Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crashing during save--just thinking out loud here

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, since I've whined all over these boards about my constant crashes during saving. I played for over 100 hours before the crashes started. I was playing on high, then medium settings. I refreshed the Sims 4 folder, repaired the game, rolled back saves, used old saves that I had backed up, deleted cache files, etc. Yes, my computer is old and not the most powerful, but it meets the minimum requirements, and it played smoothly for over a month; I don't think my entire problem is in the computer specs. Over the last week, the crashes got so bad I couldn't even save once.

Today, I decided to try uninstalling and re-installing the game. As I was re-installing, I noticed something: the first time I installed (when the game came out), I was never prompted to insert the second disk. I was confused, because I had no idea what that disk was for, but the game played just fine, so I forgot about it. However, TODAY, the game DID prompt me for the second disk. Weird.

So, I put my most recent back-up save into the folder, opened the game, and, taking a tip I saw in another post, I only tried to save in "manage worlds." I played for two hours and successfully saved three times. The game crashed once, but that was while traveling. I rebooted the game, tried to travel again and was successful. I even made it home and was able to save the progress I had made while out and about.

I don't know if the re-install had something to do with allowing me to save, or if saving in "manage worlds" was what was effective. Who knows. For now, I'm just going to tentatively continue playing and see how long I can hold the crashing at bay.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Comments

• Options
    kathrynmarienkathrynmarien Posts: 239 Member
    Update--so far, NO SAVING CRASHES when I save in "manage worlds"
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    @kathrynmarien can you tell me where did you see the tip?
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    RavensHrtRavensHrt Posts: 155 Member
    My crash problems only happen when Maxis 'favors' a lot or sim and I get a popup for it and when I attempt to view anything in the gallery. It did crash when players uploaded or shared and I had them listed as 'followed'. I finally had to unfollow everyone so I could play. I'm fine as long as I don't try to open anything someone or myself has loaded in the gallery or if Maxis isn't online favoring builds. Origin continues to open numberous 'new Origin icons' in my system tray if I do anything inside the gallery, like its attempting to reopen Origin. I get the crash to desktop game stopped working nearly every time. So far I've no clue how to remedy this at all.

Glad you're finally able to play @kathrynmarien Best of luck! Have fun!
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
    ravenshrt_gamepack_zpscyv4apsz.png
  • Options
    @sholtx, no, I'm sorry :( I was just Googling stuff last night on my phone while I was in bed. I was doing searches like "sims 4 crashing on save" etc., and eventually I came across a post that mentioned the managing worlds idea (honestly, I don't even remember if it was in this forum or not--I looked at a BUNCH of pages). I figured it was worth a shot, so I tried it today, and it has worked every time. Granted, that's only about 10 saves, but that's 10 saves more than I could do before, and it hasn't crashed once when I've tried to save it that way.

@RavensHrt - I have issues with the Gallery as well, but not to that extent. I experience lag and sometimes crashes when I try to upload; at this point, if I want to mess with the Gallery, I restart the game, do all the Gallery stuff, and exit. Then I start it again if I want to play a family. This helps me avoid crashing/freezing.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    RavensHrt wrote: »
    My crash problems only happen when Maxis 'favors' a lot or sim and I get a popup for it and when I attempt to view anything in the gallery. It did crash when players uploaded or shared and I had them listed as 'followed'. I finally had to unfollow everyone so I could play. I'm fine as long as I don't try to open anything someone or myself has loaded in the gallery or if Maxis isn't online favoring builds. Origin continues to open numberous 'new Origin icons' in my system tray if I do anything inside the gallery, like its attempting to reopen Origin. I get the crash to desktop game stopped working nearly every time. So far I've no clue how to remedy this at all.

Glad you're finally able to play @kathrynmarien Best of luck! Have fun!

You can play with Origin offline, if you aren't using the Gallery yourself. Just set it offline inside Origin or from Game Options. You can do this anytime during play and the game doesn't mind.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    RequiemforasimRequiemforasim Posts: 311 Member
    kathrynmarien: i do think you are on to something with manage worlds saving. Im plagued by crashes, and your "trick" keeps working--thanks!
  • Options
    michaelolivamichaeloliva Posts: 49 Member
    Kathryn out of curiosity are you able to tell me about what the file size your saves are averaging? You should be able to look in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves\ and find the save files there.

Several of us have had issues, including crashing, due to bloated save games that are filled with TONS of references to buffs that they shouldn't be piling into the saves and the common denominator over at that thread is that all of us with the problem have played over 100 hours.

I will have to try out the manage worlds tip though and see if that helps. It still wouldn't solve the main problem we are having of the save game files getting ridiculously bloated all out of proportion.
  • Options
    @thewretched--I'm glad it's working for you, too :) I've still not had one crash while saving using this "trick." It did crash once when traveling, selling a stack of 99 strawberries, and changing my look in CAS, but at least saving hasn't been an issue (for once).
  • Options
    @michaeloliva - my most recent save is just over 6 KB. That doesn't seem huge to me, but I'm also not sure what I'm supposed to be averaging. This save has four families, each on the second generation. The manage worlds trick has worked all day for me. Zero save crashes, when before I couldn't save at all, even just a few minutes into the game.