Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Non-transparent Windows?

I'm making a building that is essentially constructed around a rabbit hole building, making my own look for something while achieving the same function.
I want to put windows on it, but I don't want them to be seen through, just external decoration. Do windows like that exist in TheSims? I've been kind of faking it with large mirrors...but...

Comments

• Options
    Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    No, all windows are functional in this game. What I usually do in this case is to create a wall one square behind the window and use either a black wallpaper, or (if you wanna get fancy) you can use different wallpapers for each window to simulate different rooms when you look at the building from the outside.
  • Options
    KeightKeight Posts: 86 Member
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Ah, well...thanks.
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @Keight, I can't help with non-transparent windows, but I was thinking if you are building your own rabbit holes, what about using Rabbit Hole Rugs or Doors instead of building around an existing rabbit hole? It would give you more freedom in the shape and size of your rabbit holes.

They can be found at a site called simsl3gacies
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    You could just use rugs and doors like I do and just build a community building they can use and zone the lot as a hangout,gym,library or park and let them use the building while the rabbit hole rug is placed in the basement and stairs allow them to get to the rabbit hole like I did for the school in my current game.I zoned the lot as a library and the school rabbit hole is a rug in the basement.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    I edit my last post: There is one non-transparent window that came with the Showtime EP as a stage prop. It is gothic-inspired with stained glass. You must use it in combination with the "MoveObjectson" cheat and the gothic window from the Castle store content.

Obviously this is a small edit, since the use for this type of window is very limited.

You could try using a normal window and then using a colorable flat object with with moveobjects on cheat. If you put the flat object inside the wall then it might work...maybe.
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    There are plenty of windows that are hard to see through -- the stained glass ones especially. You could also put curtains on the windows to obscure view. I find the thick ones from Gothic Glamour or Le Cinema Plumbob are good for that. Not sure if either solution will achieve the look you want, but it's worth mentioning.
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    > @sirguylittle said:
    > Keight, I can't help with non-transparent windows, but I was thinking if you are building your own rabbit holes, what about using Rabbit Hole Rugs or Doors instead of building around an existing rabbit hole? It would give you more freedom in the shape and size of your rabbit holes.

Well, mostly because I'm not entirely certain how they work. I mean, if I use one and then post my world publicly...will they still work for everybody, even if they don't have the rugs themselves?
    For that matter--and I've been wondering this a fair amount--if I were to use objects available solely in a certain expansion or stuff pack in my map, will anybody without those expansions be able to run it?

Anyway, the suggested window solutions don't really work for what I'm doing because I'm trying to build a sci-fi themed world using Into the Future and Lunar Lakes.
    That said, the Lunar Lakes rabbit holes are wonderful: they look sci-fi, they're small enough to build around easily...I'm diggin' 'em. :)
    I'd show you what I've got so far, but apparently I need to have been around a lot longer before I can post links or pics (stupid rule; what, am I gonna spam or something? C'mon.)
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    If you don't wish to use the rabbithole rugs (and no, if you use them in a world and upload the world the downloader will not have the functionality of the rug) I would suggest using the basement tool and placing the Lunar Lakes rabbit hole in a basement and build over the top of that. Place a few sets of stairs down down to the basement. It will work beautifully. The rabbit hole will not poke through the ground. You can build on a small lot and not waste space.
  • Options
    I've seen that basement trick, but I'm not sure why it's necessary; placing the rabbit hole on the ground level seems like it should work just fine. I haven't tried it with an actual Sim yet...but what I have so far looks really good.

This is a retro-future diner I'm working on right now (so it's not finished):

RetroDiner_zpsed82f68d.jpg

If you look, you can totally see the rabbit hole there...but it blends righttheheck in, looks part of the building.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Mostly the large rabbitholes were put in the basements. The LL's are smaller and will fix so it's no problem. :)

What a lot of builders did was use the wall paint with a pattern that looked like windows (recolored if needed). Especially for the stretched walls- not what you're doing but where windows couldn't be placed.

• Options
    Oooh rflong that diner is very clever!