Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

custom world error 12s

Hi Team,

Having gotten my game consistently working, I decided to try out some of the custom worlds that look AMAZING, like Jericho, Setra, etc. Here's the thing: I can play for hours in the EA worlds--I use EllaCharmed's fixed versions with no problems. When I play in the custom worlds, I get error 12s regularly. Even trying all the different methods of fixing it doesn't fix it for me. I'm not looking for fixes for error 12; I'm just curious if this happens to other players: more frequent error 12s in custom worlds than EA worlds.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Until recently, I never used any mod and for quite some years I abstained from using any CC (apart from the EA-Store items). However, I finally bit the bullet and installed a BootCamp partition and migrated everything-Sim to DOS. That worked so well, I started to experiment. Now I use a lot of NRaas mods and (maybe relevant to your question) a (huge) custom World, Aspen Islands (DL from MTS or directly from Marie's Sims). It's beautiful and though I do encounter some minor problems those do not include error 12. Problems do include: a lot of resets by NRaas for stuck proprietors of venues (but I don't use Showtime's SimPort anyway so for me nothing game-breaking) and spontaneous resets when visiting the grottos on the dive lots (which as far as I can see is basically an Island Paradise, i.e. an EA problem, not something specific for this world).
    Before installing Aspen Islands, I started 'light' with a tiny world called Ö. That world is specifically meant for the Midnight Sun Challenge. No problems there at all.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Could it be that the worlds have routing issues? Ellacharmed's EA worlds have had the routing fixed which is why they work better than EA's originals. Borked routing can cause huge problems with NPCs spawning where they shouldn't and getting stuck. So this would add to the Error 12 issue.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    Quite possibly so. The proprietors I was referring to always bork out/get stuck when standing near to the stage they are supposed to manage. Luckily the NRaas suite is good at catching them, so up to now I've never had them crashing my game.
    The only time I got an Error 12 in Aspen Islands was after having the game open for well over 24 hrs -- forgot to close things down when I went to sleep IRL. :o
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    Ah, @BluebellFlora, that's a possibility! I've been saving more frequently so I lose less progress. I really like a lot of those worlds.

@Ashpeef, I was having proprietors spawning weirdly in performance venues I made. In the third post in this thread is a proprietor placement override: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427515. It will appear in buydebug, and your proprietor will spawn wherever you place it. It fixed my proprietor routing issues.
  • Options
    When you use CAW one of the very last things you do before exporting your world is to rebuild the routing and cluster the trees. It's so simple but so easily forgotten. I rebuild routing frequently when I'm using CAW but have forgotten to do it as the very last thing in a couple of my worlds :( I rebuild during every CAW session though so it's never too bad. Plus liberally use non-routable terrain paint so you won't find a Sim spawned on a tiny area half way up a mountain!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Haha! I have Nraas' Overwatch installed, so I do see error messages a lot about unroutable sims. Lately I've been trying to play in Rflong's My Bridgeport, and I just assumed there wouldn't be routing issues because her worlds are so popular. Same with Jericho, which I can only play for one sim hour before it error 12's on me. I haven't tried Setra yet, or Sunset Valley 2nd Edition. You know, since players seem to care more than EA, I kinda figured custom worlds would work better, you know? I'd try requesting the CAW files and futzing around with them myself, but I never boot camped my Mac, so I don't have CAW. Alas. If I ever do it, my first task, though, is to fix Aurora Skies so the snow isn't ugly anymore.
  • Options
    Rflong's worlds shouldn't cause any problems :( Is it a size thing maybe? CC bloating it? Have you tried one of my little worlds?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    So far the only custom worlds I've tried are Jericho, which I love but error 12's constantly, and My Bridgeport. I think I may have found the problem with My Bridgeport: spending too much time in CAS creating my sims when I started. When I tried again, I did only the faces and hair, every day outfits, and traits in CAS. For the other outfits I'm using Edit CAS from Nraas' Master Controller, and now I'm not error 12-ing. It must've been a memory issue.

I am having a truly bizarre routing issue in My Bridgeport, though. A sim keeps spawning inside the high-rise shell that my sims live in. The mailbox says she lives on a floor that can't exist (4--the other sims live on 9 and 10; there's no floor or level skip marker between G and 9). I tried sticking a door on the ground floor and making it an NPC door, but she still throws her routing issue hissy fit and can't access the door. When I reset her, she just respawns there. Next I'm going to try adding her to my sims' household and then kicking her out. Hopefully she'll resettle somewhere reasonable. :neutral: I have no idea how to fix that weird error, though. No amount of googling has helped me find anyone else having that problem.
  • Options
    tamalinn wrote: »
    So far the only custom worlds I've tried are Jericho, which I love but error 12's constantly, and My Bridgeport. I think I may have found the problem with My Bridgeport: spending too much time in CAS creating my sims when I started. When I tried again, I did only the faces and hair, every day outfits, and traits in CAS. For the other outfits I'm using Edit CAS from Nraas' Master Controller, and now I'm not error 12-ing. It must've been a memory issue.

I am having a truly bizarre routing issue in My Bridgeport, though. A sim keeps spawning inside the high-rise shell that my sims live in. The mailbox says she lives on a floor that can't exist (4--the other sims live on 9 and 10; there's no floor or level skip marker between G and 9). I tried sticking a door on the ground floor and making it an NPC door, but she still throws her routing issue hissy fit and can't access the door. When I reset her, she just respawns there. Next I'm going to try adding her to my sims' household and then kicking her out. Hopefully she'll resettle somewhere reasonable. :neutral: I have no idea how to fix that weird error, though. No amount of googling has helped me find anyone else having that problem.

Do you use Overwatch and Errortrap? They should clean that up.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I use both. They didn't. :-/ The sim just kept respawning in that spot. So I used MC to add her to my household and then booted her out. She moved somewhere reasonable. Then a different sim kept spawning in that spot. So I did the same with him. It's a weird error: only coworkers of one of my sims keep spawning there.
  • Options
    That is a bit strange, like she's being stalked by her co-workers :) Is it when they arrive to meet her or something?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    No, that's the weirdest part. It's during work hours, and I'll get one of those pop-ups in the corner with a sim exclaiming that they have to leave; they have somewhere they need to be. Then I'd go to the ground floor of the shell, and there they'd be, trapped. If I used MOO to put them in the lobby, they'd board the elevator, ride to my sims' floor, and just let themselves into the apartment. There they'd watch TV, help themselves to leftovers in the fridge... it was so rude. So I'd reset them, and then moments later, I'd get that same pop-up, and there they'd be, trapped in the shell again on the ground floor.

I haven't seen it happen since the second sim I had to add to their family and then kick out, but then my sims have been in France. Who knows if it'll start up again when they get home.
  • Options
    Sounds like a routing issue around that building. How annoying!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    No one else has decided to materialize inside the shell! Yes!