I don't mind Mother's Day in theory, but I feel like my family has been celebrating one thing or another every weekend since Christmas. Also, my mom's birthday is in two weeks. I'm broke, and it's getting harder and harder to come up with meaningful gift ideas every time some special occasion allows people to guilt me into celebrating their existence.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I'm ok with it. My mother is a very laid back person and she never expects much. She doesn't like it when anyone makes a big fuss over her for any reason (I guess I'm like her in that way). She's happy with a card, some fresh flowers, or some homemade cookies. My mom and I have always been close. My grandmother died a couple of years ago like a week before Mother's Day, so it's especially important to my mother because she tends to get very sad around this time of year and a little gift or a brunch together helps take her mind off of it.

Don't let someone else's words make you hate any holiday or make you feel guilty. A holiday like Mother's Day is something that is very personal and how you feel about it absolutely depends on your experiences and your relationship with family members. No one else can tell you how to feel.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I understand. My mom is a bit of a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 towards me and I don't have the best relationship with her so I don't tell her anything.
    oh3cjs.jpg