Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aging

I've been playing The Sims since the franchise began and I've never seen a Sim die of old age.

I tend to keep aging off. Also, I have a hard time committing to one particular save game for any length of time.

I'm considering turning over a new leaf and trying this... aging... thing. I'm afraid it will make me sad watching my Sims age and die.

I also worry they will die before they finish their careers, or see their kids grow up.

Is it fun to play with aging on? Will there still be townies to marry my future generations?

Comments

• Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I like seeing my sims age and progress through their lives. I turn aging off when I want to make sure my sim completes a career or other goals before they age up. I always turn aging back on though when my sims have completed what I want them to and when I'm ready to have them age up :)
  • Options
    mangoandgypsymangoandgypsy Posts: 41 Member
    That sounds like a good way to do it - you get the best of both sides :)
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited April 2015
    You will still have the ghost of your sim to Interact with. You also can ressurect him.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Ooooh, that I have never done before! That would be interesting.
  • Options
    FoxyLovesKittyFoxyLovesKitty Posts: 889 Member
    Before Sims 3, I couldn't watch my sims die of old age as well. But it's not that bad. They will still appear on the family tree, and you can paint a portrait/take a picture of them when they're still alive and hang it on the wall.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,560 Member
    well its more fun playing the sims4 with aging fully turn off at least for me but its for you to decide the way you play your game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Awww, that's sweet. I have to admit there is a lot I've never explored. What I'm going to do is start with the longest lifespan and test the waters with that. Hopefully it will be long enough to wrap up their careers and live their lives before they die :D
  • Options
    olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    I think since the sims IS a life simulation game, aging should be turned on, seeing as it is a huge part of life. It's really fun to see you're sims get older, and wiser, and learn more skills throughout the way. I always have aging on. It makes it feel like it's more realistic.
    we way too young to get old <3
  • Options
    I started a new game with aging on. So far not much has happened because I set the life length to long. I may change that, though. Thanks, everyone, for weighing in :)
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I recently played a game in which I had my Sim become an elder, something I had never done before. It was quite fun. She could still have a job, and she was still very active. Even though she couldn't jog or exercise as long as she could when she was an adult, she still mastered the Fitness skill as an elder.

I couldn't get her to die, though. She stopped "aging" at 105 days and she was still alive two weeks later.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    paigechristinepaigechristine Posts: 96 Member
    I always set my lifespan to normal and they usually have enough time to finish their careers and retire when they become elders. They also have been able to see their kids fully grow up and even have grandchildren. :)
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I know it's rather sad to see a Sim you created go through their life and die, I've been through there, although none of my Sims have actually died yet, since Old Age is the only random death in the game your Sims won't die as easy.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    einshelmdweiylleeinshelmdweiylle Posts: 35 New Member
    I keep aging toggled on. But I adjust the length of life to the longest as far as I could. Perhaps too long... Still have yet to see my great, great, great grandfather sim to die. lol
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    If you want to play your sims for a long period of time, max out the days of their life stages and before they age up buy a young again potion.
  • Options
    MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    That's how I use to play especially in Sims 2 and beginning of 3. I started playing more legacy since sims 3 and I am hooked!

For me, I get too attached to my sims. Watching them grow old and die made me sad too. Now, I enjoy seeing and playing their offspring because it reminds me that they part of my original sims? I know it's kinda silly but sometimes I think this is what my original sims would have wanted too. :|
  • Options
    Munchy wrote: »
    That's how I use to play especially in Sims 2 and beginning of 3. I started playing more legacy since sims 3 and I am hooked!

For me, I get too attached to my sims. Watching them grow old and die made me sad too. Now, I enjoy seeing and playing their offspring because it reminds me that they part of my original sims? I know it's kinda silly but sometimes I think this is what my original sims would have wanted too. :|

I tried a legacy and gave up just before the elder stage. I'm not playing a legacy right now, but I am playing with aging on. I switched the life length to normal. I have to have aging on if I want this mod I'm using to work properly (MC Command Center). Age-ups trigger NPC pregnancies. It caused Cassandra Goth to have a baby as a result of an affair.

I am afraid to watch my sims die, but there are copies of them saved in the gallery. I suppose I can always use them again!

Also, last night I had my first-ever alien abduction since I purchased Get to Work. I can't believe it took this long! I was playing pre-patch as well. Maybe it had something to do with turning aging on.

I will try those potions :)