Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC: To download or not to download?

Ok , so i've seen some CC that is utterely beautiful.

Here's the problem:

I am a total chicken ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ when it comes to this stuff.

My parents beat it into me to NEVER download stuff from the Internet. They said i could do it when i had my own computer - but unfortunately , now that i have my own laptop , i find i still have the fear of CC.

So.... any suggestions on how to get over it?

Comments

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    CC are not executables, can't mess up your PC, all they can do is to mess up your savegame so feel free to download them.

Make sure you use Save As ingame option before adding them to the game.
  • Options
    helenharryhelenharry Posts: 3 New Member
    Well CC used to be an issue but in the last few years there are some real trusted sites. TSR and Mod the sims are very popular and u haven't had problems from them as they check all files being uploaded and have strict rules for submitters. Ths sims 4 is very cc friendly so go to mod the sims grab the mod manager, install it and cc download away. Add the files remember the tag lines so if something corrupts the game or looks rubbish in game you can find it and easily delete it. Always d/l files to the same folder and delete the files when been copied into the mods folder to keep the disk space low and make sure you dont do what i did with sims 3 and have 40 gb of cc! My partner was really annoyed when windows took 15 mins to load. Hope that was helpful and trouble give me a shout happy to help as it is so rewarding modding and shopping for cc.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    make sure you dont do what i did with sims 3 and have 40 gb of cc!
    :shocked:

I can only say: poor PC! :D

• Options
    Klaw01Klaw01 Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2014

Here's the problem:

My parents beat it into me to NEVER download stuff from the Internet. They said i could do it when i had my own computer - but unfortunately , now that i have my own laptop , i find i still have the fear of CC.

I encourage you to download, it will create a better gaming experience. The only drawback is that you'll be upset with not doing so earlier.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I hate CC. Ugly, makes the game slow and just generally looks out of place.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    helenharryhelenharry Posts: 3 New Member
    hahaha i do have a TB hard drive as the main one and partitioned big drive with the installs. I had a rubbish pc b4 i moved in to my partners and then had access to his forgotten unused epic pc. I went CC crazy he said no game could be that big...he had not met a simmer b4 little did the poor man know! Now im checked up on but its beter he says how much about Gb on the pc than at the credit card bill!
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member

Here's the problem:

I suggest if you're that afraid, that you approach your parents and talk to them about it and give you confidence that your downloads will be fine.
  • Options
    SlashaPupSlashaPup Posts: 23 Member
    I had the same fear. Thank gosh I seen this thread, lol!
  • Options
    SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    I have been using CC for years and years. Yes, of course you need to be careful, but using the sites listed above is a great way to start. I browse http://mysims4blog.blogspot.com/ every time I sit down at my computer. There is some really questionable CC out there, but then there is some amazing stuff.

Start slow, pick a lip gloss or a new colored shirt. It is also good to learn where the files go, how to remove them, and what their file extensions are. I use a test world and test the mods and CC so it does not blow my game up. Remember to always back up your favorite save before adding CC.

I seriously am a CC/mods junkie. It is not scary at all! You can message me if you need help.

Some CC is amazing and some are done poorly, you can pick and choose to your liking!
  • Options
    slade520slade520 Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2014
    Advise.
    DO NOT, AND I MEAN NEVER, EVER, EVER DOWNLOAD FROM JS SIMS.
    The website he uses puts a virus on your computer. His cc is cute, I know, but dont do it.
    (dont go to the exchange for anything, youll get ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ boots that you cant get off.
    or nude body.) :s

Places I get cc from.
    Tsr
    Mts
    Anubis under the sun
    Brnt waffles
    Tumblr. <3
  • Options
    Jasmine01Jasmine01 Posts: 73 Member
    TSR and MTS are good.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited October 2014
    MySims4Blog is the place I go to for any new CC for the Sims 4. I haven't come across any problems with redirect links they've posted.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've always used CC in my Sims games, and certainly encourage it, if there are things you feel you would like to use. TSR (The Sims Resource) and MTS (Mod the Sims) are two good sources that others have already mentioned here. I would definitely check them out if you're interested in finding reliable CC.

Other sites like blogs, personal sites and Tumblr may also have nice things, and I don't want to completely put you off them, but just be a bit more cautious, perhaps, in looking to such sites. The advantage that TSR and MTS provide is that you can download from them without fearing they're slipping some kind of virus to your system. The more independent a site, the less assurance you have in that regard. Again, that's not saying avoid all other sites forever. Sites that provide some means for users to post feedback are helpful, in that you can see if lots of people have been saying they're using the CC and have had no difficulty, it's more than likely safe.

Once you take the plunge, try to keep your CC organized. You may find there are things you really like, and that some, once you get them in-game, you don't really use that much. If you know what's what in the various files you download and install, you can keep the ones you like best and remove those you really don't use. That's not always easy when some of the filenames can be pretty cryptic -- long sequences of hexadecimal digits are some of the worst offenders. But there are tools and practices that help. (Not sure how much detail is appropriate here -- might be getting a bit away from the topic -- but I'd be happy to share more if requested.)

Also, beware, once you get past your initial 'fear of CC,' of going overboard. I know I got kind of hooked on CC back with TS2 and grabbed lots more stuff than I ever really used. I ended up spending some time doing some serious cleaning to get things back in line. In general, don't be afraid to try out something that looks interesting. But just keep the things you really like and use. Remember that you can always remove things.

It's true that CC can cause your game to be sluggish and slow, but that's generally only if you're going overboard. At least, in terms of clothing, hairstyles, makeup and such. A badly written script-mod can definitely slow down, crash or otherwise mess up a game. But again, as Joxer pointed out, they'll still only affect your game, not your whole system. Generally speaking, it's the mods referred to as 'script' or 'core' mods that have the most potential for trouble. Those are mods that change the way the game works in some way. Things like clothing or hair are usually pretty safe -- though it's possible that a 'corrupt' clothing package could cause issues and crashing. Again, if you can read feedback and see that others are using the CC successfully, that should be a good sign that the file itself isn't corrupt.

This has gotten really long, so I'd better leave off for now. Hope that you find it somewhat helpful.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    mixedpinoyboymixedpinoyboy Posts: 40 Member
    > @slade520 said:
    > Advise.
    > DO NOT, AND I MEAN NEVER, EVER, EVER DOWNLOAD FROM JS SIMS.
    > The website he uses puts a virus on your computer. His cc is cute, I know, but dont do it.
    > (dont go to the exchange for anything, youll get ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ boots that you cant get off.
    > or nude body.) :s
    >
    > Places I get cc from.
    > Tsr
    > Mts
    > Anubis under the sun
    > Brnt waffles
    > Tumblr. <3
    >

It's crazy that you mentioned getting a virus from JS Sims because I also got one from that website a few years ago.
  • Options
    slade520slade520 Posts: 44 Member
    > @mixedpinoyboy said:
    >
    Yeah it tried to put it on my computer. I logged out asap. His cc is so cute, but not worth it at all
  • Options
    YourSophieLolYourSophieLol Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Guys! I was worried about downloading CC as well and there's no reason not to be.
    So recently I downloaded things from JS SIMS and I will never do it again.
    I have my own Sims 3 Series and the CC from JS SIMS gave me a virus and practically destroyed everything! (I had to re download CC, Mods and what not)

o:)
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    Back when I used to download CC (Sims 2) The Sims Resource was my main go to place. There were a few creators that had their own websites I would download from and I never had any trouble with them. But I was very, very picky about whose site I downloaded from and those were very few and only those I knew produced quality content. Out of all the hundreds of items I downloaded I only had an issue with one. Yet hubby didn't download near as much as I did and he seemed to have trouble with most. YMMV

It is safe for the most part to download from well known and well established sites but you should always, ALWAYS, scan the files (via your anti-virus) before ever opening them.

I haven't downloaded any CC for TS4 (yet) so I can't really say one way or another about current CC. I made the decision to not have any CC that I didn't create myself this go around. Just stick with the well established creators and sites like The Sims Resource and be sure to scan before unzipping and you should be fine. :o)

Happy simming!
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    Based on experience I would say stay away from it. Back in TS3 CC made me reinstall the game and all of its expansion packs. I guess you can say it traumatized me.
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    I just realized I have replied to a necroed thread... sorry about that!
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    My number one rule is don't go on Tumblr- that was how my computer got messed up. :/