Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Exception Raised Error on startup

NBielefeldNBielefeld Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
Hey so i have recently purchased the digital version of the sims 3 off origin, installed it and went and patched it to the latest update (1.67.2) and now after i click the play button on the launcher and the picture of the plumbob comes up the screens goes black and fullscreen like the game is trying to start up but then it goes back into windowed mode (still back) and and error message comes up saying 'Exception Raised: unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x0045f09f. Do you wish to debug it no/yes' but clicking yes or no doesn't matter because both crash the game and i havent been able to find the fix anywhere on the internet

Now this wouldn't bother me much because i would just play an out dated version of the game but i have also purchased the 'into the future' pack which requires the game to be updated

specs:
Macbook pro 13 inch retina (mid 2014)
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 gb RAM
250 gb SSD

I have tried deleting caches and have reinstalled sims about 10 times trying to fix it. i have expansion packs but im trying to play with only the vanilla game so they wouldn't effect it

please help
Post edited by NBielefeld on

Comments

• Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    It's a common error on Mac. See the main help thread for advice and links to further guides; http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/658546/latest-mac-help-threads-guides-please-start-here-before-posting-a-problem-updated-27-07-14/p1

In particular you will need to purge your RAM manually using Terminal to be able to play. The game can only access 2 GB of RAM but it chews through 'unused memory' at an amazing rate, eventually running out and crashing.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    You may also want to read this thread if your Macbook as one of the Iris graphics cards, as this may cause additional difficulties as the cards are not supported for the game: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/735231/intel-iris-pro-graphics-cards-please-post-here-if-you-have-a-macbook-with-intel-iris-pro-card/p1
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    OP, I never had exception raised on startup until I installed ITF, so I do wonder if it's partially related to that. In the meantime, besides trying everything @caspinwall suggests, you should look into bypassing the launcher so that you can play. Honestly, I'm strongly considering uninstalling ITF, reinstalling all of my store content through the launcher, and then reinstalling ITF.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Showtime did that to my game. Nothing I did got it working again. Eventually I got a refund from EA because I just could not get it to work.

Go to love how some EPs work for some and not others :rage:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thanks guys, i have tried everything now (bypassing launcher, purging ram, i put it in window mode, i fixed the iris graphics card) but it still wont get past the plumbob picture so ill just give up, ill just be able to play the EP and SP up to seasons and see how that works out :/ anyway thanks again :)
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Have you tried moving out your Sims 3 folder and letting the game regenerate a new one? Not really relevant if you've uninstalled and reinstalled but always worth a try.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Yeah i have still doesn't work though :(
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    It might be ITF. I uninstalled it, and I don't have exception raised errors on startup anymore.