Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When does my sim need to get pregnant?

My sim just became an adult and I was just wondering, when does she need to have a baby so that it will be old enough to care for itself when my sim dies of old age? I don't want to wait too long but I don't want to have a baby yet. What's the latest I can leave it?
Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter

Comments

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    There's no way to know how long the elder stage will last. I had a Sim who had a baby right before her elder birthday; she died at his teen birthday party. There's no way to know if that will happen with yours or anyone else's, however.

An option: If you get the notice that your Sim is in her last days and you are not ready for her to go, you can take the potion that will put her back to the beginning of the elder stage.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Ok, thanks! That at least gives me some idea of how much time I have.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    SandunSandun Posts: 94 Member
    In my opinion the normal lifespan in the game is too short. At first my sims died of old age before their first child became a young adult. And my sims usually have their first child as a young adult.
    You might set your lifespan on long. I tried that, but didn't like it. I could do loads of things, but it takes forever to raise the next generation. Instead I downloaded a mod by Darkgaia, "Tweaked Age Lengths", from MTS. IMO this mod balances the lifespan exactly right. If you don't mind using mods, you might try that. Then you could wait a little longer to start a family and live long enough to see your children start their own lives
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I usually turn off aging until I'm ready to have my sim get pregnant. That way i can take my time having my sim work at her job, find love, or whatever else I want her to do before she has a kid and she won't age.
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    After reading the title I had to duct tape my own hands together and then sit on them because o god there are soooo many things I want to type but they would get me in trouble. :D
  • Options
    I usually play with long life-spans and some aging off. Which is why I have no idea how long a life span usually is. I'm going to try to play one family through multiple generations. I just don't want to be looking after too many sims at once so I'm happy for each generation to die as the next gets established.

@Sue_D_Nim lol I'm so very curious to know what thoughts you were having that made restriction by duct-tape so necessary!
  • Options
    pinkknight1006pinkknight1006 Posts: 792 Member
    Sandun wrote: »
    In my opinion the normal lifespan in the game is too short. At first my sims died of old age before their first child became a young adult. And my sims usually have their first child as a young adult.
    You might set your lifespan on long. I tried that, but didn't like it. I could do loads of things, but it takes forever to raise the next generation. Instead I downloaded a mod by Darkgaia, "Tweaked Age Lengths", from MTS. IMO this mod balances the lifespan exactly right. If you don't mind using mods, you might try that. Then you could wait a little longer to start a family and live long enough to see your children start their own lives
    I usually play on the long life setting and then I age them up to the next stage when I get ready too.
    p.gifi.gifn.gifk.gifk.gifn.gifi.gifg.gifh.gift.gif
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    How to get a sim pregnant ...

well, there are a few ways. You have a daddy sim and a mommy sim ... and when two sims love each other very much, they have the ability to try for a baby ... they can try to have a baby in a few different places ... a nice double bed, an occasional observatory, a rocket ship .... and, after they do the deed the sims ....

to actually answer the OP, I normally wait till my sims are in the adult stage before getting serious about having a family. Most of the time the kid will age to young adult before both parents die from old age .... but even if they do not, teens can live alone. As others have said, you can buy the potion of youth to extend the elder stage
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Depends if your Sim is male or female. Elder females can't have babies. I think adult and young adult are safe areas to start having kids and they should be the right age in time.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    Sandun wrote: »
    In my opinion the normal lifespan in the game is too short. At first my sims died of old age before their first child became a young adult. ...

I agree ...
    My first Sims Family had their first child at the beginning of their Adult-Stage.
    They both died as Elders roughly a week before the Teen became a YA.

Even if we assume (as a comparison to Real Life aging) that the transition from Young Adult to Adult is at the age of 40 years, this would make its Parents just ~60 years, when Sims Child turns into a Young Adult ... which would either be just the beginning of the Elder Stage for its parents (if we assume that Elder Stage begins with 60 years) or even still within the Adult Stage (if we assume that the Adult Stage goes till 65 or even 70 years)
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    This topic is alot sadder than I thought it was going to be :'(
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think I might be a horrible person because for some reason your post @lovejess2 made me laugh so hard :D maybe it's just the realisation that it is kinda harsh trying to plan my sims life so the parents will die just as their children become teens/young adults.

I'm usually very nice to my sims. I just want to be able to focus on each generation separately.
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I play on normal and if I get my Sims pregnant there's more than enough time. I usually have three generations in the same household because my elders just take forever to die.
  • Options
    WedadWedad Posts: 1 New Member
    My sims are adults but when I try to make them try for a baby it says this sim’s household is too big. Pls help
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    In my gameplay, the sims are in the young adult lifestage when having all their babies. Then, they at least may be alive until the oldest heir is a young adult. I play on normal because the ling lifespan is too long and gets boring.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited August 2019
    Wedad wrote: »
    My sims are adults but when I try to make them try for a baby it says this sim’s household is too big. Pls help

How many Sims are in the household already? You can have up to 8 Sims in one household, including pets.
    Post edited by AyKooChao on
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I start my Sims' families when they are YAs to help maximize the time. I also play on LONG and age my wee ones up when I'm good and ready to do so. I found out the hard way, in one of my saves, though, that Long isn't the same as eternity. :s I was waiting for my Global Superstar to get to the top before I aged him to YA. Since he had two younger siblings that I wished to space adequately, by the time his only sister was where she needed to be (YA) and had met her future husband, I got a notice her new husband's mother's spirit was fading away. (I didn't even know she had passed!) Not terribly long afterward I did get the notice his father had passed. Ho-hum, neither got to meet their grandchildren. :'(

Such as life, simulated …

To answer your question more directly, I would guess that you start your Sims' family when you're ready for it. If all else fails, turn aging off.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top