Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I really going to have to re-install every time we get an update??

This is very frustrating! After the November patch I'm now seeing the code lines instead of options for pools and pool actions. This drove me nuts with the October patch and I re-installed, now its happened again!! I would have thought they might have fixed it this time round. How can I keep my saved game whilst having to re-install? Last time i started from scratch, but really don't want to lose everything again.

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Have you tried the "Repair" option? It's worked for some people and I believe is faster than a complete reinstall.
  • Options
    silverfawn20silverfawn20 Posts: 172 Member
    Thanku IceyJ I have tried that and unfortunately it didn't work for me.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I had to uninstall and reinstall my game this morning too, in an effort to get rid of numbers in place of pool animations. Luckily it worked. I didn't know about the repair option - can someone let me know where it is for future reference?
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    what could be causing this? are you using CC by any chance? I've never had to re-install a game with a patch update. Even with TS3
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    This is very frustrating! After the November patch I'm now seeing the code lines instead of options for pools and pool actions. This drove me nuts with the October patch and I re-installed, now its happened again!! I would have thought they might have fixed it this time round. How can I keep my saved game whilst having to re-install? Last time i started from scratch, but really don't want to lose everything again.

Can't you drag your saves folder onto desktop? Or will that affect the new download when you put your saves back in? O.o I haven't had to reinstall (yet) so I'm not sure.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    debykaydebykay Posts: 124 Member
    I had a problem download where my game updated but for some reason when I went to play the game it kept saying to update. I tried repair but it did not work. I ended up having to delete the game and re-install. Fortunately the saved game I was playing was still there after the re-install. I had removed all mods and replaced them after the re-install. My game works fine now. The only problem was the re-install was as long as the first installation.
  • Options
    debykaydebykay Posts: 124 Member
    Re: Sucom, "I didn't know about the repair option - can someone let me know where it is for future reference?" The repair feature is located by going to your Sims 4 box cover in Origin under "My Games" and right clicking on the image. Then click onto the repair option. You can delete the game and re-download the game through this method too.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

Can't you drag your saves folder onto desktop? Or will that affect the new download when you put your saves back in? O.o I haven't had to reinstall (yet) so I'm not sure.

Yep, you can do that. Drag the Saves folder and the Tray too (that's your My Library content), and Mods. Then you can delete all the other files, since you *want* the game to recreate those.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    OzeneaOzenea Posts: 48 Member
    I never usually log in to reply/moan but I have to!
    Okay, my game is completely clean, no cc no nothing. The last patch I had to uninstall and reinstall. The repair didn't work.

Today it's exactly the same :'( I live in a rubbish connection area so you can imagine redownloading every patch :'(

So the point of this post, I'm just emphasising it's not just CC :P there's poor sods like me that have this issue

Xxx
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    The problem is that the language package file does not get updated for people with this issue.

If you go to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client\ find the package file called C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client\Strings_XXX_XX.package (XXX_XX being your language like ENG_US). Check the date. You SHOULD have 10/30/2014 but you will probably have an older one (either from the beginning or from last reinstall).

There seem several reasons for this, one being you having installed that file manually because your game was in the wrong language (you'll know what I mean if you did this) or maybe a mod you had in at the time that prevented the game from updating properly.

There could be several other reasons.

Repairing does not seem to fix the file at all (even if you remove it) so reinstall is the way to go for the moment.

If you have this issue, please provide as much info as possible (such as did you replace/play around with this file, are you using mods/did you get an error updating, etc.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    MirrrrMirrrr Posts: 53 Member
    This is nothing. Sims 3 I formatted my whole computer for every exp.
  • Options
    OzeneaOzenea Posts: 48 Member
    edited November 2014
    @crinrict said:
    The problem is that the language package file does not get updated for people with this issue.
    If you go to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client\ find the package file called C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client\Strings_XXX_XX.package (XXX_XX being your language like ENG_US). Check the date. You SHOULD have 10/30/2014 but you will probably have an older one (either from the beginning or from last reinstall).
    There seem several reasons for this, one being you having installed that file manually because your game was in the wrong language (you'll know what I mean if you did this) or maybe a mod you had in at the time that prevented the game from updating properly.
    There could be several other reasons.
    Repairing does not seem to fix the file at all (even if you remove it) so reinstall is the way to go for the moment.
    If you have this issue, please provide as much info as possible (such as did you replace/play around with this file, are you using mods/did you get an error updating, etc.

Just out of curiosity... with the "next" patch, would it be worth a try to delete the language file before hand and see if a new file is added?

and for those who thought they'd try and remove the file then do a repair it doesn't work haha :p Reinstall here I come!

Thank you for your very detailed response :) xxx
  • Options
    I don't know cause I don't know what causes them to not update. Mods could be one cause. Certainly if you download the language file from somewhere else but other than that, I can't think of anything. I can only hope Maxis can figure this one out.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Httddy7Httddy7 Posts: 122 Member
    Hi, Just thought that I would add that I am also having this problem. I have no CC and no mods in the game. My game was originally downloaded from Origin (not a disk copy) and it is the Limited Edition version. I had the problem with the last update as well which was only resolved by a re-install. On both occasions the update appeared to go with out any problems with no errors being reported. The language file that you mention is dated 13/10/14. If there is any more information that may help, just shout.

Thanks
  • Options
    Which would probably put you to your reinstall.

Do you have both the game and Origin in English ?

@Httdd7
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    yes both in English. I'm in the UK.
  • Options
    Care to provide me with these files: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/Info-Request-Codes-instead-of-text/td-p/3903165 (first post).

If you haven't reinstalled that is.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    No problem. Not done re-install yet so will get those for you.
  • Options
    Great. Send me a PM at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    All done (I hope!)
  • Options
    Forwarded your files. I hope the devs can figure this one out.
    AHQ Tutorial